U.K. passengers being ripped off

I recently accidentally priced up a cruise on the American version of the Royal Caribbean website and was very impressed by the price. I got a quote from my UK TA who was unable to match the price as the difference in price was £1200 for exactly the same cabin. Clearly this may change if exchange rates change but how is it that travellers from the U.K. are being asked to pay so much more?

I recently accidentally priced up a cruise on the American version of the Royal Caribbean website and was very impressed by the price. I got a quote from my UK TA who was unable to match the price as the difference in price was £1200 for exactly the same cabin. Clearly this may change if exchange rates change but how is it that travellers from the U.K. are being asked to pay so much more?

Because they can!;p

Of course keep in mind that if you are in the UK and buy from either UK TA or through the UK web site you are purchasing under the UK cruise contract and get the protections of the UK regulations such as PTR 1992.

If you buy from a US TA you are purchasing under US terms and regulations and do not have any of the UK protections.

Most of the time does not make any difference, but be aware and plan your travel insurance needs accordingly.

Currently on the UK website the prices often include the drinks package and even tips for the Southampton cruises. These push the,base price up by several hundred pounds each. If you're not bothered by the DP, wait till this 'offer' ends in July and the prices will hopefully come down

Currently on the UK website the prices often include the drinks package and even tips for the Southampton cruises. These push the,base price up by several hundred pounds each. If you're not bothered by the DP, wait till this 'offer' ends in July and the prices will hopefully come down

Having said that, we've just booked our first with an American travel agent as the cruise we wanted was selling fast. Hoping the experience will go well !!

Not necessarily being ripped off. Exchange rate is unfavourable for us at the moment.

Occasionally UK website has a lower price for same cruise and cabin than US site or agent. You just have to make sure you check both sides of the pond.

RCI will tell you that "they have individual Terms and Conditions for every market due to being an international corporation and they must adhere to the laws and regulations for each area, which is why they cannot have one set of Terms and Conditions which cover all markets".

Having said that, we've just booked our first with an American travel agent as the cruise we wanted was selling fast. Hoping the experience will go well !!

We have booked several cruises with a US agent and the experience went very well.

Was looked after far better than a certain UK agent who claim to be 'second to none' but have proved to be second class on several occasions.

If you book 'cruise only', unless RCI go out of business the 'UK protections' are of no real benefit but US conditions can be a real benefit.

Get yourself a USA TA then, like so many of us have done already.

£1200 is a lot of money. No brainer.

Certain itineraries cheaper in the uk, such as the Dubai route, but usually all others are cheaper in the USA. Worse case, book in USA and if UK gets cheaper, cancel this USA one, get your deposit back and rebook in UK. Win win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m looking at booking two or three end of next year around Aus/NZ and Asia. One is £1400 cheaper in the U.S. but doesn’t include the drinks package. We wouldn’t drink £1400 in 12 nights or even close. Also am I right I’m thimking as diamond I get 3 drinks a night anyway?

I’m looking at booking two or three end of next year around Aus/NZ and Asia. One is £1400 cheaper in the U.S. but doesn’t include the drinks package. We wouldn’t drink £1400 in 12 nights or even close. Also am I right I’m thimking as diamond I get 3 drinks a night anyway?

£1400 cheaper... another no-brainer.

Find a US agent and book under the refundable deposit, and yes, as Diamond you get three free drink vouchers each evening during happy hours as well as unlimited select drinks in the lounge.

It depends how much you drink, however the beverage package for 2 is probably cheaper than £1400

Cruise lines only make part of their money on cruise fares. Most of the profit has to do with the spend afterwards. Maybe they know that UK passengers booking through TAs don't tend to spend as much once on board, and therefore, they charge a higher rate to cover their margin. Cruise lines study every demographic they can and project based on that.

It only makes sense to market based on anticipated returns.

I had a similar issue booking Eurostar London-Paris round trip. Tickets were $20 per person more expensive on the .com site than the .co.uk site. I just booked via the UK site and let my credit card company handle the currency exchange.