Moving over to next cruise,penalty?

i had booked a transatlantic on the Jewel for next spring, then decided on the next one to Croatia, called mt travel agent and he told me quite snakily that I would lose my deposit if I did that? I booked a refundable deposit and he said the cruise line regards it as a new cruise and would require a new deposit, have booked 6 cruises with this agency and never any issues. Is this true?

i had booked a transatlantic on the Jewel for next spring, then decided on the next one to Croatia, called mt travel agent and he told me quite snakily that I would lose my deposit if I did that? I booked a refundable deposit and he said the cruise line regards it as a new cruise and would require a new deposit, have booked 6 cruises with this agency and never any issues. Is this true?

Is it a US agent?

Is it a US agent?

I emailed and asked for my cruise to be changed, he said I had not booked with they, so I called and gave him my reservation number. I also apologized for my voice explaining that I had pneumonia and he said I should have waited until Monday to call,very rude.

It doesn't sound like you have an issue, only that you don't like the way the cruise ship chooses to do things! If you have a refundable deposit, it will be refunded but I'm guessing there is some paperwork (RCI is massively segmented and individual departments don't really seem to talk or work with each other so there is probably a booking department and and separate refund department). Seems like you have two choices. If you are confident that the cruise you booked is refundable, book your new cruise, put down the deposit and then wait for your refund from the other cruise. If you are not confident it is refundable or you don't have enough money for the new cruise, then cancel the original cruise, wait for the refund and then apply it to the new cruise (risky of course as specials and cabins will be booking up while you wait!) Sure, it seems logical and easy for RCI to simply take your refundable deposit and apply it to your new cruise but RCI doesn't do anything the "easy" way! You may just have to live with that.

I'm thinking that your travel agent is imposing some of their rules on you, rules that are over and above what the cruise line requires.

If this is a US agent then you need a new one. We've changed many cruises booking direct and Royal just moved the deposit to the new sailing. I don't see why a US TA can't get that done for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last time we did this was changing cruise date by a few weeks, but similar sailings (before the refundable/non-refundable). TA just moved the deposits to the new cruise.

I just changed my cruise yesterday with my TA. No muss; no fuss. The only difference was that I had to put more money down, because I went from a refundable deposit to a non-refundable deposit. No biggie. I don't know why your TA is making this difficult.