Train from Civitavecchia to Venice

Taylor D

We are ending our cruise in July in Civtavecchia and we want to take the train to Venice for a couple days. Any advice like how far is the train station from the port, how much time will it take to get off the ship and get to the station, do we change trains in Rome? Any advice will help our planning.

Thank You,

Can't help with disembarkation advice, but you can taxi or walk from the terminal to the station in about 10 min.(look on Google Maps). The regional train to Roma Termini takes about an hour, where you will change to a high speed Freccia train to Venice (Venezia Santa Lucia, if you're staying on the island). Total time on the trains will be 5-5 1/2 hours.

You can look up train times and book advance tickets up to 120 days in advance on the Trenitalia website (https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=searchAdvInputViewer&cFID=ZmPA2IyrET0a ). You need to use the proper Italian place names - Roma, Venezia.

Advance booking can get you good discounted prices, but they are nonrefundable and are for a specific train//departure time. Or you can just buy your tickets at the station when you get there (full fare).

We are ending our cruise in July in Civtavecchia and we want to take the train to Venice for a couple days. Any advice like how far is the train station from the port, how much time will it take to get off the ship and get to the station, do we change trains in Rome? Any advice will help our planning.

Thank You,

Okay, I can help you a bit.

Last summer we travelled from the ship to Venice (Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal, obviously on the Grand Canal) after our cruise.

a) We arranged, through our concierge, for a car to take us to the Rome Terminnus. It's much better than taking the train!

b) Arrived at the Rome station in about 45-50 minutes.

c) BEWARE: there are no luggage trolleys at thec station and we were told that porters needed to be pre-booked! We had 4 large cases + hand luggage!

d) We had pre-booked first class tickets as soon as they had been released (not expensive and well worth it for more space and very confortable seats) which gave us a free snack and coffee. There was a buffet car as well.

e) Arrived in Venice (St Lucia terminus for the islands) and soon found a porter. He took the luggage to the water taxi. It was about 100 metres and he tried to demand 10 Euros! No way. I gave gave him 5 and dismissed him.

f) The water taxi took us to our wonferful hotel. We checked in about 17:00.

Enjoy the train ride! Enjoy Venice!

Can't help with disembarkation advice, but you can taxi or walk from the terminal to the station in about 10 min.(look on Google Maps).

Beware! You can not walk through port to the exit of the port!

However, there is a free shuttle.

When you get out of the port to the train station there are stairs - lot of stairs to get to the right platform. Also, the morning will be during the time the locals are going to work during the week. Booking ahead is a must!

At the Rome station it might be a long “schlep” to go from one train to another, and as stated there are no porters to help. Be careful with your valuables - pickpockets and luggage thieves, are notorious.

The train has no luggage lockup so you must be vigilant even when on the train.

When you get to Venice, know where you are going to and how to get there. The above poster who had arranged ahead of time for transportation to Rome station might have the right idea if you can find others doing the same on your roll call. While this whole trip from the ship to your hotel in Venice seems simple there is so much more to it. We did it twice and would never do it again after a cruise with all the luggage and time wasted. If you feel comfortable, look into renting a car.

Hal

We did the exact same thing last April.

From the Port they offer a Free Shuttle into Civitavecchia (about a 10 minute drive). The Shuttle then pulls into a large lot and their is a ticket seller that sells a ticket to the Train Station. I don't recall the cost but it was cheap. This bus takes you right to the Train station along with your baggage. Total time less than 20 minutes.

From the Civitavecchia you can purchase a ticket (in our case we had a pre-validated EuroRail Ticket). No reservations are required for the Civitavecchia to Rome portion of the trip but you will require a Reservation for the Civitavecchia to Venice.

The train to Roma Termini runs about every 25-30 minutes and takes about 45 minutes (for the express Designated with a FR before the train number) or 1 hour 20 minutes for a local (designated with a RE before the train number)

From Roma Termini There are Trains about once an hour. Reservations are compulsory and they have both first class and Tourist Class. The trip takes 3 hours 45 minutes on a high speed train.

I find it almost a necessity to download a program like Rail Planner (Free). It is a app for Timetable for Eurorail but basically can be used by anyone. You just put in From and To and day and time and it shows you all the connections.

We did the exact same thing last April.

From the Port they offer a Free Shuttle into Civitavecchia (about a 10 minute drive). The Shuttle then pulls into a large lot and their is a ticket seller that sells a ticket to the Train Station. I don't recall the cost but it was cheap. This bus takes you right to the Train station along with your baggage. Total time less than 20 minutes.

From the Civitavecchia you can purchase a ticket (in our case we had a pre-validated EuroRail Ticket). No reservations are required for the Civitavecchia to Rome portion of the trip but you will require a Reservation for the Civitavecchia to Venice.

The train to Roma Termini runs about every 25-30 minutes and takes about 45 minutes (for the express Designated with a FR before the train number) or 1 hour 20 minutes for a local (designated with a RE before the train number)

From Roma Termini There are Trains about once an hour. Reservations are compulsory and they have both first class and Tourist Class. The trip takes 3 hours 45 minutes on a high speed train.

I find it almost a necessity to download a program like Rail Planner (Free). It is a app for Timetable for Eurorail but basically can be used by anyone. You just put in From and To and day and time and it shows you all the connections.

Jim,

How far is to walk from first train to the Rome -Venice train? I was thinking of buying a ticket for both trains on TRANITALIA website and they give you about 30-35 min in between trains. Would that be sufficient? Or should we just buy ticket for Rome - Venice portion in advance?

Thanks

found a porter. He took the luggage to the water taxi. It was about 100 metres and he tried to demand 10 Euros! No way. I gave gave him 5 and dismissed him.

Wait, what? You can afford first class train tickets and a private water taxi, plus a luxury hotel, but you stiff the porter after schlepping all of your bags? Nice.

Jim,

How far is to walk from first train to the Rome -Venice train? I was thinking of buying a ticket for both trains on TRANITALIA website and they give you about 30-35 min in between trains. Would that be sufficient? Or should we just buy ticket for Rome - Venice portion in advance?

Thanks

I would say that it is about a 10 minute walk. We had a bit of trouble finding where the Rome to Venice trains left from... basically you arrive at an area of the terminal for local trains.... just walk to the main terminal and you will see boards listing what tracks the High Speed Trains will be on. You will also see these really sleek trains.

In our case we planned an hour but could probably have made the first train. We weren't in too much of a rush as our AirBnB would not be ready for check in until 2PM.

Venice is really easy to get around on the Water Taxi's. It is a good idea if you are going to be there for a couple days to get a multi-day pass (unlimited). Also for luggage if you are staying at a hotel there are lot's of "porters" around the terminal and outside. They take your bags and deliver them to your hotel. Not sure of the cost.

There's a good map of Roma Termini at this link -

http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/#

Our train from Civitavecchia arrived Top Right Corner at Gate 26 and our Train to Venice was departing from around Gate 9.

Wait, what? You can afford first class train tickets and a private water taxi, plus a luxury hotel, but you stiff the porter after schlepping all of your bags? Nice.

Funny! And we stayed in a suite on the 14th deck of Reflection and had a suite at the hotel! Also, we splashed out a lot on meals in Venice!

We don't earn very much but save hard, really hard, for our holidays.

The rail fare was cheap! About 60 euros for first class!

For your information, I am a good tipper. However, I know when someone is trying to fleece me. Please feel free to visit Venice yourself and remember to pay whatever a porter demands! You'll be taken to the cleaners!