What NOT to wear in Italy

marazul

The first one is entertaining and I agree with a lot of her "rules" (the tank tops, for sure) but at my age a 20-something is probably not going to be my reference point. She makes some good points, like not wearing stiletto heels to walk on cobblestone streets, but was anyone here really in doubt about that?

The second one is built on a completely misleading premise, that pickpockets only focus on those who look like tourists. Pickpockets prey on anyone who looks like an easy mark. Now, tourists often fall into that category but it's not because of what they are wearing, it's because of the way they carry themselves and their belongings. Your khaki Dockers will not by themselves make you a target.

The second one is built on a completely misleading premise, that pickpockets only focus on those who look like tourists. Pickpockets prey on anyone who looks like an easy mark. Now, tourists often fall into that category but it's not because of what they are wearing, it's because of the way they carry themselves and their belongings. Your khaki Dockers will not by themselves make you a target.

True, but they can "flag" you as a possibility . . .

I especially love the point about wearing flip flops. I remember reading a blog a few years ago written by an American woman living in Rome -- she was reporting how all her Italian friends could not believe the tourists wearing flip flops in (what they consider) the dirty city streets. In Rome, these flip-flop wearers are called "piedi neri" or black feet -- because that's how your feet end up. Eccchhh!!!

First video is useful.

Second is dead wrong. (Lots of europeans walk around with sneakers and tshirts with some kind of message)

Being "outed" as Americans? It is so easy especially for a professional criminal.

One should not offend local customs (like wearing tank tops or shorts in churches but otherwise be comfortable and smart in clothing choices.