Abbreviation week. FCD and ZPM and Welcome Home

Billthekid

On our last cruise, we made a future cruise deposit for a holiday cruise on the Prinsendam in Vista Veranda cabin. The offer included double shipboard credits (FDC) for the booking depending on cabin and length of the cruise. For a Vista and the 14-day cruise, the FDC was $200 per person and was recorded on the printout we received from the Future Cruise Consultant. Made my final payment and received my paid invoice. The SBC was a lump sum with no breakdown, so I asked for details. It was stated the credits consisted of $100 FDC and $100 Welcome Home per person. :) No idea what the Welcome Home credit was so I went to Cruise Critic for the facts and called HAL. Both places stated the Welcome Home is offered within 60 days of returning home. So HAL is now saying the $200 onboard FDC consists $100 FDC and $100 Welcome Home SBC although I was not home at the time. Am I the only one receiving this razzle-dazzle?:(

If you actually book a cruise onboard (not just a future cruise deposit for a to-be-announced cruise) you get double OBC that you normally would get. That same offer is extended to you after you get home (welcome home) for a period of 60 days from leaving the ship. If you book onboard, the "welcome home" OBC is applied just as if you waited to decide after you got home. That is standard HAL policy, no "razzle-dazzle". Just a way to encourage you to book another cruise while you are still in the "cruise mood". As long as you book a refundable fare, you can cancel or switch cruises any time up to final payment date. You are not locked into the cruise you picked while onboard. However, if you change your cruise length by a substantial amount or change cabin type, your OBC will change.

I had a cruise already booked when I was on my last cruise.

I called to upsell my cabin after I got home from the last cruise. and my PCC said I was entitled to the ZPM offer. In my case it was $75.00 for the FCC which I originally used to book the cruise and the ZPM offer was $75.00 PP. for a total of $150.00 PP.

I was surprised because the cruise was booked before. I did purchase two additional FCC while I was on board.

If you actually book a cruise onboard (not just a future cruise deposit for a to-be-announced cruise) you get double OBC that you normally would get. That same offer is extended to you after you get home (welcome home) for a period of 60 days from leaving the ship. If you book onboard, the "welcome home" OBC is applied just as if you waited to decide after you got home. That is standard HAL policy, no "razzle-dazzle". Just a way to encourage you to book another cruise while you are still in the "cruise mood". As long as you book a refundable fare, you can cancel or switch cruises any time up to final payment date. You are not locked into the cruise you picked while onboard. However, if you change your cruise length by a substantial amount or change cabin type, your OBC will change.

So I am still trying to understand. We booked on board and was told we would receive double onboard credits ($200) and that was noted on the printout. Final billing comes and the breakdown of SBC is noted as $100 FDC and $100 Welcome Home. So when the consultant sez double SBC it is not a "double SBC, but a two-part offer although the Welcome Home offer is supposedly received after you return home, is that correct?

On our last cruise, we made a future cruise deposit for a holiday cruise on the Prinsendam in Vista Veranda cabin. The offer included double shipboard credits (FDC) for the booking depending on cabin and length of the cruise. For a Vista and the 14-day cruise, the FDC was $200 per person and was recorded on the printout we received from the Future Cruise Consultant. Made my final payment and received my paid invoice. The SBC was a lump sum with no breakdown, so I asked for details. It was stated the credits consisted of $100 FDC and $100 Welcome Home per person. :) No idea what the Welcome Home credit was so I went to Cruise Critic for the facts and called HAL. Both places stated the Welcome Home is offered within 60 days of returning home. So HAL is now saying the $200 onboard FDC consists $100 FDC and $100 Welcome Home SBC although I was not home at the time. Am I the only one receiving this razzle-dazzle?:(

With all due respect to everyone else I believe they are not understanding your point. I believe that you have indicated that you bought a FCC on board which included double OBC. Now HAL is doing a razzle-dazzle ( your words) and have not provided you with true double OBC as HAL is using part of the welcome home promo code as part of the double OBC. I think this is razzle-dazzle. For people who don’t know what the welcome home email is (we always get it after we have submitted the completed survey is a code HAL provides which offers people $100. 00 OBC per person, encouraging people to rebook a cruise within 60 days of their last cruise Anyhow OP I believe you are getting shortchanged by $100.00 OBC per person, my suggestion is to speak with a supervisor. Let me know if you call and see if they rectify the situatiion. The statement: Why should you spend the money on a FCC, as you can get the $100,00/welcome home bonus per person for no cost at all. Let me know.

Mary

A few years ago, when the double the OBC if one booked onboard first came out, I was told by the FCC (whom I trust) that the double the OBC WAS the same as the ZPM/Welcome Home offer to double the OBC. There were probably too many of us waiting to book when we got home to get the double OBC.

That is correct AQ. I asked the FCD on board (one whom was knowledgeable) and they eplained the double OBC to me the same way. The "double OBC" is the same whether you book on board or within 60 days of returning home from your cruise.

A few years ago, when the double the OBC if one booked onboard first came out, I was told by the FCC (whom I trust) that the double the OBC WAS the same as the ZPM/Welcome Home offer to double the OBC. There were probably too many of us waiting to book when we got home to get the double OBC.

Hi AQ,

If this is the case what is the advantage of buying a FCD?

Mary

Hi AQ,

Mary

Not AQ, but .......

FCD = Future Cruise Deposit (just to make sure I understand your question).

If you don't buy an FCD and book within the 60 days, you will be missing the OBC the FCD gives so you would only receive a single OBC as opposed to the two. (And, of course, your deposit would be higher to book the cruise).

Not AQ, but .......

FCD = Future Cruise Deposit (just to make sure I understand your question).

If you don't buy an FCD and book within the 60 days, you will be missing the OBC the FCD gives so you would only receive a single OBC as opposed to the two. (And, of course, your deposit would be higher to book the cruise).

In summary is it, the advantage of a FCD is that you don’t have to book your next cruise within the 60 days after your last cruise, the FCD can access the Welcome Home bonus for up to the time you rebook i.e. could be one year later?

AQ - I was told the same thing. HAL had to double the onboard credits to match the FCD and Welcome Back offer. My source is very involved with the onboard cruise consultants, so I do believe this is correct (plus it makes sense).

We always purchase a FCD, as this way we can take our time and book from the comfort of home (within 60 days).

Although, I have wondered if booking onboard is now better, to lock in the double amount of OBC. What happens if you cancel that onboard booking and rebook something else late (like after the 60 day period)? Do you still keep the double OBC?

Hi AQ,

Mary

The Future Cruise Deposit allows you to purchase a cruise with only a low deposit and receive an onboard spending bonus. This is good for 4 years.

If you purchase the cruise within 60 days of being on a cruise, you also get the welcome home bonus, which is the same amount as the FCD bonus.

Holland found that many people were buying FCDs and using them immediately after leaving the cruise, using the services of the Future Cruise Consultant without them getting credit for the sale, so they added the Welcome Home bonus to cruises booked on board.

One other note, if your buy the $100 FCD which is good for a cruise up to 14 days, and wish to book a longer cruise, you will be able to "top off" the FCD so that your deposit is the same as if you had purchased the larger FCD on board.

Hi AQ,

Mary

Your question has been addressed by others but I would also add that I don't particularly want to waste valuable vacation time meeting with an FCC. I did it on this current cruise, and I did book a future cruise, but also purchased 2 FCDs each. I prefer to deal with my PCC when I'm at home instead of most FCCs onboard. I've only dealt with one, maybe two now, who have their act together. The one on my current cruise seems to be pretty good even though she did mess up my FCDs (and later corrected her mistake).

Various email correspondence between my self, my agent and HAL produced this response:

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line regarding your clients (title and name) upcoming ms Prinsendam voyage. The advisement of additional on board credit on the cruise consultant's sheet is tiered from ocean view up to suite. Had the guests booked a category C (ocean-view), they would have received an additional 100 per person from the combination of the FCD on board credit and the Welcome Home on board credit. Those would have provided $50 each per person. Because they booked a suite, each promotion provided them with $100 of on board credit. The credits currently attached to the booking are correct as advised by a previous supervisor. We are sorry for any frustration this misunderstanding has caused

Now I need an explanation of the explanation, aka, razzle-dazzle.

Various email correspondence between my self, my agent and HAL produced this response:

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line regarding your clients (title and name) upcoming ms Prinsendam voyage. The advisement of additional on board credit on the cruise consultant's sheet is tiered from ocean view up to suite. Had the guests booked a category C (ocean-view), they would have received an additional 100 per person from the combination of the FCD on board credit and the Welcome Home on board credit. Those would have provided $50 each per person. Because they booked a suite, each promotion provided them with $100 of on board credit. The credits currently attached to the booking are correct as advised by a previous supervisor. We are sorry for any frustration this misunderstanding has caused

Now I need an explanation of the explanation, aka, razzle-dazzle.

As I see it, what the HAL rep was saying was that the "base" OBC for a 14 day cruise is $50 (PP) but since you are in a "suite", this gets increased to $100. Then, the Welcome Home portion doubles this, to $200 (PP).

This is exactly what we get when we purchase a FCD during our cruise and then book after we get home (within 60 days) using promotion ZPM - Welcome Home.

As they say in Football Games; "upon further review"

I found the pamphlet about double your shipboard credits which is in very bold large letters. At the bottom in very small print and using my magnifying device it says; "If the booking made on board is cancelled.....you will retain the Future Cruise deposit to use...........but will lose the additional Onboard Spending Credit (promo ZPM). To me, that means you retain the basic SBC which and deposit which varies by cabin and the length of the cruise. Which doesn't make sense to me because that sez no matter what happens the deposit stays in place and an SBC will be provided. It continues to say; The Onboard Spending Credit with Promo Code ZPM applies to 1st and 2nd guest only.....

So, in conclusion, Holland and Onboard cruise consultant, needs to state those facts in their pamphlet that it is not a doubling of SBC, but a combination of two offers; an SBC (shipboard credit) and ZPM (Welcome Home).

In my case breakdown of the shipboard credits for my schedule cruise is correct. Future Cruise Credit and Welcome Home for a total of $400 for the both of us or the total of the Hotel Service Charges for our 14-day cruise.:loudcry:

Can't even get a drink out of it.

As they say in Football Games; "upon further review"

I found the pamphlet about double your shipboard credits which is in very bold large letters. At the bottom in very small print and using my magnifying device it says; "If the booking made on board is cancelled.....you will retain the Future Cruise deposit to use...........but will lose the additional Onboard Spending Credit (promo ZPM). To me, that means you retain the basic SBC which and deposit which varies by cabin and the length of the cruise. Which doesn't make sense to me because that sez no matter what happens the deposit stays in place and an SBC will be provided. It continues to say; The Onboard Spending Credit with Promo Code ZPM applies to 1st and 2nd guest only.....

So, in conclusion, Holland and Onboard cruise consultant, needs to state those facts in their pamphlet that it is not a doubling of SBC, but a combination of two offers; an SBC (shipboard credit) and ZPM (Welcome Home).

In my case breakdown of the shipboard credits for my schedule cruise is correct. Future Cruise Credit and Welcome Home for a total of $400 for the both of us or the total of the Hotel Service Charges for our 14-day cruise.:loudcry:

Can't even get a drink out of it.

Thanks - that answers my question. So, it seems that it (booking onboard) is just like buying the FCD and booking within 60 days. Plus, I have been successful in getting the Welcome Back offer applied to my upcoming cruise that is within 60 days after another, different cruise. So, I will stay with the FCD approach.

• 7 months later...