Arcadia refit

sunny seas

Its the same with all the ship's refits - they have limited time to do the work so hundreds of workers are onboard to work day and night

Im so glad Arcadia is going to be spruced up - thought she was a bit shabby in places last Xmas

Caryl

The refit starts on 25 Nov and finishes on 15 Dec. it will probably be done in Hamburg or some other continental port so allow a day sailing each way within those dates. It seems to be about the right duration for a refit based on times of previous ones. The first cruise back is a two day one, which would not cost much to cancel if necessary but this is unlikely.

You should be fine sailing in Jan.

Brian

The refit starts on 25 Nov and finishes on 15 Dec. it will probably be done in Hamburg or some other continental port so allow a day sailing each way within those dates. It seems to be about the right duration for a refit based on times of previous ones. The first cruise back is a two day one, which would not cost much to cancel if necessary but this is unlikely.

You should be fine sailing in Jan.

Brian

Crikey they are going to be flat out to build and fit out those extra cabins, forward on sundeck in 20 days. Ah but those Germany workers are industrious people. But maybe the refit might be at Fincantieri in Italia where Arcadia was built.

Edited by NSWP

Crikey they are going to be flat out to build and fit out those extra cabins, forward on sundeck in 20 days. Ah but those Germany workers are industrious people. But maybe the refit might be at Fincantieri in Italia where Arcadia was built.

They may well have already built the new cabins. Info on the refit mentions a 'new deckhouse' so they could have pre built that and install it using a crane? Then you have to weld it on and connect up and test the services etc.

the area taken by the new cabins was my favourite sitting area so i for one don't consider it an improvement.

Love your comments in the footnote, NSWP! Great philosophy for everyone not just seniors! Intend to follow the advice. Thank you.

Extra cabins seem to be a fact of life these days, putting more pressure on the public spaces and facilities. Regarding sundeck space though, what is to be above the new cabins? Is that sundeck space up a flight of stairs or one lift floor?

Edited by tring

They may well have already built the new cabins. Info on the refit mentions a 'new deckhouse' so they could have pre built that and install it using a crane? Then you have to weld it on and connect up and test the services etc.

the area taken by the new cabins was my favourite sitting area so i for one don't consider it an improvement.

I agree, the deck area aft of the Crow Nest was an excellent roomy area. The extra cabins have only been put in for one reason. £££££££££££££££££

Love your comments in the footnote, NSWP! Great philosophy for everyone not just seniors! Intend to follow the advice. Thank you.

No worries, we have a few sayings like that in OZ. Also remember 'You cannot use that Visa Card in Heaven', 'nor do you want to be the richest person in the cemetery.' SKI - Spend Kids Inheritance. I think all us cruisers do that !

Edited by NSWP

Extra cabins seem to be a fact of life these days, putting more pressure on the public spaces and facilities. Regarding sundeck space though, what is to be above the new cabins? Is that sundeck space up a flight of stairs or one lift floor?

It will be sun deck up there from what I can work out. At the moment you go up steps to access the sundeck already there. possibly those stairs will move back a bit, to accommodate the new cabins. So yes you are losing the deck space on the sun deck, but the deck area next up will be larger, as it will be going over the top of the new cabins. I also acknowledge that it will not be so hidden from the wind up there.

Looking at the deck plans for the sky deck for next year there are 6 lifts going up there at the front, ignore what I have typed before ,not sure you will have open deck up there, seems as though East will be there. Sky decks shows lifts port and starboard, but sun deck does not show them....They must be there, just don't stop on sun deck....how strange.

It will be sun deck up there from what I can work out. At the moment you go up steps to access the sundeck already there. possibly those stairs will move back a bit, to accommodate the new cabins. So yes you are losing the deck space on the sun deck, but the deck area next up will be larger, as it will be going over the top of the new cabins. I also acknowledge that it will not be so hidden from the wind up there.

Looking at the deck plans for the sky deck for next year there are 6 lifts going up there at the front, ignore what I have typed before ,not sure you will have open deck up there, seems as though East will be there. Sky decks shows lifts port and starboard, but sun deck does not show them....They must be there, just don't stop on sun deck....how strange.

There are still some of the new balcony cabins on Sun Deck forrrad on sale for our Arcadia, Mediterranean, next April 13, I am tempted to pay more and change from our allocated cabin E98. But does anybody know if the new build cabins will be the same as the existing balcony ones, i.e. size and fit out? ? The 2014 deck plans don't show one a great deal.

