Canadian Cruise with kid who won't do kid's club

Rileyz

Looking into the Carnival Glory this summer, 5 day out of Boston. The only kid's club my child will do is Disney and that is with her cousins. Will there be enough for us to do with her if she doesn't go to Camp Carnival? She is 7. Thanks for the info and help :)

Looking into the Carnival Glory this summer, 5 day out of Boston. The only kid's club my child will do is Disney and that is with her cousins. Will there be enough for us to do with her if she doesn't go to Camp Carnival? She is 7. Thanks for the info and help :)

I'm sorry and maybe I'm reading this wrong but in what world does a 7 year old tell you what they "won't do" and "will do"? From what I've seen on every Carnival Cruise that we have been on, the kids appear to have an absolute blast. Maybe I'm older but when I was 7 my choices were limited to Please, thank-you and How do you do?

If I am not mistaken, I think the OP is saying that her child doesnt want to go to the kids club and she wants her child to enjoy the cruise as much as possible.

I gave my children the choice when I cruise. This first time my DD (7 at the time) did the kids club and loved it (But missed us alot) and my DS (12 at the time) did not do it because he does not like to interact with folks all that much. The second cruise I went on, both did not do the kids club and we have a great time.

IMO - it is family time and I totally enjoy being with my family and would not really want my children to be without me on vacation all those hours.

To answer the OP's question. I believe you can definately find things to do with your children to thoughouly enjoy the vacation. And if they are bored the first night or second night maybe they will change their minds and go to the kids club.

I would never force my children to do something I feel they will enjoy if they dont want to do it. This is my family vacation and they have some say in what happens. I believe people who force their children against their will to do thing like this are just trying to get rid of their kids in order to do things on their own and I want to experience it all with my family.

We did the 5 day Canada cruise this past August. Our kids were 12, 12 and 14 (DS-14 brought a friend also 14). My kids won't do the kid clubs on CCL either...they also liked the club on the Disney cruise when they were 8, 8 and 10. Honestly, they were bored on this cruise...but bored with the ports and the 14 year old boys were a little bored on the ship (they liked to eat and there was plenty of food to be found, so they did enjoy that). The 12 year olds (my twin girls) had more fun on the ship. They like the slide and hot tubs and even hopped in the ice cold pool one night while watching a movie on the big screen (the boys even joined them for a bit). They liked to go watch karaoke with DH and I...they'd go to the shows and family friendly comedy shows with us. They like to play bingo with me and we did that several times with no luck:(. They also like to play ping-pong and putt-putt and did that on occasion. They too liked getting food whenever they wanted (especially ice cream). We had a balcony (DH, the girls and I...they boys were across the hall in an inside) and they enjoyed sitting with me on the balcony especially when going in and out of the ports. All 4 kids liked to go in the arcade and my girls enjoyed some choc covered strawberries from the coffee bar while the boys got a big bag of candy from the bins in the special occasions store. We got them all soda cards and they loved to go up to the bars to order their sodas. The boys also enjoyed ordering room service a few times (I just had to tell them to tip a couple bucks...they didn't know that the 1st time they did it :o). All the kids loved to go to the MDR each night...DH and I tried to skip it a couple times (we didn't want to dress up or spend 1.5 hours at dinner...just wanted to go to the buffet real quick and go do other stuff), but the kids over-ruled us and we went to the MDR EVERY night. We considered letting them go by themselves (all 4 of them together), but I didn't want them to iritate anybody (DS might have ordered 5 apps and 3 meals and 4 desserts or something). I think your 7 year old will have fun. You may have to find some interesting excursions to do in port...we kind of just toured and the kids wanted to know when we were going to the beach.

I think that since this is a summer cruise, it can be done. Other families will bring their children so she'll likely make some friends. Maybe take a peek at the roll call and see if anyone else has kids her age? She could start emailing them so when she meets them, she already has friends to hang out with. And you could start getting to know the parents to see if once on board, she could hang out with her new friends under those parents' supervision.

Are you going in your own group that has kids her age? Or is she just planning on spending the entire time with you? I would hate to think what might happen should she not make friends and not want to go to the kids clubs. Guess that's part of parenting, but be prepared to sacrifice something you might want to do if her friends aren't around and she's tethered to you.

You might also see if they can note on your account once you book, that you would like to be seated at dinner with a group that has kids her age.

The only downside I see is that even in the summer (I cruised to Canada in June) it's not going to be swimming or layout on the deck weather, which might limit some of the activities that they have available on other sailings.

We are taking our boys on a four day in June. I know at least the youngest (12) will not join the kids' clubs. He is not into socializing with strangers. I'm taking a multi board game combo (chess,checkers....),cards and stuff like that,we can all play together. 24 hours pizza and grilled cheese will keep him happy. We are fine with being with them.

We just had our 7 year old on her 2nd cruise, our 3rd, this past January (Legend). She is not a huge fan on Camp Carnival either, and we have a few minor issues with it. On the last cruise of 7 days she went for a toal of 3 hours one day and 1-2 hours on another. She prefers to hang with us and swim, relax, see a show, play trivia or board game etc.

Each kid is different. My sister's kid loves Camp carnival and would live there if she could.

I'm sorry and maybe I'm reading this wrong but in what world does a 7 year old tell you what they "won't do" and "will do"? From what I've seen on every Carnival Cruise that we have been on, the kids appear to have an absolute blast. Maybe I'm older but when I was 7 my choices were limited to Please, thank-you and How do you do?

You would go on a family vacation and shove your kid in camp carnival even if they didn't want to...because you're the parent???

:rolleyes:

OP, I would not recommend a Canada cruise with kids...it's just not kid 'fun'.

