Should we purchase transfers VCE to port

floralscent

We are considering purchasing transfers from Celebrity from VCE to the cruise port as we fly in the same day as we get on the ship, around 11 am and we don't want to worry about locating our own transportation, etc. after a long flight.

Does anyone know if the transfer gets you all the way to the terminal? I ask because I think I read somewhere that not all buses or taxi's can go all the way to the terminal.

I also read here on CC that the going taxi rate is approx $61 usd and since that is nearly the same as the 2 transfers we would purchase I feel transfers may be the way to go.

Any suggestions or tips?

The transfers or a taxi will take you to the appropriate terminal although you should make sure its also the luggage drop point (just open the window and ask somebody) since sometimes the luggage drop point is in a different area (always pretty close to the terminal building). You will be processed in one of the cruise terminal buildings and then there will be an internal port shuttle to run you over to your ship. Once you have dropped your stuff on the ship you would be free to come and go as you please.

The issue of a cruise line transfer vs taxi (or a private transfer) is open to debate. That being said, we generally prefer to take a taxi since cruise line transfers can sometimes leave you sitting at the airport a long time until they have enough people. While folks are waiting around for their transfer we just roll our luggage outside and jump into a taxi (if we want to do that direct transfer). Sometimes we prefer to take the inexpensive ATVO bus from the airport to the Piazale Roma and then use the People Mover over to the port. Here is the scenario that happens to many folks. They arrive at the airport pretty early in the morning (by 9am) and are at the port by 10 (or earlier). They then sit in an ugly terminal building waiting around to get on the ship. On our last cruise out of Venice (this past spring) we arrived at VCE at 8:30. Rather then sitting around the port we took the ATVO and then had a relaxing breakfast at a café in the P. Roma. A little after 11 we walked over to the People Mover (rolling our luggage) and went to the port. Keep in mind that using the People Mover does mean some walking from the People Mover station to the port terminal building.

Hank

This is our 9 th cruise but would be the first time we purchased transfers. How long can the wait be when waiting for the bus to fill with transfers? Ten minutes, 1/2 hour?

Thanks!

I forgot to answer this.

It depends. If you are the last 2 people on the bus, it will leave quickly. But if you're the first on an empty bus, you might have to wait a long, long time for the bus to fill.

Hmmm...maybe transfers aren't going to as stress free as I thought if there is a possibility of waiting a long time to fill the bus?

How easy is it to find a land taxi? Is it like a US airport when you walk from baggage claim to outside there are land taxis waiting for business?

Does the land taxi then take you to your cruise terminal? I am looking for simple and easy, even if it costs more.

I am so confused about all the different transportaion methods to get to the ship. It doesn't seem as cut and dry as US airport to cruise terminal transportation. Am I just analyzing this too much?

This is our 9 th cruise but would be the first time we purchased transfers. How long can the wait be when waiting for the bus to fill with transfers? Ten minutes, 1/2 hour?

Thanks!

That is the question, and one we prefer to avoid answering when it comes to our own travel. Transfers are unpredictable. When we fly all night from the US to Venice (we usually take a non-stop USAIR flight from PHL) we are normally tired and worn out by the time we get through Customs. At that point we just want to be on our way.

About 4 years ago we broke our own rule and decided to use Celebrity transfers in Buenos Aires between airport and our cruise line arranged hotel. We arrived (after a very long flight) about 8 am and were met by the transfer folks. They then told us that they were going to wait for another flight that was running late and would not land until 9:30. This meant a wait of about 2 hours. After expressing our displeasure we grabbed a taxi (and ate the additional cost). After that same cruise we were again staying in BA and used a Celebrity package that included hotel and transfers from the port to the hotel (about a 10 min ride). The problem is that the transfer company sent all of our luggage (for about 30 passengers) out to the airport. Thanks to a terrific Hotel Concierge (the transfer company and Celebrity were near useless) we were able to track down the luggage at the airport (Celebrity did not have a clue) and the Hotel arranged for their own van to go all the way to the airport to get everyone's luggage (which finally showed-up around midnight).

So, if I seem a bit anti cruise ship transfer it is simply based on experience (this time in BA was not our first time with transfer problems).

By the way, the postscript to our BA experience as that we took that taxi to our hotel, checked-in, and then want out and had a wonderful relaxing breakfast. We later returned to the hotel (after about 2 hours) and our transfer bus had just arrived and some of the people that thought we were nuts to take the taxi (it only cost us about $25) did not look happy.

So we prefer to do our own transfers since we can maintain control.

Hank

<< Am I just analyzing this too much? >>

Yes, you are. It's easy, and the airport is small compared to most.

There are signs in VCE directing you to the taxi line. If you're looking for them, you'll see them :). Definitely take a taxi over a transfer.

If you're travelling from the US, pack a change of clothes and essentials in your carryon in case your luggage is delayed or lost. There were 2 couples on our cruise whose luggage didn't arrive for a few days.

One caveat about taxis. They expect to be paid in Euros (its amazing how many folks do not think about this detail). If you do not have Euros when you arrive, just get some at the airport (we always use ATMs).

Hank

Thank you all SO much! We will just get a taxi and have Euros on hand. Can the taxi take us all the way to the terminal? I ask because I read somewhere that some forms of transportation drop you off mid point to the cruise port and then you have to walk or get another form of transportation to get to the port.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
Thank you all SO much! We will just get a taxi and have Euros on hand. Can the taxi take us all the way to the terminal? I ask because I read somewhere that some forms of transportation drop you off mid point to the cruise port and then you have to walk or get another form of transportation to get to the port.

Thanks again!

If you haven't seen this website yet, I really recommend it. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-port-transportation.htm

It helped us out a lot. It gives you all the options water land, expensive and economical.

It is my understanding that any land transportation (bus or taxi) ends at the Piazzale Roma so you'll have to get onto the people mover from there to get to the ships.

Thanks again!

Not sure where you read that info. A normal land taxi can take you from the airport right into the cruise port to the terminal building. And they usually do it for a lot faster then the cruise line transfers (where you often find yourself waiting at the airport for your van or bus to get filled) and for less money.

Hank

It is my understanding that any land transportation (bus or taxi) ends at the Piazzale Roma so you'll have to get onto the people mover from there to get to the ships.

Quite incorrect. Land taxis can and will take you to the luggage drop at the cruise port.

There are "hosts" in the airport that a happy to direct you to either taxis or the bus. We took the bus and it was fine. We usually take taxis, but this was very convenient and cheap for the bus.

Ahhh, but now you feed the confusion. There are no public buses that go from the airport directly to the Port... The Airport ATVO buses are excellent express buses directly to the Piazale Roma....but then you would have to drag your luggage across the piazza to the People Mover Station....and later from the port People Mover Station to your cruise check-in point (this can be quite a hike). That being said, DW and I often use that ATVO bus and then stop for some breakfast in the P. Roma before we head over to the port via the People Mover.

Hank

Ahhh, but now you feed the confusion. There are no public buses that go from the airport directly to the Port... The Airport ATVO buses are excellent express buses directly to the Piazale Roma....but then you would have to drag your luggage across the piazza to the People Mover Station....and later from the port People Mover Station to your cruise check-in point (this can be quite a hike). That being said, DW and I often use that ATVO bus and then stop for some breakfast in the P. Roma before we head over to the port via the People Mover.

Hank

I agree with Hank we have used the bus many times Aussie

Archived