Edited by NSWP

http://www.lloydwerft.com/en/Project-Detail/items/arcadia.95.html

details what work is being done, and where it is being done.

Thanks for that link.

When this refit was announced there were statements to the effect that the Globe & the disco area were to be changed. It looks like that idea has been dropped, and indeed the 2014 deck plans don't look any different there from the present arrangements.

• 2 months later...

Since Arcadia's refit starts next week, I thought I would post an update on what is expected to happen. Strangely, meetings are still being held to discuss fine details. The refit is costing in the order of £43 million or about £45,000per cabin.

On arrival in Southampton on Monday 1,900 passengers will be disembarked and the ship will sail for Bremerhaven at about 11:30 with 850 crew on board and 1,000 contractors from seven countries who will be living on board. They will have their tools and equipment with them so embarkation will be complex.

Upon docking at Bremerhaven on Tuesday evening, another three to four hundred contractors will join those living on board and 500 shipyard workers will board daily.

Since the galleys are being refitted in preparation for Freedom dining, the first task is to set up catering facilities in an area about five minute's walk away. Chefs, food, crockery and cutlery will be moved from the ship to this mess area.

The cabins will have new carpets, curtains and wide screen TV sets in addition to a general spruce up but no extra drawer units, for example.

There will be an additional 24 cabins in a block aft of the Crows Nest and these can be seen on the 2014 deck plans. The displaced sunbathing area will be on top of the new pre-fabricated block.

New cabins are also being installed where the Electra disco is currently sited but these noisy cabins will be for officers who currently occupy cabins at the aft end of deck 1. These cabins will then be available for passenger use.

The Globe will be enclosed and used for disco purposes after midnight.

The Orchid will be no more after sunday evening and will become Atul Kochhar's restaurant called East. Why not Sindhu? I've booked for the last night of the Orchid and the first night as East! Restaurant staff will be busy changing crockery and napery and being trained in the new menus.

The Crows Nest will be refurbished and laid out to make a better venue for performances while the Palladium will get rid of that silly wooden dance floor and will be re-carpeted. There will be repairs to theatre technical equipment including the installation of LED stage lights for better performance and power saving.

There will be a lot of maintenance that can only be done in dry dock and/or with the ship out of service. This includes servicing the sea cocks and changing the Azipod bearings for a different type; the significance of which Vampire Parrott will appreciate.

The engine exhaust will be fitted with "scrubbers" to remove harmful emissions and allow Arcadia to burn heavy fuel oil in environmentally sensitive areas.

There will be a technology refresh of navigational and safety equipment including new bridge radars

A huge amount to achieve in 20 days but I hope it gives a flavour.

Thank you MV Arcadia for this comprehensive posting. We are on Arcadia for part of the World cruise embarking in LA for 50 nights.

Shame the cabins aren't getting extra drawers as these are lacking on Arcadia.

Very excited to see the refurb of the Crows nest.

We ate it East on Ventura and Atul informed us that the Orchid would be one East at the refit. The menu was very good so looking forward to that. Hope the Orchid bar is staying.

Good luck with the refit and hope it comes in on time.

Any chance of photos as it comes together?

Sue

Thank you for the update I did wonder about the area where the disco is now.

Pity these cabins will not be for passengers, they could be used for notable moaners. So for once they could have something real to moan about.:rolleyes:

Just a thought:cool:

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

I wonder why the new officer cabins are deemed to be in a noisy area? The disco is hardly going to count with the average number of passengers in there being 4 ;)

Ahhhh but that is worse.... No bodies to soak up the sound. I have seen 6 people in there. Top that.

Thank you mvarcadia, interests me because I was on Arcadia WC last year and am on her again 13 April next year. They showed the football in the Electra lounge last year.

Great to get the inside information, yes a lot of work but must be worthwhile to P&O.

Edited by NSWP

Sue, I'm not aboard for the refit but will be back on 15th December and will get some photos then. The last meal in the Orchid was a very muted affair; mostly crew and no celebrations/party/souvenirs. Indeed, the carpet protectors were already going down around us. I was there with someone who had been at the first ever Orchid meal in 2005 and we were served by a waitress who had been there too.

I'll report on Arcadia's version of East with the refit update in three weeks time.