RealID ACT Jan 22 deadline

hftmrock

if you are taking a carnival cruise from or to NY or Louisiana, you will need a passport or an enhanced compliant drivers license to fly even if you are traveling from state to state.

for instance, If I want to fly to Florida from NY for a cruise in February, I will need an enhanced NY drivers license (they just started to give them out in October) or a passport

NY and Louisiana and Michigan are 3 states that are under review and have not gotten an extension. I want to make sure that if you are taking a cruise, you have the right paperwork.

these states may get an extension like other states have but I would not wait until the last minute to find out.

if you are taking a carnival cruise from or to NY or Louisiana, you will need a passport or an enhanced compliant drivers license to fly even if you are traveling from state to state.

for instance, If I want to fly to Florida from NY for a cruise in February, I will need an enhanced NY drivers license (they just started to give them out in October) or a passport

NY and Louisiana and Michigan are 3 states that are under review and have not gotten an extension. I want to make sure that if you are taking a cruise, you have the right paperwork.

these states may get an extension like other states have but I would not wait until the last minute to find out.

Actually NY has been issuing Enhanced Drivers Licenses for quite some time, as has Michigan, so people from those states may obtain an EDL which is a compliant ID under the REAL ID act. (I want to note that a license that is REAL ID compliant is not the same as an EDL and cannot be used by itself as a border crossing document). Here's the DHS website regarding REAL ID and it might be helpful to check it from time to time https://www.dhs.gov/federal-enforcement.

Actually NY has been issuing Enhanced Drivers Licenses for quite some time, as has Michigan, so people from those states may obtain an EDL which is a compliant ID under the REAL ID act. (I want to note that a license that is REAL ID compliant is not the same as an EDL and cannot be used by itself as a border crossing document). Here's the DHS website regarding REAL ID and it might be helpful to check it from time to time https://www.dhs.gov/federal-enforcement.

you're correct. I meant a REAL ID compliant ID.

Oklahoma is also a non-compliant state and we can't get an extension.

We can't fly and can't enter Federal buildings w/o a passport.

This is from the link I provided above:

"Oklahoma has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from Oklahoma at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018."

There are going to be a lot of unhappy frustrated women who are going to find out that they screwed themselves with any last name changes when they have to provide a paper trail from birth to the current day before a driver's license will be provided or renewed.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy frustrated women who are going to find out that they screwed themselves with any last name changes when they have to provide a paper trail from birth to the current day before a driver's license will be provided or renewed.

What else will they need that’s different from the requirements now of a Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree?

This varies from state to state. I live in Louisiana and it states on the DMV website that you have until October 2020 to get an enhanced DL. So check your state website for more information.

The DHS website says January 22, 2018 since Louisiana's extension request is still under review. I would think that what the DHS says trumps what the Louisiana OMV says.

Why would Louisiana need to request an extension if their licenses are compliant? I can't find an answer to that.

My Louisiana state ID isn't eligible for renewal until August 2018. I don't want to pay $21 twice in one year.

This varies from state to state. I live in Louisiana and it states on the DMV website that you have until October 2020 to get an enhanced DL. So check your state website for more information.

Folks without a passport really need to step back and look at this CC discussion. What a mess. Just get a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Folks without a passport really need to step back and look at this CC discussion. What a mess. Just get a passport.

Heck, why doesn't Uncle Sam just pass a law mandating passports for everyone from the time they are born?:rolleyes: If anyone is in a questionable state and wants to be assured of flying domestically a passport card is the most logical document to obtain for that purpose.

Heck, why doesn't Uncle Sam just pass a law mandating passports for everyone from the time they are born?:rolleyes: If anyone is in a questionable state and wants to be assured of flying domestically a passport card is the most logical document to obtain for that purpose.

Actually, what you are saying about a US passport (or some other tamper proof federal ID) issued at birth is not a terrible idea (in some respects excepting for sure the photo).

Just look at Social Security Cards at one end of the spectrum and Medicare cards at the other. Both have e tremendous value (e.g., respectively supporting quest for employment or medical care). Yet they are easily counterfeited.

Yes we've now got the EDL/Real ID requirements imposed on the US states. But, like SOLAS requirements being "enforced" by a cruise ship's flagged country, each US state ends up with responsibility for the ID compliance. What's wrong with that picture?

No wonder government is such a bureaucracy.

As it now stands, a US citizen may have on their person (or in a sock drawer):

birth certificate

social security card

driver's license

passport

passport card

"trusted traveler" card (I.e., global entry)

medicare card

And since we're also talking about the maritime environment, let's not forget those folks with a bunch of other government IDs among which might be:

Transportation Workers Identity Card

Merchant Marine Document

With current chip technology and eventual perfection of facial recognition or retinal scanning, the tech groundwork for an easily updatable single government ID exists.

But, until that becomes a reality, one major question looms: Where exactly am I supposed to keep that most important of all cards: COSTCO card!

Might as well make the passport and DL all in one.

Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea. Have a designation somewhere on the card saying you can drive. Not everyone that has a Passport can (or should) drive. Wonder if it will ever be an option to have it on your phone like Apple Pay, Insurance cards, etc?

What else will they need that’s different from the requirements now of a Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree?

There was plenty of discussion about this where I live (Florida) when the program was implemented here.

For women with multiple marriages and are up in years, the marriage certificates, divorce papers and legal document for a change back to birth name from previous marriages may have been misplaced. Add that these events may have occurred in different states and it can be a process to obtain the copies.

We also needed to provide a social security number. For older women who have never worked and never had a social security number, that is another hurdle, especially for women who may have been born when birth registration was a looser process and even those documents are missing and there is no one who was an adult still alive from the time of their birth to give affidavits.

It took some women several months to obtain all the necessary links to proving their current name was legal. I can't tell you how often I heard, when they found out that I never changed my name after marriage, "I wish I hadn't done the changes, but it was expected of me."