RealID ACT Jan 22 deadline

hftmrock

the only problem with extensions is that you cant fly to the places without an extension

if you are in kentucky and fly to NYC to go on a cruise.... you will have a problem flying back to Kentucky. NYC doesnt have an extension. thats why I posted this. NYC and Louisiana dont have extensions so you cant fly back to your state without a compliant ID

Negative. It is based on the regulations attached to that ID based on where it was issued, not where you are using it. When you fly home from NY they will know your ID is still valid for travel because KY has an extension.

Negative. It is based on the regulations attached to that ID based on where it was issued, not where you are using it. When you fly home from NY they will know your ID is still valid for travel because KY has an extension.

if you read my next post after the one you quoted, you would have seen that I said I think I was wrong.

I just cannot imagine our federal government telling citizens, even in one state, that their normal ID is not good enough to allow them to fly. There will be bluster and browbeating of state officials, but extensions will be granted IMHO.

about 41 days before its in effect. if they are going to make an extension, they better do it fast

I just cannot imagine our federal government telling citizens, even in one state, that their normal ID is not good enough to allow them to fly. There will be bluster and browbeating of state officials, but extensions will be granted IMHO.

This is the only way the Federal government could impose a set standard across all 50 states regarding the security of and procedures for issuing licenses and IDs. The only ramification for not having a compliant ID is one cannot access property under Federal control. I know a good number of people who couldn't care less because they have absolutely no need to enter a Federal building or to fly. Hopefully they will never need to visit a Social Security office in person:).

What I don't understand is that Michigan was compliant from the start. After doing some research on this, it says that Michigan applied for and was granted an extension. Extension to what, if we were already compliant?

according to homeland security, they were NOT granted an extension

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/michigan

and regarding why this is happening if they have IDs that are compliant. I believe its probably how many people have the new enhanced or REAL ID cards. if your state is complaint but 50% of the people of the state do not have the cards yet , they could ask for an extension

according to homeland security, they were NOT granted an extension

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/michigan

and regarding why this is happening if they have IDs that are compliant. I believe its probably how many people have the new enhanced or REAL ID cards. if your state is complaint but 50% of the people of the state do not have the cards yet , they could ask for an extension

I'm not sure how long it will last but people can still be issued non-compliant licenses/IDs if they don't want to make a visit to DMV or if they don't want to (or can't) provide the required documents. At least that's how they handle it here in Vermont and we're one of the compliant states. Which is a long way of saying that I don't think compliance is based on the number of people who have been issued compliant licenses. Here's what Vermont DMV says about non-compliant licenses:

Driving Privilege Card

Driver Privilege Card – A driver privilege card is a Vermont license or permit that is NOT Real ID compliant.

The Privilege Card is available to anyone that is a Vermont Resident and a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or Permanent Resident Alien or, an Undocumented Immigrant in the United States. A driver privilege card will be issued when:

1. A citizen of a foreign country is unable to establish legal presence in the United States but furnishes reliable proof of Vermont residence and of name, date of birth, place of birth and satisfies all other requirements for obtaining a license or permit.
  2. A person is able to establish lawful presence in the United States but otherwise fails to comply with the requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005.