FLASH NEWS! VIKING STAR DEC 21st CRUISE - STOPOVER IN TUNISIA & ALGIERS CANCELLED.

Gnoelj

There is a train from the Naples station to Pompeii, and there is a cheap way to get a "private" tour:

Rick Steves shared tour with Mondo Tours mondoguide.com [and see Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports]

We did this and it was excellent. When you get back to the Naples station, you can walk across town to the museum, then walk downhill back to the ship.

There is a train from the Naples station to Pompeii, and there is a cheap way to get a "private" tour:

Rick Steves shared tour with Mondo Tours mondoguide.com [and see Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports]

We did this and it was excellent. When you get back to the Naples station, you can walk across town to the museum, then walk downhill back to the ship.

Jazz, can you give us the name of the museum you are referring to. Trip Advisor lists 91 museums.

The "Update on current sailings" tab on the VO website still doesn't make any mention of the itinerary change for the 21 December sailing.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

I hope that Gnoejl, the TS, will come back and share any information they learn about the cancellation. I guess it might not be until they board.

Hi everyone

I do not expect that there will be many people from the UK on this section of the cruise. The UK government put a ban on travel to this area after the beach attack in Tunisia. This ban was only lifted around June time this year. We booked the b2b 18months ago but cancelled because of the UK embargo. I am sad not to be cruising with you and would like I wish you all a very Happy Christmas in the sunshine.

The "Update on current sailings" tab on the VO website still doesn't make any mention of the itinerary change for the 21 December sailing.

I hope that Gnoejl, the TS, will come back and share any information they learn about the cancellation. I guess it might not be until they board.

And it probably won't. The page seems to be an orphan. I have never seen it updated. And were it ever to be updated, I think that the only thing that it would report is if a ship were going to be late in arriving at a disembarkation/embarkation port.

I'm on the January 4 sailing of the same itinerary. I e-mailed Viking to find out if our cruise would be effected and they responded with a phone call. In the course of the phone call, I learned that calls in Tunis and Algiers for the 12/21 have been canceled on advice of the State Department. I don't believe that we are going to get anymore information than that.

As I write, no decision has been made for the January 4 or subsequent sailings.

And it probably won't. The page seems to be an orphan. I have never seen it updated. And were it ever to be updated, I think that the only thing that it would report is if a ship were going to be late in arriving at a disembarkation/embarkation port.

I'm on the January 4 sailing of the same itinerary. I e-mailed Viking to find out if our cruise would be effected and they responded with a phone call. In the course of the phone call, I learned that calls in Tunis and Algiers for the 12/21 have been canceled on advice of the State Department. I don't believe that we are going to get anymore information than that.

As I write, no decision has been made for the January 4 or subsequent sailings.

Thanks for sharing the information you learned from Viking.

I can't speak for Gnoejl, but the members of our little group all received an email from Viking, the reason given was in line with what was previously shared by Peregrina. The text of the email follows:

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming
Mediterranean Explorations
cruise on board
Viking Star
. We would like to take this opportunity to advise you of a few adjustments to your 14-day itinerary.

Following information received directly from the US State Department relating to travel in North Africa, we have altered your itinerary as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew. We have replaced the ports in Tunisia and Algeria with vibrant Mediterranean coastal cities - allowing you more time in Spain and Italy.

Your new itinerary is as follows:

S-Med-Discovery-Envogram-Image.png

The remainder of your itinerary will continue as planned from Day 7. For additional itinerary details, please visit

Please note, any optional shore excursions linked to a cancelled port will be refunded within the next two weeks. To book shore excursions for your new ports of call, please contact guest services once on board and they will be more than happy to assist you.

Should you have any questions before your departure, please call Customer Relations at 1-877-523-0579, Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and Saturday to Sunday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, PST.

We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.

We also got a very detailed email on Saturday informing us of a change in the docking location of the Star in Rome, I'm not sure that the two are at all related, but thought that I would mention it as the manner in which Viking communicates changes has been discussed.

I can't speak for Gnoejl, but the members of our little group all received an email from Viking, the reason given was in line with what was previously shared by Peregrina. The text of the email follows:

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming
Mediterranean Explorations
cruise on board
Viking Star
. We would like to take this opportunity to advise you of a few adjustments to your 14-day itinerary.

Following information received directly from the US State Department relating to travel in North Africa, we have altered your itinerary as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew. We have replaced the ports in Tunisia and Algeria with vibrant Mediterranean coastal cities - allowing you more time in Spain and Italy.

Your new itinerary is as follows:

S-Med-Discovery-Envogram-Image.png

The remainder of your itinerary will continue as planned from Day 7. For additional itinerary details, please visit

Please note, any optional shore excursions linked to a cancelled port will be refunded within the next two weeks. To book shore excursions for your new ports of call, please contact guest services once on board and they will be more than happy to assist you.

Should you have any questions before your departure, please call Customer Relations at 1-877-523-0579, Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and Saturday to Sunday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, PST.

We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.

We also got a very detailed email on Saturday informing us of a change in the docking location of the Star in Rome, I'm not sure that the two are at all related, but thought that I would mention it as the manner in which Viking communicates changes has been discussed.

Thanks for sharing.

FYI There are demonstration occurring across the Middle East in response to Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. He lit a fuse.

Uggh. :mad:

The UK government put a ban on travel to this area after the beach attack in Tunisia.

26 June 2015.

FYI There are demonstration occurring across the Middle East in response to Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. He lit a fuse.

Hold on...let me double check my calendar......

This latest pronouncement from Trump has really inflamed anti West feeling. The beach attack was by militants already fired up against westerners and Trump has handed them a prime reason to stoke the fires of hatred.

Viking would be incredibly irresponsible to pursue its original itinerary. Its a great shame for the tourist industry in North Africa but understandably tourists are looking for safer destinations.

Trump has handed them a prime reason to stoke the fires of hatred..

The point is,that everything, (like the wife beater who says "Now look what you made me do"), can, and will, be presented as a 'reason'.

A small personal anecdote.......in 1963 I went overland, heading east, back to Australia where I was then living. Traveled through Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan.....etc, etc.

In Syria, particularly, we were asked if we were "Deutsch".......we found it prudent to say (in English) that we were, and were continually told that they liked the Germans "Because the Germans killed the Jews".....this was 18 years after the end of WWII.

Jerusalem is not a reason, it's an excuse.

If only that were so. Sadly I have almost too much experience of life and much experience of critical appraisal of sources.

Great...so you're fully aware that Amin Al Husseini, (the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, and Yassir Arafat's mentor), incited riots in the 1920s, spent time in Berlin during WWII as Adolf's guest, visited death camps, and recruited Bosnian Muslims for the Waffen SS?

But Trump & Jerusalem, right?

Has anyone mentioned that the "Jerusalem Announcement" is simply stating facts that have existed for many many years. In fact the US Congress passed a bill in 1995 declaring Jerusalem the official capital of Israel. This under Bill Clinton. There is video of Clinton, George Bush, Barack Obama all declaring Jerusalem to be the capitol of Israel. Look it up for yourself. Trump is the only one of these presidents to actually follow up on the 1995 affirmation.

I would like to someday visit Tunisia. However, substituting Palma and Naples sounds like a generous and worthwhile plan. We've been to Palma twice and enjoyed it each time by going out into the countryside. Naples is also very nice. Go with the flow, I say. At least everyone will likely feel comfortable getting off the ship in those cities. I would guess that not everyone would do that in Tunisia.