Westerdam Explorations Central Beverages

Fairfield Nana

I looked but could not find out if you can purchase wine/beer/other alcohol beverages in the new Explorations Central area? Have enjoyed past cruises where you can sit with a nice glass of wine and view the gorgeous scenery, or just gaze at the majesty of the ocean as it rolls past.

I was on the Zuiderdam after they re-did the Crow's Nest area to Explorations Central. The bar and the cafe/coffee drinks area are the same area now -- in what was the bar. Frankly, it's a horrid setup. Often the bartender and the barista are the same person. It's loud, sharing the prep space is not good for either and it's difficult for passengers to know where and when to order. Also, by moving the espresso machine & other coffee drink accoutrements to the bar area, you have lost half of the seating area, in addition to the seats lost by the re-configuration of the Crow's Nest.

Of all the re-designs I have seen on HAL this is absolutely one of THE WORST uses of space I have ever seen. And adding the Journeys Ashore, Future Cruises, and Port & Shopping Ambassador to the mix does not help anything. Sorry, I really, really hate the new Crow's Nest set up and can't wait until corporate figures out it was a bad move. On the whole, it would have been better to move the Explorations Cafe to the now unused Atrium Bar!

But yes, to answer you question, you can order alcoholic beverages at the Crow's Nest Bar cum Explorations Cafe.

• Like 1

So, the same drinks in this new Crow's Nest's Explorations Cafe on the Westerdam, but any food left, cookies, etc?

The Crow's Nest sounds startling different now!

I saw maybe 5 macarons (the almond flour cookies not the coconut ones), or finger-size pieces of brownies at a time under a glass dome crowded between the register and the espresso machine. There is not the nice display of sandwiches and other things there used to be in the cases by the Explorations Cafe.

It really is a terrible set up for both the bar and the cafe.

But please note my complaints about about the new layout, the staff are are great as ever and deserve praise for dealing with being both baristas and bartenders.

Ohh, and if you're one of the passengers who was used to paying cash for a coffee beverage on the last morning to drink while waiting to get off the ship, they have apparently discontinued that practice. A good number of people went up to the Explorations Cafe, cash in hand, to get a drink and there was no one and no signs there was going to be anyone to serve disembarking guests.

Edited by ellieanne

Seriously...when did certain things(like the Crow's Nest)become so..precious to some?

It's not precious as such. But the new design is terrible. And they did take away seating so fewer passengers can enjoy the area. The ship was FULL when I was on the Zuiderdam and the Crow's Nest was not really useable space except on port days when most of the passengers were ashore. That's not saying the space is precious, but I did enjoy relaxing in the Crow's Nest with a book and a drink. It's not as easy to do that with the new design and the new combination of the bar and Explorations Cafe in one space is bad.

I am entitled to that opinion. If you like the new space, good for you! But I think they did the space no favors with the redesign and combined purpose prep area. And I think other may benefit from my opinion of the new space.

As has been pointed out, the Crow's Nest/Library(apart from the bar/Explorations Cafe) is not a money maker.See also the much obsessed over promenade deck on HAL ships(except for the Kdam and the Nieuw Statendam and the complaining about that has started already)

To directly answer the question, yes, one may order an alcoholic beverage, but the selection is extremely limited. There seems to be a passive aggressive effort to discourage ordering alcoholic beverages, as the bartenders do not offer to try to accommodate any selection other than those immediately on hand.

To directly answer the question, yes, one may order an alcoholic beverage, but the selection is extremely limited. There seems to be a passive aggressive effort to discourage ordering alcoholic beverages, as the bartenders do not offer to try to accommodate any selection other than those immediately on hand.

I did not find this to be the case. I found the staff in the Crow's Nest Bar go out of their way to try and accommodate passengers. In fact, I watched as the barista/bartender was berated as she tried to make a drink to a passenger's exacting standards, even going so far as to try and leave the bar to get the ingredients, but the passenger did not want to wait.

But of course, your experience may be different.

