Another attack in Marseille

delta13

I was going to do this cruise in 2016 and I planned to stay on the ship. Another choice you would have is going to a little out of the way town. I can't comment for anyone else, but for me, I would feel uneasy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave later this week for our cruise on 10/8 and starting to wonder if we should get off the ship at this port. Anybody else have concerns?

We stay in France for 5-6 months of the year and I hope to emigrate in 2019 (64th birthday today - 12 months time and it becomes possible!). I wouldn't worry about visiting Marseille, or indeed any other European port - I'd be more worried about the incidence of petty crime, such as pickpocketing.

If we take it to a (fairly) logical conclusion, we wouldn't stop off at Nice, Marseille or Paris; Madrid or Barcelona; London; Rome (because that hasn't been attacked and statistically, it must be moving up the list ...). We wouldn't visit the USA because of gun crime, we'd steer clear of Mexico and Columbia because of drugs crime, Jordan, Syria et al because of wars, the Caribbean because of hurricanes and drug violence in Jamaica; or anywhere within a 3,000 mile radius of North Korea in case one lands in the backyard.

Then, having protected ourselves by staying away from all these venues (and several others that will occur to me over the next hour or so), the stress might cause death from a heart attack; or, we may be so focused on where to cruise that we don't see that bus as we cross the street ...

It's a mad, bad and very sad world. But, as the Parisians wrote on the café tables after the Baclan attacks, 'They have terror - but we have food and a joy of life'.

I'm not being flippant - I have been mugged in Paris on New Year's Eve - I do remain vigilant in any large city and I keep moving until I feel safe - and then I pause for breath, a coffee or to take a photo. But I have no intention of cowering in a corner in case I am attacked.

The terrorists don't care about the murders of a (relatively) small number of anonymous people. Their goal is to scare the tourists away - the damage to the tourist economies will be more than that of a hurricane - but only if we allow it to do so. We cannot control hurricanes - but we can control our fear and our reactions to the perpetrators of such awful crimes.

If you are too risk adverse to deal with these latest issues, you might consider barricading yourself in your own home. Consider that more then 1.3 million folks die (every year) in auto accidents (around the world). or that Chicago has over 500 souls murdered every year. But terrorism generates all the press (it is not politically correct to talk about murders in Chicago).

But we do think that travel does take a degree of risk tolerance. Personally, we still travel (internationally) about 6 months a year and would not even give a 2nd thought towards getting off a ship in Marseille. We do not like Marseille, but love its proximity to places in Provence that we really enjoy. So when we have a port day in Marseille, we are there just long enough to get a rental car, get on a train, or use a regional bus. And none of that has anything to do with terrorism....as we just do not like Marseille. The reality is that Marseille has about the highest crime rate in France....and has been listed as one of the 10 most dangerous cities in Europe. But we have always felt comfortable in the major tourist areas....or just getting to our chosen form of transportation.

If you are truly frightened......then you might consider taking a cruise line excursion (being on any cruise ship excursion frightens me more then terrorists) which will put you on a bus at the port....and drive you another destination.

Hank

Its my old stubborn military attitude. When terrorists change my travel habits...it means they have won! Or put another way, what good is personal freedom when we put ourselves into a prison of our own making. Back in the winter of '91, a combination of factors (Gulf War, terrorism, IRA issues) stopped nearly all tourists from flying or going to London. I heard this on a radio show (while at work) and immediately called British Air and booked a long weekend in London. Brit Air gave us an amazing deal and we also managed to get a terrific price for a top Mayfair hotel. Flew to an empty London, grabbed some cheap tickets at Leicester Square...and saw Miss Saigon and also Starlight Express at amazing prices (and the theaters were not full). It was a memorable trip....and the desk clerk at our hotel even thanked us for coming to London. We had a great time. When we took the tube out to Heathrow to fly home (Feb 18, 1991) there was another IRA bombing at Victoria Station. I was so angry.....we wanted to take the tube back into the city for a few more days....but had to get home for work.

That is how our western society can defeat terrorism! Putting one's head in the sand will just get your rear sandblasted :).

Hank

I don't consider it appropriate to compare tragedies and does a disservice to the victims. This is not a contest to see which country has more deaths. To me, it is only a matter of whether the OP is comfortable and that is purely an individual decision

It's a personal decision but for me I would get off the ship.

Look what happened today in the USA. 500 people injured. 50 or more dead. Do we not go anywhere anymore?

My wife and I spent a week in Paris a few months ago. Had the time of our lives. Could something happen? Yes.

I believe though that the chances of something happening are far lower then say driving in an automobile.

Life is short. Life is like a book. Each day is a new chapter and no one knows when that last chapter will be written. So we will enjoy each day and that includes travel.

Keith

We leave later this week for our cruise on 10/8 and starting to wonder if we should get off the ship at this port. Anybody else have concerns?

Marseilles is great and very safe, nice stop and can walk around the old section and marina. Certainly safer than any USA city, as is most of Europe. We were there last week an really enjoyed our Celebrity stop at Marseille.

I don't consider it appropriate to compare tragedies and does a disservice to the victims. This is not a contest to see which country has more deaths. To me, it is only a matter of whether the OP is comfortable and that is purely an individual decision

Why is it a "disservice to the victims" to compare two tragedies that both took place in locations that are frequently visited by tourists and both resulted in casualties at the hands of a single person? It seems like a highly relevant comparison to me. Whether we in the US like to admit it or not, we have had two attacks in the last two years that were carried out in areas highly visited by tourists from outside the US (Orlando, Las Vegas) -- both of which resulted in a horrific number of casualties.

Of course it is a matter of whether the OP is comfortable, but he/she specifically asked for the feelings/opinions of others.

We just returned from 2 cruises last week.

On 17 September we had a day in Marseille. We caught the shuttle into the city and spent the day on our own (2 of us) walking this lovely city - did about 25 kilometres on foot. We had no issues at all and loved the sights. This day ranked as one of the best during our 5 weeks travelling.

Questions have also been raised about safety in Barcelona. Ok, the situation seems to have deteriorated in the last few days, but we had a day in Barcelona on 19 September and again, walked around on our own - did about 20 kilometres on foot. A couple of days before we had actually had a letter from the cruiseline (HAL) warning us of safety issues in Barcelona, and suggesting that HAL excursions were the best option. We did not see anything to concern us in our day ashore.

Everyone has their own level of comfort, but we would not hesitate to explore Marseille or Barcelona on our own at the moment. Of course you have to be alert to your surroundings and common sense should prevail.

I think it is a disservice, cruise mom. Sorry. The victims have not even been identified or removed yet and I don't think it is fair to use it to argue about which country is safer than the other at this time. But that is my feelings.

I agree about being alert to your surroundings, roaming. No matter where you are. Things that I did just 2 years ago, I would be more cautious today. I am more cautious than many. I don't walk around at night and I stay away from crowds. I think it is hard to advise others what to do because everyone has their own comfort level. And all the places are lovely. It is just a shame that terrorists are doing this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums