Maho beach

I've been to Maho beach several times. It's awesome. I've no idea how far it is, BUT, there is only one road in. It gets very busy at certain times of the day. Don't assume that because it was a quick trip there it will be a quick trip back.

My advice...go to Maho beach and watch the planes land. Then go to Mullett Bay beach. Its maybe 5 minutes from Maho, not crowded and beautiful. Nice little beach bar there.

One more thing.....there is a website flightaware dot com, that will show you all the airplanes scheduled to land there in the following week. It lists the airline and the aircraft type. The airport code is SXM.

I've been reading up on SXM since we will be going there next week.

I have read the beach is smaller since the hurricane and they don't have as many planes landing now.

Bill

This beach always comes and goes and was never a beach to go to for a beach day IMO. It was always about the planes and yes, significantly less large planes these days and that will improve as the amount of resort/hotel rooms open does.

What is it with you people? Does it make you feel better to tell someone to use Google versus just saying nothing at all?

Actually distance means squat in St Maarten. Location and time of day and construction/accidents is what really matters. So not only was he a little flippant he did not give good advice either.;)

Aside from a taxi, I imagine there is still the public minibus option, correct? I've taken a minibus from Philipsburg to Marigot before -- $2 USD one-way. Bus stops are marked with a "Bus Halte" sign. There are multiple routes, e.g. one will go to Maho and there will be a sign card in the front window indicating the route.

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/government/TEATT/Economic-Inspection-Department/Pages/Public-Bus-Tariff.aspx

I've been to Sint Maarten twice but have yet to visit Maho or Mullet Bay Beach. Thinking of doing that this time around. I'm interested to see some pictures of how things currently are going with respect to recovery/rebuild efforts.

Aside from a taxi, I imagine there is still the public minibus option, correct? I've taken a minibus from Philipsburg to Marigot before -- $2 USD one-way. Bus stops are marked with a "Bus Halte" sign. There are multiple routes, e.g. one will go to Maho and there will be a sign card in the front window indicating the route.

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/government/TEATT/Economic-Inspection-Department/Pages/Public-Bus-Tariff.aspx

I've been to Sint Maarten twice but have yet to visit Maho or Mullet Bay Beach. Thinking of doing that this time around. I'm interested to see some pictures of how things currently are going with respect to recovery/rebuild efforts.

If your on Facebook, find the Sunset Bar and Grill, they updated their page regularly. Things look like they did when I was last there in 2017.

After seeing the airplane landing videos of Maho Beach online, this has become a must see for my family and I next February. We are thinking of doing a tour which features a 45-60 min stop at Maho and 2 hours at another beach. Would an hour be enough at Maho?

After seeing the airplane landing videos of Maho Beach online, this has become a must see for my family and I next February. We are thinking of doing a tour which features a 45-60 min stop at Maho and 2 hours at another beach. Would an hour be enough at Maho?

In my opinion, no, but it totally depends on what time you are there. If your goal is to see the big planes, then you should plan around that. They come in to land in the early afternoon and take off a bit later, so you MIGHT see a landing and a take-off in an hour, but I would not count on it. There have been A LOT of reviews on here that said they were disappointed with their stop at Maho because it was too short and they missed the planes.

I would skip the tour, do Mullet Bay in the AM - it is a fantastic beach and a 10-minute walk from Maho - then walk over to Maho in the afternoon to see the planes. That way you can stay longer if you want. The big planes landings are super cool, but seeing one take off - especially if you are right behind it - is a once in a lifetime experience. It would be a shame to miss it because your tour made you leave too early.

Most of the tour operators know the flight schedules and try to arrive at a good time. From Pre-Irma memory most of the larger flights arrive noon to 2pm local time. If by chance you are using Bernard's tour, I know they do this.

If this is something that is a must see for you and your family, then I would say an hour is not enough. Skip the tour and go on your own. If you want some beach time hit one of the nicer nearby beaches, then make your way over to Maho (cab or foot) around noon and plan on spending a few hours there before heading back. You want to see both a landing and a take off with the big planes, and once you see one you will probably want to see it again. It's definitely one of my favorite things to do down there.

Was just there two days ago, plenty of sand on the beach and several large jets landed and took off while we were there. we were there around 11:30 AM and stayed until about 2:30 PM. The drive back took a bit longer as there was at least one accident we had to go around as well as another back up due to unknown reasons.

Most of the tour operators know the flight schedules and try to arrive at a good time. From Pre-Irma memory most of the larger flights arrive noon to 2pm local time. If by chance you are using Bernard's tour, I know they do this.

Yes, using Bernard's Tour was my original plan.

• 2 weeks later...

So we're thinking about doing Maho then a beach to hang for a while. We would love a beach that has restaurants and possibly even watersports such wave-runners and parasailing. We are there 12:15-8:00 pm on the Anthem so not a normal port schedule for sure. I don't think a tour would be the best as we want freedom to do whatever, whenever, for however long we want to. IF traffic is as bad as it sounds then would the taxi fare eat us alive or do they do flat rates? Also, does Mullet Bay have the things we seek?

So we're thinking about doing Maho then a beach to hang for a while. We would love a beach that has restaurants and possibly even watersports such wave-runners and parasailing. We are there 12:15-8:00 pm on the Anthem so not a normal port schedule for sure. I don't think a tour would be the best as we want freedom to do whatever, whenever, for however long we want to. IF traffic is as bad as it sounds then would the taxi fare eat us alive or do they do flat rates? Also, does Mullet Bay have the things we seek?

Good plan, especially since you will get there in the afternoon just as the planes are landing and taking off. Mullet Bay is a great beach to hang out at, but it does not have the restaurants and water sports. Most of the traffic talked about here is between Philipsburg and the pier, which is about a 15 minute walk. There is rush hour traffic in the evening going back into Philipsburg, but it is not horrendous. I would take a taxi or bus back to Philipsburg, and end your day with some shopping or an adult beverage and then stroll back to the pier. Or you could take the water taxi if walking is not appealing.