I did not find this to be the case. I found the staff in the Crow's Nest Bar go out of their way to try and accommodate passengers. In fact, I watched as the barista/bartender was berated as she tried to make a drink to a passenger's exacting standards, even going so far as to try and leave the bar to get the ingredients, but the passenger did not want to wait.

But of course, your experience may be different.

My point exactly: due to limited space and staff, it is difficult at best to accommodate requests.

HAL seems to be having a problem deciding just what the CN is supposed to be.

Not a lounge with music and dancing (evening). So, an all purpose area with coffee, limited bar menu, lots of view, but not a lot of seating in this huge space. Some books, computers, an area devoted to off-ship info (but not actual shorex tips), I presume. Interesting remake.

Wondering what other bars you would suggest other than the Crow's Nest? LuAnn

On Oosterdam (sister ship to Westie) last October, we enjoyed the Ocean Bar. Not necessarily for the view, but more so for the ambiance, good service and good drinks.

On Oosterdam (sister ship to Westie) last October, we enjoyed the Ocean Bar. Not necessarily for the view, but more so for the ambiance, good service and good drinks.

Not the Oosterdam (have yet to sail on her), but on all of the other most recently sailed HAL ships, the Ocean Bar has become my favored pre-dinner cocktail venue. For years, I just had to go to the Crow's Nest for my before dinner drinks. But, those were the years when there was entertainment during that time. I finally realized (I know; I must be a slow learner) that while I enjoyed talking with the bartender, I was among the very few guests who were patronizing the Crow's Nest at that time. And, I do enjoy meeting my fellow guests. I moved to the Ocean Bar, enjoying the music, the companionship of my fellow guests, as well as the friendly bartenders. Also, it was a shorter walk to the MDR!

Seriously...when did certain things(like the Crow's Nest)become so..precious to some?

When one compares the ships of HAL with ships of Princess, the Crow's Nest is a venue that makes HAL ships different. With the exception of two Princess ships, I think, none of their ships have an observation lounge above the Bridge. The two exceptions, I recall, have their Horizon Court (Lido Restaurant) in that location.

For comfort while sailing in scenic areas, the Crow's Nest is the best, in my humble opinion.

On other HAL ships sailing in scenic areas, i.e. Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, Prinz Christian Sound, Chilean Fjords, etc., the staff supplies folding chairs to accommodate all of the guests wanting to be there to watch the scenery. Is this now not being done on the ships that have had the re-make of the Crow's Nest?

Not the Oosterdam (have yet to sail on her), but on all of the other most recently sailed HAL ships, the Ocean Bar has become my favored pre-dinner cocktail venue. For years, I just had to go to the Crow's Nest for my before dinner drinks. But, those were the years when there was entertainment during that time. I finally realized (I know; I must be a slow learner) that while I enjoyed talking with the bartender, I was among the very few guests who were patronizing the Crow's Nest at that time. And, I do enjoy meeting my fellow guests. I moved to the Ocean Bar, enjoying the music, the companionship of my fellow guests, as well as the friendly bartenders. Also, it was a shorter walk to the MDR!

Thanks for that tip! We were on the Oosterdam for Xmas and enjoyed the Crow's Nest...but it was the older configuration. So I think we'll check out the Ocean Bar 2/19 on the Westerdam!! LuAnn

Definitely a shorter walk to the MDR! ;) No music there anymore... at least there wasn't any on Oosterdam last October. Awesome Happy Hour with hot appetizers though!:)

Wow, all the bad vibes! I just asked a simple question (which was nicely answered early on), and now an explosion of very interesting and passionate comments. I hope HAL is tuned into this commentary—some fantastic feedback about their plans for the E S C!! I my charge them for this in- depth marketing survey!

• 1 year later...

I was recently on a Princess cruise and loved their International Cafe. Their coffees and 

food was fabulous. Thinking of a cruise on the Westerdam - does it have anything similar! Where is the the best location on the Westerdam to have a quiet read? I loved the old Explorations Cafe.

George.