Daughter broke her foot in Club O2. :(

wr813

Just got back the other day from the Ecstasy. Pretty good time overall. Had a lot of huge waves, missed freeport but came back later in the trip. Missed HMC which was a bummer. Food was excellent, drinks were good, weather sure beat Wis. weather this time of year even with the 58 MPH winds at sea. One real bad part is my DD got her foot stepped on by an out of control kid who she said was weird all week. This happened on the last night of the cruise basically before bedtime. DW went to report this as DD was in pretty good pain and the counselor kind of blamed DD for not reporting it to her. Took her to the Dr when we got back and she has a cracked bone below her little toe and is in a walking boot for at least 3-4 weeks. :( DW called carnival after the Dr told us it was broken and Carnival kind of blew her off. It was just a weird phone call. I will try to do a full review in a couple days. All in all though it was a pretty good cruise.

Ouchie. Sorry to hear that, but I hope she feels better soon. I can't believe the Carnival rep was nonchalant about it. You should probably call again and speak with a supervisor.

Wow! Can't believe her foot was broken like that?! That kid must have been hefty or was purposely trying to hurt her. I would absolutely call carnival back, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't let them blow you off like that! I hope your daughter feels better soon! And vibe that kid some extra calcium!

We didn't know it was broken while on the ship. Just gave her ice and some tylenol and thought it was just a sore foot from being stepped on. Didn't think we had to pursue anything since DW told the counselor right away.

We didn't know it was broken while on the ship. Just gave her ice and some tylenol and thought it was just a sore foot from being stepped on. Didn't think we had to pursue anything since DW told the counselor right away.

Sorry to hear about your daughter and hope she is healing quickly. I dropped a can of coke on my foot one time and broke a bone and it was no fun. I am in the insurance business and see accidents like this all the time. On land, if your child was hurt on someone else's property, they might have what is called "Med Pay" to pay for medical bills(nothing else), regardless of fault. They only pay anything else(pain and suffering, lost wages,etc) if you can prove they were neligient(knew they had a problem and did nothing about it-in this case, had someone told the camp personnel that the other child should be watched as the other child was out of hand and could hurt someone-probably not). I believe, when you book the cruise, you agree to certain things in the agreement(most people, including me never read everything) and I think they will cover the issue about suing them. From the standpoint that the Carnival person you talked to was not very helpful-most smart businesses tell their rank and file to not say much-they sound heartless most of the time, but that is what they are told to do. I am not sure what you want from Carnival, other than kind words, but I agree, talking to a supervisor is your best bet.

Again, hope the little one is getting better.

First rule of injury is documentation. I'm willing to bet that the counselor probably didn't (nothing nefarioius there, they probably didn't realize the extent of the injury, just as you didn't). Unfortunately without shipboard documentation (i.e. from the medical department) CCL has no way of knowing when your daughter received her injury and it comes down to your word against theirs. I suspect you will have an uphill battle here. Hope your daughter heals quickly.

First rule of injury is documentation. I'm willing to bet that the counselor probably didn't (nothing nefarioius there, they probably didn't realize the extent of the injury, just as you didn't). Unfortunately without shipboard documentation (i.e. from the medical department) CCL has no way of knowing when your daughter received her injury and it comes down to your word against theirs. I suspect you will have an uphill battle here. Hope your daughter heals quickly.

Yeah, since it was reported after you got off the ship and you have no proof that it happened on the ship, you will get nothing from CCL.

On the bright side, she's young and will probably heal quite fast. Good luck to her! :)

What a bummer! Our feet take a pounding, it just takes one freak hit to crack something. My DS13 broke his foot last week while... dancing. I, also, didn't think it was broken and just iced it for a day before getting an x-ray. Who thinks you can break a foot dancing?

Anyway, kids heal quickly and she'll be 100% in just a few weeks. Good luck!

Just like an "On the Job Injury". If you want the company to take care of it, you must report it immediatly. Hindsight being 20/20, she should have reported to the conselor and then seen on ship board doctor. That way all ducks are in a row and travel insurance would be covering you.

