What do you disinfect when you get into your cabin?

CHAMPDDS

Okay...don't flame me, I am not a germaphobe purest, but don't mind taking a few extra precautions before using anything in the cabin, ie. the high risk areas..so a simple wipe down/spray with a disinfectant makes me feel a little better...For example, the toilet seat area/button, bathroom light switched, sink handles, phone, remote control, etc. get my attention...but is there anything else that you all concentrate on cleaning before using?

Again, I realize I certainly cannot (and will not) create a sterile environment, and don't go blasting things about needing to have some exposure to microbes for immune system health....I just have trouble believing that everyone person that has used my cabin bathroom prior to me has practiced great hygiene and that the cabin steward had plenty of time to disinfect the critical areas thoroughly in the short turnover time allowed...

D:D

Okay...don't flame me, I am not a germaphobe purest, but don't mind taking a few extra precautions before using anything in the cabin, ie. the high risk areas..so a simple wipe down/spray with a disinfectant makes me feel a little better...For example, the toilet seat area/button, bathroom light switched, sink handles, phone, remote control, etc. get my attention...but is there anything else that you all concentrate on cleaning before using?

Again, I realize I certainly cannot (and will not) create a sterile environment, and don't go blasting things about needing to have some exposure to microbes for immune system health....I just have trouble believing that everyone person that has used my cabin bathroom prior to me has practiced great hygiene and that the cabin steward had plenty of time to disinfect the critical areas thoroughly in the short turnover time allowed...

Your cabin steward has indeed wiped down and disenfected just about every "high touch" item in your cabin, and especially the bathroom. They have teams of people doing this on turnaround day. But, I usually take hand sanitizer and wipe down the door handles, remote control, and the telephone when I first get in the cabin.

I do the light switches, remote, handles on drawers and doors, spigots, telephone

and anywhere that hands may have touched.

I'm not a germaphobe either but think it's a simple precaution to wipe things down with Lysol wipes. Takes two minutes.

Having said that, I did have noro on my last cruise. I truly think that I brought it from home, everyone was sick at work the previous week. Please don't flame me - I was not sick when I got on the big boat.

I will continue to use the Lysol wipes. If I prevent it once, it's worth the trouble.

I also do a quick wipe down of the same things you do. I pretty much make sure to hit every light switch, door handles inside and out, and depending on what kind of furniture is on the balcony, I'll wipe that down as well.

It may not do much of anything, but it does make me feel better.

Yes.....my hands.;)

I've never done any of that and no one in our family has EVER been sick on a cruise. If this is something you choose to do then more power to you - to each their own. I wouldn't flame you for it by no means. But I trust that the cabin steward has cleaned my room sufficiently. I imagine they and the cruise line don't want you sick and having a bad cruise any more than you do. At least this is my hope:)

Thinking about all this now though, I'm feeling a little paranoid......you might be on to something.

Don't worry, I think there are more people that disinfect than you might think. My daughter is a kidney transplant patient so her immune system is weak. I always carry those travel Clorox wipes when we go to hotels, etc. Cruise ship cabins are no different. It doesn't hurt to be extra carefull! :D

I have never wiped anything down when getting into the cabin. I have also never gotten sick. What I do is wash my hand after using the restroom, and before eating. I also take daily vitamins. I have never gotten sick on a cruise.

Your cabin is cleaned pretty well. No they don't steam clean the carpet, but they do pretty much clean all of your hard surfaces that you would be likely to touch with on each turn around day.

Not a germaphobe either, but we do wipe down door handles, light switches, etc.

The one other thing I do is bring a quart sized ziploc bag for the TV remote, first thing I do after unpacking is stick the remote in the bag and seal it. Remote still works, and no need to touch the one thing that is always the dirtiest.

Hey Champsdds.....isn't it a shame that you have to preface your question on a CC thread with Okay...don't flame me? LOL!!!:D These folks can really eat you alive in here!

Nothing wrong at all with your healthy approach to cleanliness. I've always traveled with a can of Lysol as a matter of general principal; not only for use in the ship cabin, but for the hotel rooms that we stay in pre/post cruise. I tend to be more concerned about the hotels than the ship. I start out on the first day spraying the heck out of my bedsheets, pillowcases, blanket, shower floor. Then I use disinfectant wipes for other areas of concern.

After that, I'm pretty much done for the duration of the cruise. I'm too busy eating, drinking, dancing and having a blast on the ship to keep up that routine everyday. But do what makes you comfortable. Hey maybe I'll be "flame-broiled" right along with you...;)

wow :eek: ... hmm.. never thought of doing this.

what if your cabin steward needs to use your bathroom while cleaning..

do you disinfect everyday?

I'm going to guess that this is against their rules. The only thing I disinfect in the cabin is myself, in the shower. I will however, wash my hands before eating and on a cruise I'm a little more conscious of not putting my hands to my face or mouth.

Actually I am curious about the bedspread. I always wondered if they change them between passengers? Anyone know?

On the last couple of cruises, I have noticed that they now have duvet covers and change those out. I noticed that when they were still getting cabins ready for the new passengers after we boarded. Before that, I would actually take the bedspread off and put it in the closet. Too much Dateline NBC.

I am not a germaphobe purest

I'm not a germaphobe either

Really? :D

I think you both are exactly that. Nothing wrong with it, but you should just admit it, makes life a lot easier. Or actually it might not since you already start your vacation by being stressed about germs...

I never wipe anything, I always wash my hands after using the toilet and before eating and I very rarely get sick.

Do remember that your immune system needs some germs to keep active. ;)

Your cabin steward has indeed wiped down and disenfected just about every "high touch" item in your cabin, and especially the bathroom. They have teams of people doing this on turnaround day. But, I usually take hand sanitizer and wipe down the door handles, remote control, and the telephone when I first get in the cabin.

Not quite true in our case last week on Freedom. I should have taken a photo of what I found, but because of the previous cruise before ours, I took Clorox wipes and in wiping down the handles and doors I noticed some "crap" smears of stuff on the inside surface of the front door that the light coming in from the balcony shown up clearly. Nasty! I really cleaned it and it came off. Half the time I think they just spray with a antiseptic spray...which I saw in the cleaning cart. If I hadn't had the curtains open, I never would've noticed it.

Actually I am curious about the bedspread. I always wondered if they change them between passengers? Anyone know?

I wonder that all the time as well. So my solution is simple: First, I ask for the steward to remove the item altogether from the cabin. (I do the same when we stay in hotels too.) Usually the room isn't as cold as we would like it to be, so we find no use for it. Second, I always bring along with me 1-2 flannel flat sheets or even a lightweight quilt that I have (depends on number of nights we are away) and we utilize that as a blanket and actually we usually don't even use the regular top sheets at all, we just use the flannel ones or just the quilt.

On the last couple of cruises, I have noticed that they now have duvet covers and change those out. I noticed that when they were still getting cabins ready for the new passengers after we boarded. Before that, I would actually take the bedspread off and put it in the closet. Too much Dateline NBC.

Thanks cruisehappymn!

I am old school. I have lived for many years without disinfecting anything so I don't disinfect anything in the cabin or in a hotel. I have never been sick on a cruise (knock on wood). We all have to do what is best for us.

Me too! I trust my immune system, but I do frequent hand-washing.

You can't disinfect the whole ship, all day long we're touching chairs, buffet tongs, salt shakers, railings, bar rails, etc etc etc etc..:rolleyes:

And better re-do the room 2-3 times a day, you do realize that every day the cabin steward is cleaning some of those disinfected surfaces with the same dirty rag he used in the previous 5 rooms......

Archived