Almost "Live" Ms Zaandam 14-Day to Alaska (May 21 - Jun 4, 2018)

Crew News

I hope this doesn't come across as nit-picky because I appreciate, and enjoy, all your posts. The spelling is Sel de Mer (meaning sea salt or salt of the sea). Sol de Mer roughly translates to floor salt.

Thanks, I will make corrections when I have better internet connections

Roger Amazing detail! Did you do the helicopter? Thoughts on best excursion if you only took one?

Amazing photos thank you!!

Jo[

quote=scrappytraveler;56156034]Thanks for all your post. I went to look at the New Canaletto and the updated When and Where and they are not available. Hope it is just a quick fix for you as I am really enjoying the info. The Beverage post does work.

I did not do any helicopter excursions this year. Juneau was fogged in so I don't think the helicopters flew. My favorite excursion in Alaska is dog sledding in the snow. This cruise favorite so far has been my whale watching yesterday. I have been on many excursions so feel free to ask about any of them.

Did you find the boat to be crowded?

Is there anywhere to sit down and view out?

Thanks!

The boat had both upper and lower indoor seating, nice bathrooms downstairs, binoculars provided, and lots of room on the top open portion of the upper deck for photographers. I think the boat held 150 but was only 2/3 full.

We are doing this cruise in July. Do you think a wheelchair could negotiate the gravel path or did they have some toe of transportation available to the pilot house? If there was transportation did you notice if there was a long line?

There was an extended golf cart that picked up handicapped passengers at the pier and drove them to the Pilot House. I did not see any wheelchairs but several walkers nd one scooter boarded the whale watching boat. There was a long line at the Pilot House to go down the steep ramp to the boat.

The boat had both upper and lower indoor seating, nice bathrooms downstairs, binoculars provided, and lots of room on the top open portion of the upper deck for photographers. I think the boat held 150 but was only 2/3 full.

Thank you so much for the response!

Thanks for posting the daily schedule. It looks like there are plenty of activities and since we have open dining it will help me plan a few days ahead. I have never figured out how to make the dining room reservation system work for me but I will try! Do you know how the reservation system works on this ship?

Do you have a nightlite in the bathroom and how bright is it?

I hope the weather improves. You will be going up the Cook Inlet soon and should be able to identify some of the volcanoes off in the distance if it isn’t too dark or dreary.

I will ask about the pagers. There are no nightlights in the bathroom. My vista stateroom has two sets of curtains to close off the bed.

I will ask about the pagers. There are no nightlights in the bathroom. My vista stateroom has two sets of curtains to close off the bed.

I wonder if that blue light on the tub for the Jacuzzi would work for a night light? We brought one, so it doesn't matter.

Good review yesterday!

What are you doing in Anchorage tomorrow?

How about Homer and Kodiak....plans?

What have been some of your favorite past excursions in AK?

We have done the Misty Fjords boat trip and Taku Glacier Lodge flight and salmon bake in the past and enjoyed both.

We have done the Misty Fjords boat trip and Taku Glacier Lodge flight and salmon bake in the past and enjoyed both.

I forget what his itinerary schedule is for Homer and Kodiak. But I've given him a couple places to photograph for me that are Deadliest Catch related :)

He has done the Taku Glacier itineraries twice now and loved it so much (LOL, he loves the crab bake) he has plans for it his next cruise to Alaska:)

Joanie

I hope to be able to post the menus that i have collected so far when I get to Anchorage.

Suggest you bring a staple remover or you will be breaking fingernails trying to remove staples from the new laundry marking system. I think that I prefer the old laundry labels.

That's the laundry system we found on Diamond Princess this past April. It IS a pain.

Thanks for your reports and posted goldmine of information. We'll be on Zaandam on July 30, thus completing our R class collection. Next goal is a cruise on Westie as she's the lone Vista Class ship that has eluded us.

I hope to be able to post the menus that i have collected so far when I get to Anchorage.

Suggest you bring a staple remover or you will be breaking fingernails trying to remove staples from the new laundry marking system. I think that I prefer the old laundry labels.

We quit using a cleaner when they started stapling tags thru our clothes.

I'm waiting to hear about a staple through a woman's $400 blouse.

Was always fun to pull out something I hadn't worn since a cruise and finding the label on it-always brought a smile.

Tomorrow in Anchorage, I will be on the 25 Glacier cruise which includes a salmon meal.

Homer will be Best of the Bary and Kodiak will be Guided Wildlife and Historical Cruise.

Anyone else excited to see the line dance lessons on the schedule? Just me? Ok. :')I hope to see more of them! We are doing this cruise end of August, and I will be cupid shuffling, and whatever else they have with my kiddos! Maybe we get the wobble too. :'):')

FWIW I checked my bill and discovered that my 5* Mariner discount die Sel de Mer had not been posted with all of my other discounts, I was told by the Front Desk that my discount did not apply to a special dinner.

