Blu Question--Dine as you please vs set seating time?

likestorelax

First sailing with Celebrity, some serious short comings, not least the food in Blu but also the lack of information available when one is getting off ship and not taking one of their expensive shore excursions, not about private tours, just basic maps and places to see in the town.

Two more cruises booked for next year, but with other companies.

Use Google before trip, use YouTube too.

A Cruise Ship really doesn't have room for all that. We use the Summit, 1950 pax. That's a lot of paper for every stop / destination. Just use your laptop / iphone / ipad on board.

CaptDave

First sailing with Celebrity, some serious short comings, not least the food in Blu but also the lack of information available when one is getting off ship and not taking one of their expensive shore excursions, not about private tours, just basic maps and places to see in the town.

I've been on many Celebrity cruises and have seen info, maps, port talks, overload of info for every port. People on the dock directing you where to go whether on an excursion or not.Just incredulous at that comment.

I've been on many Celebrity cruises and have seen info, maps, port talks, overload of info for every port. People on the dock directing you where to go whether on an excursion or not.Just incredulous at that comment.

Not on Constellation and an op joined my complaint on another thread.

The other cruise companies we have travelled with have always given out a great deal of information.

Example of Celebrity. Went to Guest Relations and asked for a map of Sete, where we were berthed for the day answer "Sorry we don't have any".

Just not good enough for modern luxury.

Not on Constellation and an op joined my complaint on another thread.

The other cruise companies we have travelled with have always given out a great deal of information.

Example of Celebrity. Went to Guest Relations and asked for a map of Sete, where we were berthed for the day answer "Sorry we don't have any".

Just not good enough for modern luxury.

OMG, no map, the horror...

So much nonsense in this thread:

1. Breakfast in Blu is great. Sure, you could argue about the food but I can't imagine too many would think the atmosphere is worse than the buffet. And the smoothies are free.

If it were any good, people would actually go there for breakfast instead of it being 90% empty.

If it were any good, people would actually go there for breakfast instead of it being 90% empty.

This past week it was at least 75-85% full every day for breakfast. We were really surprised, as it was only about 25-50% full on all other trips we've been in Blu.

I don't understand this at all. We've often gone to the concierge and have gotten detailed maps with some wonderful suggestions as well on many different Celebrity ships. Some of the places that have been suggested are among our favorite shore visits and we've gone back to them at subsequent visits to those ports. I can't imagine being told there were no maps or suggestions available.

I don't understand this at all. We've often gone to the concierge and have gotten detailed maps with some wonderful suggestions as well on many different Celebrity ships. Some of the places that have been suggested are among our favorite shore visits and we've gone back to them at subsequent visits to those ports. I can't imagine being told there were no maps or suggestions available.

I can absolutely assure you that there were none and when we asked in Malta for maps of Valletta, they managed to find something on their computer and printed it, but it was only under pressure. We are used to having them on the paper racks at reception on other cruise lines we have been on, where Celebrity managed to put daily cross word puzzles but no port information.

Obviously some people put up with this and the other issues, like for me terrible Blu breakfast, or their ships would be empty. But not my money in their pockets anymore. I want some customer service, decent food and a cruise line that cares about me enjoying a holiday, not just interested in selling expensive shore excursions or go hang if you don't buy them.

This past week it was at least 75-85% full every day for breakfast. We were really surprised, as it was only about 25-50% full on all other trips we've been in Blu.

We never liked the Blu Breakfast. When we sail in AQ the private restaurant for dinner was the main reason. Now if we can swing it, we sail in suites. If not, we take a balcony cabin and dine every evening in a specialty restaurant. The food IMO better the blu, for sure, and luminae

I can absolutely assure you that there were none and when we asked in Malta for maps of Valletta, they managed to find something on their computer and printed it, but it was only under pressure. We are used to having them on the paper racks at reception on other cruise lines we have been on, where Celebrity managed to put daily cross word puzzles but no port information.

Obviously some people put up with this and the other issues, like for me terrible Blu breakfast, or their ships would be empty. But not my money in their pockets anymore. I want some customer service, decent food and a cruise line that cares about me enjoying a holiday, not just interested in selling expensive shore excursions or go hang if you don't buy them.

I was not doubting that your experience was what you claimed it to be. I was only saying that in all of the many cruises we've taken with X that our experience has been entirely different. We've always enjoyed great shore info when we chose to go it alone as well as maps and recommendations from the concierge, wonderful service and great meals. We've had nothing to "put up with." Sorry you didn't. Good luck and happy sails with whomever you choose to sail in the future.

We never liked the Blu Breakfast. When we sail in AQ the private restaurant for dinner was the main reason. Now if we can swing it, we sail in suites. If not, we take a balcony cabin and dine every evening in a specialty restaurant. The food IMO better the blu, for sure, and luminae

If people insisted on sailing with this company this is what I would recommend that they did.

If people insisted on sailing with this company this is what I would recommend that they did.

