1st cruise: Costa or Holland America?

Humorisitx

Hi everyone :)

Been reading for a couple years and now ready for first cruise but I need your help.

I had my mind set on Nieuw Amsterdam next April but my TA offered Costa Pacifica for the same price.

I picked that Holland ship for the older crowd (we are a young couple in their 50’s), its look, promenade, reviews on food and service, plus only 2000 passengers with fewer kids.

Costa Pacifica looks beautiful but the most interesting factor is its shore excursions. It stops in Martinique and Guadeloupe. It only has one day of cruising so we would have to skip one stop, either St.Kitts or Antigua, if we want to enjoy the ship.

Nieuw Amsterdam stops in Cayman, Cozumel and Key West. We would surely get off at Half Moon Cay for the bbq since we’ve never done it.

After reading and looking at different cruise itineraries, and considering pros and cons of RC Oasis, NCL, Celebrity and MSC Seaside, I am now hesitating between the two mentioned above for our first cruise.

Any input will be appreciated.

This is always a tough on to give advice since we don't know you.

You said you looked a Celebrity. Of the five you have mentioned that would be a very nice one. Did you rule it out or are you still open to the itinerary.

Keith

Hi Keith!

I’m still not ruling out anything. Celebrity I thought was a pretty good choice until I turned my attention to MSC and then Holland America.

Our intention is to spend very little time in our stateroom and enjoy the ship. We’ll walk around, try the different bars/lounges, some swimming, theatre, play some games, library, workout. We’ll try pretty much everything.

We might not enjoy ourselves if it’s too crowded. That lead me to look into Windstar but I felt we would miss on the whole city-like experience of cruising.

Yes Windstar is really nice but a totally different experience.

I want to be very careful on this one but Costa will not be at the same level as say Celebrity or Holland. I say I want to be careful because every cruise line has people who adore the line.

Have you considered speaking with a travel agent who specializes in Cruises. We cannot offer a recommendation.

Now, let me recommend something. It is a book that is updated annually on cruising written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz and it provides great write ups on each ship and tells you a lot about the cruise line.

I used it for our second cruise and for many that followed it and get a revised copy every few years. I really think it will help you.

It can be ordered on Amazon.Com at:

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1780049781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516735074&sr=8-1&keywords=Douglas+Ward

Keith

Yes Windstar is really nice but a totally different experience.

I want to be very careful on this one but Costa will not be at the same level as say Celebrity or Holland. I say I want to be careful because every cruise line has people who adore the line.

Have you considered speaking with a travel agent who specializes in Cruises. We cannot offer a recommendation.

Now, let me recommend something. It is a book that is updated annually on cruising written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz and it provides great write ups on each ship and tells you a lot about the cruise line.

I used it for our second cruise and for many that followed it and get a revised copy every few years. I really think it will help you.

It can be ordered on Amazon.Com at:

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1780049781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516735074&sr=8-1&keywords=Douglas+Ward

Keith

Perfect, will order that book but I think I have to hurry if I want to book for early April.

I wouldn’t have considered Costa because I wasn’t impressed with all the reviews but the stops they make are tempting.

Thanks for your help.

Costa and Holland America have wildly different ambiance. It does sound like HAL would be a good choice for you despite being so young, but do not expect to find any activity on HAL after 8 PM. Neither ship will have much going on during the day. Has the agent actually travelled on either ship? Be cautious if they haven't.

Do not waste your money on the book. At best it's not very specific, much of it is just cruise line PR hype.