OH, well...coulda, shoulda, woulda, at the end of the day, I hope all turns out well for your daughter.

Ouchie. Sorry to hear that, but I hope she feels better soon. I can't believe the Carnival rep was nonchalant about it. You should probably call again and speak with a supervisor.

I'm a bit perplexed, what would/should they do about it? It wasn't an employee that broke/caused injury. It was an accident that another passenger stepped on OP daughter's foot. Surely no venue anywhere would be responsible in anyway for that?

But it is unfortunate nevertheless to the OP, what a crap way to end a cruise.

Just got back the other day from the Ecstasy. Pretty good time overall. Had a lot of huge waves, missed freeport but came back later in the trip. Missed HMC which was a bummer. Food was excellent, drinks were good, weather sure beat Wis. weather this time of year even with the 58 MPH winds at sea. One real bad part is my DD got her foot stepped on by an out of control kid who she said was weird all week. This happened on the last night of the cruise basically before bedtime. DW went to report this as DD was in pretty good pain and the counselor kind of blamed DD for not reporting it to her. Took her to the Dr when we got back and she has a cracked bone below her little toe and is in a walking boot for at least 3-4 weeks. :( DW called carnival after the Dr told us it was broken and Carnival kind of blew her off. It was just a weird phone call. I will try to do a full review in a couple days. All in all though it was a pretty good cruise.

Sorry to hear your cruise ended like that for her. Glad to hear though that everything else went well prior to this event. I guess we know where the phrase "break a leg" (or foot in your case) came from now in regards to dancing? (sorry couldnt resist) Hope she gets feeling better soon! :)

hope your daughter has a speedy recovery. as what somebody else stated, yes your daughter should have reported it to the counseler and then you should have taken her to the onboard doctor (insurance!) who knows if the counseler said anything to anybody on the ship. by taking her to the doctor then calling carnival, what are they really suppose to do if they did not know this happend on the ship. did you fill anything out that this happend on the ship?

I'm a bit perplexed, what would/should they do about it? It wasn't an employee that broke/caused injury. It was an accident that another passenger stepped on OP daughter's foot. Surely no venue anywhere would be responsible in anyway for that?

But it is unfortunate nevertheless to the OP, what a crap way to end a cruise.

I agree with this. It really stinks to get hurt on vacation, but at least it was on the last night. On the Valor in 2009, my son broke his wrist when he slipped on water on the basketball court. This was on the first sea day:(

I'm not sure what you would be seeking from Carnival for this incident. They would have to be "on notice" that the "out of control" kid was a potential threat to the safety of other passengers. Not sure if his behavior was to that level and even if it was, someone would have had to tell Carnival employees about it.

I'm with some of the others, here. Sorry to hear of her injury, but what does Carnival have to do with it?

Its obviously just my opinion, but some of the reactions on here make me sad that this is what our great nation has become. Its probably a matter of time before Club O2, dancing, pools, and any other place/event gets closed.

I hope this doesn't seem too harsh to the OP. It's directed more to anyone with a entitlement attitude, in this type situation, or other.

Not to put blame on anyone. But just to share my experience when my son broke his big toe at the joint playing basketball last summer. He didn't even realize until he took off his shoes hours later how bad it was because the shoe had been applying pressure. The minute the shoe came off, the toe started swelling.

So we had to go to the Dr, then the hospital for xrays, back to Dr. Basically the Dr said no basketball if it hurt too much to play. He had a bruise that was looked like a ring around his toe. But I didn't think it was the refs fault for letting the basketball game get out of hand because his foot got stepped on. It's just part of life.

Broken bones happen. People stepping on your feet happen. It would be different if she fell down unlit stairs (Mom did this New Years Eve and broke her ankle and knee and spent 6 weeks in rehab because she couldn't stand unassisted - that's when it is a big deal) I know it sucks when your kids are hurt and you want to lash out.

Archived