You haven’t mentioned how you found the seating in Blu? We have only been in Blu for the Elite Afternoon Tea event (several times), but it deters us booking Aqua due to the closeness of the tables. Last time, the gentleman next to me actually offered food off his plate, which I found absurd :o - just to point out, it wasn’t my DH :D. I presume if you are a couple and want to meet others, one may feel comfortable with the closeness. However, I like my personal space and find it quite intimidating.

The way the post is worded makes it appear that the poster has an agenda to influence readers that they should not sail with X. I respect their right to not enjoy their experience, but don't understand why there seems to be so much anger. We have certainly taken vacations on various land and sea destinations that we didn't care to repeat, but always have found that overall we had a good time. Someone was making our bed, serving us food and drink and working to entertain us. Does everything exactly and always suit our tastes? Probably not, but whether or not we have a good time I suspect depends as much on the mind set of the vacationer as it does with the venue. Can we find fault, certainly but we can also look at how wonderful life can be and how fortunate we are to be able to have nice vacations.

The way the post is worded makes it appear that the poster has an agenda to influence readers that they should not sail with X. I respect their right to not enjoy their experience, but don't understand why there seems to be so much anger. We have certainly taken vacations on various land and sea destinations that we didn't care to repeat, but always have found that overall we had a good time. Someone was making our bed, serving us food and drink and working to entertain us. Does everything exactly and always suit our tastes? Probably not, but whether or not we have a good time I suspect depends as much on the mind set of the vacationer as it does with the venue. Can we find fault, certainly but we can also look at how wonderful life can be and how fortunate we are to be able to have nice vacations.[/quot

We always have a good time on our Celebrity vacations. We modify the vacation to suit our needs, like dining often in specialty restaurants etc.

However when you spend a considerable amount of money and you spend your limited vacation time on the cruise, you expect most things to be near perfect!

The way the post is worded makes it appear that the poster has an agenda to influence readers that they should not sail with X. I respect their right to not enjoy their experience, but don't understand why there seems to be so much anger. We have certainly taken vacations on various land and sea destinations that we didn't care to repeat, but always have found that overall we had a good time. Someone was making our bed, serving us food and drink and working to entertain us. Does everything exactly and always suit our tastes? Probably not, but whether or not we have a good time I suspect depends as much on the mind set of the vacationer as it does with the venue. Can we find fault, certainly but we can also look at how wonderful life can be and how fortunate we are to be able to have nice vacations.[/quot

We always have a good time on our Celebrity vacations. We modify the vacation to suit our needs, like dining often in specialty restaurants etc.

However when you spend a considerable amount of money and you spend your limited vacation time on the cruise, you expect most things to be near perfect!

Agree but everything can't be perfect, I turned the comments off when the poster blamed Celebrity for getting rained on.

Agree but everything can't be perfect, I turned the comments off when the poster blamed Celebrity for getting rained on.

villauk said

You haven’t mentioned how you found the seating in Blu? We have only been in Blu for the Elite Afternoon Tea event (several times), but it deters us booking Aqua due to the closeness of the tables. Last time, the gentleman next to me actually offered food off his plate, which I found absurd :o - just to point out, it wasn’t my DH :D. I presume if you are a couple and want to meet others, one may feel comfortable with the closeness. However, I like my personal space and find it quite intimidating.

I blame Celebrity for the fact that their arrangements for jet Set Sail, which included luxury flights and reception areas for not preparing for an English morning of rain, where we had to stand outside a building to check in our luggage In the rain and with no shelter. That was Celebrities fault, we had no choice about checking in our luggage and there was no where to shelter. We had paid £1000 for that flight and arrangements triple the amount if we had simply travelled under our own steam. I then expect Celebrity to make suitable arrangements for people to check in their luggage so they are not condemned to standing in pouring rain to do so. I think you should read posts correctly before adversely commenting on them, but with your tone guess you don't like your favourite line to be honestly criticised.

In M class the tables are not too bad, mostly thought that it was possible to have ones own space though near enough to chat if one wanted.

No that was just one factor, but my food when I am aboard id important.

But do you want me to tell you about the tired stateroom with doors that were falling off, carpets word, tired settee and shower that leaked all over the bathroom floor and had done for some time according to a review much earlier.

Do you want me to underscore the fact that we ate several times off the MDR menu and they were the best meals and what does that say for the extra money we paid for Blu.

Perhaps you want me to tell you about feeling distinctly unwelcome in Persian Gardens, which on M Class are pathetic and anyone who pays needs their head examining.

Or that for a luxury experience of travelling we used Jet Set Sail and we had to stand out in the rain to put our luggage into check in.

Or but I don't want to waste any more of the skin on my finger ends.

It's a shame you did not enjoy your one and only cruise on Celebrity; must be why 49 out of your last 50 comments have generally been complaining on the Celebrity Forum!

It is especially close on the Reflection. Waiters cannot walk between tables and some will lean over you to place a dish to your companion. It is so close that when I asked a question, the person next to be answered.:) There is a little more room on the other S-class ships.

It's a shame you did not enjoy your one and only cruise on Celebrity; must be why 49 out of your last 50 comments have generally been complaining on the Celebrity Forum!

It is a shame considering the price we paid. So Soon it is likely to be 149 out of the last 150 posts that complains. Or are these boards just for the Celebrity sycophants?