I know the ship does make a difference, however we’ve always cruises itinerary rather than ship because we are on the trip for the sites not he accommodations. There is a large variety of choices....so many that you will go crazy trying to choose. I suggest deciding where you most want to visit and find which ships stop there and looking at the rest of those itineraries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been on both Costa (Fortuna) and Holland (Veendam). I liked them both. Costa is more known to Europeans, and had a more international vibe- we thought the food was very good, some people do not like it because it is not always what they are used to. There was a lot more smoking on Costa and the ship had the same basic experience as Carnival or RCCL. Holland had a much older feel- we were in our mid-fifties and were among the youngest people on the ship. The food was good, but bland- probably due to the age of the crowd. They had a lot of nice activities during the day- cooking demos, craft activities, etc, but relatively nothing to do after 9 pm. Costa had a really fun toga party the last night and provided "togas" in your cabin with instructions on how to wear them- though a lot of people came prepared with costumes from home. It was one of the most fun activities we have ever done on a cruise ship, but I don't know if that is something they still do. Guest services on Holland was far superior to Costa- theirs were actually rude and difficult to deal with. Also, the port times on Costa were very short compared to HAL. You will have fun whichever way you decide!

I don't think Costa does toga night anymore, but they do like their theme nights :-)

I think you need to decide whether the ship or the itinerary is more important first time around.

If you are looking for enjoying the ship as a first time cruiser, then perhaps an itinerary with more sea days would be a better first cruise? I know I would personally hate to choose to miss ports just so I could 'experience the ship'. Maybe save Costa for a second cruise if it seems to port intensive right now?

I do think you might find yourself at the younger end of the Holland age group and food may be 'safe' familiar food, but comfort and North American customer service may be more available on Holland than Costa.

Entertainment will be different as well, as Costa has more magic or visual shows rather than comedy or verbal acts....due to the multitude of languages on Costa.

Books on cruising and cruise lines are often in your local library.

I have been on both Costa (Fortuna) and Holland (Veendam). I liked them both. Costa is more known to Europeans, and had a more international vibe- we thought the food was very good, some people do not like it because it is not always what they are used to. There was a lot more smoking on Costa and the ship had the same basic experience as Carnival or RCCL. Holland had a much older feel- we were in our mid-fifties and were among the youngest people on the ship. The food was good, but bland- probably due to the age of the crowd. They had a lot of nice activities during the day- cooking demos, craft activities, etc, but relatively nothing to do after 9 pm. Costa had a really fun toga party the last night and provided "togas" in your cabin with instructions on how to wear them- though a lot of people came prepared with costumes from home. It was one of the most fun activities we have ever done on a cruise ship, but I don't know if that is something they still do. Guest services on Holland was far superior to Costa- theirs were actually rude and difficult to deal with. Also, the port times on Costa were very short compared to HAL. You will have fun whichever way you decide!

That was very informative. Thank you so much, Kayjo!

I don't think Costa does toga night anymore, but they do like their theme nights :-)

I think you need to decide whether the ship or the itinerary is more important first time around.

If you are looking for enjoying the ship as a first time cruiser, then perhaps an itinerary with more sea days would be a better first cruise? I know I would personally hate to choose to miss ports just so I could 'experience the ship'. Maybe save Costa for a second cruise if it seems to port intensive right now?

I do think you might find yourself at the younger end of the Holland age group and food may be 'safe' familiar food, but comfort and North American customer service may be more available on Holland than Costa.

Entertainment will be different as well, as Costa has more magic or visual shows rather than comedy or verbal acts....due to the multitude of languages on Costa.

Books on cruising and cruise lines are often in your local library.

And also great input. Thank you, Mef!

FWIW Carnival is the parent company of both Costa and Holland, so if you are a stockholder in Carnival, you do get Shareholder benefits on either cruise.

When I look at Carnival Corp. cruise lines, I see they got Carnival, Costa, Holland, Seabourn, Cunard among others. Some of them don’t compare with the others so I guess I can’t rely on the parent company to judge one Cruise line. I know that wasn’t your point but I was wondering.

Those Costa ports do sound interesting but from what you described it sounds like you are cruising for the ships and activities on board. And it sounds like Holland sounded better To you for that. If you've changed your mind after hearing others say it's an older crowd, maybe you should reevaluate completely your ship choices.