What Capette said ;)

Thanks for giving me your insight everyone! For this cruise it is just the 3 of us so she wouldn't know any other kids ahead of time. She is very shy, but a great kid. I would never force her to spend time with strangers. She was a trooper and gave it a try on NCL but did not like it. I'm totally fine with her being with us 24/7, she loves the shows, fancy meals, etc. Are there board games available? I am considering a whale watch at one of the ports. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! We have a big Disney trip coming in the Fall so this is a chance for an inexpensive getaway before then.

What Capette said ;)

I was a stay at home mom with her until 1st grade. She's not used to or comfortable in that kind of environment. She keeps her room clean, puts her clothes in the hamper, cleans her plates after meals. Says please, thank you and excuse me when appropriate. I wish she did the kids clubs because I think she would have fun but I wouldn't force her to do it. Force her to go to school? Yes To bed? Yes To the Doctor? Yes Not going to force her to go to a kids club :)

Slide, Seaside theater, hottubs, mini-golf, pool, night shows and tours my son (9 yo) always has a blast on a cruise. He already did 6 and can't wait to #7 on july 2, Carnival Glory.

He likes Camp Carnival but only once or twice a cruise, for free play times.

9 cruises since DD was 4, and she's yet to see the inside of a club. This includes a cruise to Canada.

Thanks for giving me your insight everyone! For this cruise it is just the 3 of us so she wouldn't know any other kids ahead of time. She is very shy, but a great kid. I would never force her to spend time with strangers. She was a trooper and gave it a try on NCL but did not like it. I'm totally fine with her being with us 24/7, she loves the shows, fancy meals, etc. Are there board games available? I am considering a whale watch at one of the ports. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! We have a big Disney trip coming in the Fall so this is a chance for an inexpensive getaway before then.

I have seen games available in the library before. But there is plenty to do. I was the same way. I always was at the pool all day, then ate dinner and went to the shows. Had a blast.

My kids dont like the kids clubs. Tried the Disney, gave it a try on NCL but did not like it and this Jan cruised CCL and they didnt want to even try.

I like to think we are fun parents if they prefer to hang with us LOL

They liked to go watch karaoke with us, shows, trivia etc.

They liked getting food whenever they wanted. Also, liked the MDR each night.

Always enjoyed a quiet morning on our balcony :)

You would go on a family vacation and shove your kid in camp carnival even if they didn't want to...because you're the parent???

:rolleyes:

OP, I would not recommend a Canada cruise with kids...it's just not kid 'fun'.

What halos said ^5

My kids always at least try the kids club-- if they don't like it then fine. If they like it that's fine too.

The one thing I dislike is parents who leave little ones in the camp all day and night and spend ZERO time with their kids. My son decided to stop going to camp on the last cruise because of two grouchy brothers that whined the entire time because he wanted to be with their parents. Those poor kids were in club everyday all day. I get it parents want alone time and time to do stuff that the kids can't do but they need to spend some time with the kids too.

My son is shy as well and never knows any kids in CCL before we board. However, on 4 Carnival Cruises he has always loved CC (he is almost 9 now) and begs to go there every night after dinner.

Perhaps you could look over the CC schedule with your DS and have her choose an afternoon or early evening session where they do an activity she is interested in. She may be quite surprised that she enjoys it.

My son has made new cruise "friends" in CC from the time he was 4 until now.

My son is shy as well and never knows any kids in CCL before we board. However, on 4 Carnival Cruises he has always loved CC (he is almost 9 now) and begs to go there every night after dinner.

Perhaps you could look over the CC schedule with your DS and have her choose an afternoon or early evening session where they do an activity she is interested in. She may be quite surprised that she enjoys it.

My son has made new cruise "friends" in CC from the time he was 4 until now.

Thanks, this is great advice. I am a bit hesitant still though as a few posters have said the Canadian cruise is very boring for children. But $1200 for a 5 day vacation for my family is very tempting.

The conventional wisdom on the Family board is insist that she go to the welcome party at the club the night of embarkation (I believe parents stay at this one). It's the time to see who else is there, maybe make some friends. then if she doesn't want to go back, she at least gave it a try. EM

OK, so I am going to get some heat for my opinion on this.

Who's the parent? Sometime we have to make kids do things they don't want to do. Somehow we have arrived to the point where a 7 yr old tells the parents what they will and will not do. That's just not right. Build it up, make it sound fun, but insist that she is going to Camp Carnival or she is staying home. Tough love. Kids adapt better than us adults. Once they are alone with other kids they have a great time, in fact, a much better time than being with adults all the time. I am sure she will object at first, but, I believe she will adapt and have a great time with the other kids. The exception to this is if there aren't many other kids her age to play with, but that should not be a problem with a summer cruise.

Let the flames begin.

Thanks, this is great advice. I am a bit hesitant still though as a few posters have said the Canadian cruise is very boring for children. But $1200 for a 5 day vacation for my family is very tempting.
We've done the Canada cruise 6 times, all with kids. Started when the youngest was 4 (he's now 12). The only time any of the boys expressed any boredom on a Canada cruise was actually in Camp Carnival on our second Canada cruise (our only bad Camp Carnival experience in 15 cruises, BTW). The boys loved the ships (Victory and Glory) and loved the ports.

We have done Canada 5 day 3x with kids. Like any vacation, it is what you make of it. My youngest has cruised since he was 4 and is now 13. He chooses which activities he wants to attend. As for the ports, the problem with Canada is the unpredictable weather. We had an excursion planned for St John this past July but could not go due to fog and rain. We walked around a bit but had been here 2x before. The lat time it rained also and we stayed on the ship. However unlike the Caribbean where you can enjoy pool if you stay on ship, Canada in rain limits that.

Archived