After telling the Front Desk that will have to contact Seattle for resolution, I was told that my prepaid Sel de Mer would be credited to my purchasing credit card, fully charged to my ship's account, and then the discount applied. Can this be so complicated??

Our family of three who were on the previous Zaandam cruise.....just told me about the staples...how hard they were to remove.....and how hard they were to remove without ruining your clothes.....

I am shocked.....!!!

I absolutely, positively would not want staples in my clothes....!!

Can you write "No Staples" on the laundry list.....would that work....???

Our family of three who were on the previous Zaandam cruise.....just told me about the staples...how hard they were to remove.....and how hard they were to remove without ruining your clothes.....

I am shocked.....!!!

I absolutely, positively would not want staples in my clothes....!!

Can you write "No Staples" on the laundry list.....would that work....???

Just for clarification, the majority of the staples merely connect both ends of the label to each other after the label is passed through any type loop/buttonhole. The only staple I have encountered through fabric has been on a white t-shirt that had no loop/buttonholes.

I think writing "no staples" will leave the laundry no way to track your clothing. It might just mean that the laundry would remove the staples before returning the laundry.

Just for clarification, the majority of the staples merely connect both ends of the label to each other after the label is passed through any type loop/buttonhole. The only staple I have encountered through fabric has been on a white t-shirt that had no loop/buttonholes.

I think writing "no staples" will leave the laundry no way to track your clothing. It might just mean that the laundry would remove the staples before returning the laundry.

My husband said that all of their t-shirts had a label stapled at the front bottom hem.....including the ones they just bought as souvenirs....

The old type sticky tabs were more fabric friendly.....plus isn't it fun to find them months later.....:)

Seriously.....this could be a deal-breaker on using the laundry again.....I hope they rethink this....!!

Looks like it was a beautiful day in Anchorage today.....hope you have a fun day tomorrow....and thanks for all the great updates......!!!!

Edited by Rowsby

After telling the Front Desk that will have to contact Seattle for resolution, I was told that my prepaid Sel de Mer would be credited to my purchasing credit card, fully charged to my ship's account, and then the discount applied. Can this be so complicated??

Not only can it be so complicated, but it is. I appreciate how you make sure they know this is their problem to resolve with Seattle.

I am surprised they didn't spring the "Night Auditor" on you. Maybe that excuse has been retired.

Glad you got it worked out (after a manner)!

Day 06 began with heavy overcast skies and rain with temperatures in the

I discovered a plate of chocolate truffles when I returned to my stateroom as well as a recipe card.

Did everyone on the ship get the chocolate truffles and recipe card or was this something special just for you? My husband loves truffles and I collect recipes.

Did everyone on the ship get the chocolate truffles and recipe card or was this something special just for you? My husband loves truffles and I collect recipes.

I think the truffles replaced the gold box of truffles received after a Le Cirque dinner. Not sure if anyone got them but I will assume so until I confirm.

Did you notice a bus or other transportation to take into Hoonah? I saw that there was and there was a charge but didn't give details.

I did not see a bus. I went straight to the Pilot House for my whale watching excursion.

Not only can it be so complicated, but it is. I appreciate how you make sure they know this is their problem to resolve with Seattle.

I am surprised they didn't spring the "Night Auditor" on you. Maybe that excuse has been retired.

Glad you got it worked out (after a manner)!

When I saw your post, II nearly fell from my chair. "The "Night Auditor fix" was the same words you posted. First time I have heard them as I have not had many complaints in the past.

I returned with a Comment Card after posting here and it was received by the same person who told me no discount on Sel de Mer dinners. I smiled as she read the card that also recommended additional training for Front Desk personnel. My card also included praise for my Room Stewards and the Lido Manager.

The Front Desk staff looked shocked when I requested 15 more Comment Cards. since the Front Desk does not have any, I was referred to my Room Steward.

So far my issues with the Front Desk have been: Failed to set up our APPROVED M&G, refused to give me the names of the ship;s officers, took three days to fix my pre-paid Specialty Restaurant reservations, and then telling me that my 5* discount does not apply to special dinners.

The rest of my cruise had been excellent but for whatever reason, the Front Desk staff has been the least responsive of my 29 HAL cruises. I will use Comment Cards that are read at the staff meetings to help the ship work on the issues before they appear in my cruise survey.

My husband said that all of their t-shirts had a label stapled at the front bottom hem.....including the ones they just bought as souvenirs....

The old type sticky tabs were more fabric friendly.....plus isn't it fun to find them months later.....:)

Seriously.....this could be a deal-breaker on using the laundry again.....I hope they rethink this....!!

Looks like it was a beautiful day in Anchorage today.....hope you have a fun day tomorrow....and thanks for all the great updates......!!!!

Same staple location for me too. Had one safety pin on the first day.