RealID ACT Jan 22 deadline

hftmrock

The argument about universal passports comes down to the argument about universal secure ID. It CAN be done, but staunch conservatives oppose it on the basis of "invasion of privacy," and staunch liberals oppose it because it would, in effect, stop illegal immigration. But surely it has to happen eventually.

For women with multiple marriages and are up in years, the marriage certificates, divorce papers and legal document for a change back to birth name from previous marriages may have been misplaced. Add that these events may have occurred in different states and it can be a process to obtain the copies.

We also needed to provide a social security number. For older women who have never worked and never had a social security number, that is another hurdle, especially for women who may have been born when birth registration was a looser process and even those documents are missing and there is no one who was an adult still alive from the time of their birth to give affidavits.

How have these women and their husbands filed tax returns? If you don't work you need a SSN to file jointly (which gives you a bigger deduction). I am surprised that legal documents weren't kept. I'm 55 and was always taught to read everything before I sign and to keep ALL legal documents forever. I changed my last name and have never had an issue with that- except that people can't pronounce it!

How have these women and their husbands filed tax returns? If you don't work you need a SSN to file jointly (which gives you a bigger deduction). I am surprised that legal documents weren't kept. I'm 55 and was always taught to read everything before I sign and to keep ALL legal documents forever. I changed my last name and have never had an issue with that- except that people can't pronounce it!

The requirement for a SSN has changed over the years.

I am talking about elderly women that never needed a SSN because there was a time that everyone did not need a SSN. A woman that stayed at home would be on her husbands tax return under his SSN. Any SS benefits were that she had as a surviving spouse was under his SSN.

So for an elderly widow that is now living with a child. has no income other than the SS, and changed her legal name (with the loss of documents as I mention before) are finding out that she was a were none person documentation wise.

Of course, as I live in Florida, I am talking about very old (I am 67 and I am a spring chicken compared to them) and it migfht be better that they are not on the roads.

The daughter with the mother that I was standing next to was extremely upset that to learn the massive job she was facing to establish her mother's identity.

This is from the link I provided above:

"Oklahoma has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from Oklahoma at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018."

That's good to know for several of my family and friends. I had read that we weren't being given another extension.

My sister and I have had passports for over 15 years, so we haven't been to concerned about it. But lately we've been talking about a family cruise and that would be a problem for several of them.

Actually, what you are saying about a US passport (or some other tamper proof federal ID) issued at birth is not a terrible idea (in some respects excepting for sure the photo).

Just look at Social Security Cards at one end of the spectrum and Medicare cards at the other. Both have e tremendous value (e.g., respectively supporting quest for employment or medical care). Yet they are easily counterfeited.

Yes we've now got the EDL/Real ID requirements imposed on the US states. But, like SOLAS requirements being "enforced" by a cruise ship's flagged country, each US state ends up with responsibility for the ID compliance. What's wrong with that picture?

No wonder government is such a bureaucracy.

As it now stands, a US citizen may have on their person (or in a sock drawer):

birth certificate

social security card

driver's license

passport

passport card

"trusted traveler" card (I.e., global entry)

medicare card

And since we're also talking about the maritime environment, let's not forget those folks with a bunch of other government IDs among which might be:

Transportation Workers Identity Card

Merchant Marine Document

With current chip technology and eventual perfection of facial recognition or retinal scanning, the tech groundwork for an easily updatable single government ID exists.

But, until that becomes a reality, one major question looms: Where exactly am I supposed to keep that most important of all cards: COSTCO card!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know about you but my COSTCO card is always in my wallet (as is my EDL):) (my passports on the other hand are in my safety deposit box, along with DW's naturalization certificate). Something tells me that the universal requirement for everyone to have a passport would be met with a great deal of resistance by folks on both sides of the aisle, as it should be. After all, not everyone needs one;).

It really pays to get a passport...........things are going to keep getting more strict......

This is true.

Though not the same as the current passport discussion, I am always reminded of some of the best advice I got from a grad school mentor many years ago.

I was headed to California for my first "real" job and he told me to check out the State's civil service HR office and apply for every license/certificate for which my education/experience would qualify.

Even though I thought (at that time) that I'd never use any of them, I followed his advice and, among other interesting docs gathering dust in my attic, there are a handful of "permanent" community college administrative credentials. Quite a few years ago, the issuance of permanent credentials stopped and I became one of a decreasing number of individuals who were grandfathered into some interesting job categories. Still never applied for one. But, always comforting to know I had a backup plan not available to everyone.

It really pays to get a passport...........things are going to keep getting more strict......

I doubt it, but if and when things become more strict then is the time to act since it take so long to implement anything (look at how long it took to fully implement the WHTI regulations).

Kentucky has an extension until October 2018:

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/kentucky

the only problem with extensions is that you cant fly to the places without an extension

if you are in kentucky and fly to NYC to go on a cruise.... you will have a problem flying back to Kentucky. NYC doesnt have an extension. thats why I posted this. NYC and Louisiana dont have extensions so you cant fly back to your state without a compliant ID

the only problem with extensions is that you cant fly to the places without an extension

if you are in kentucky and fly to NYC to go on a cruise.... you will have a problem flying back to Kentucky. NYC doesnt have an extension. thats why I posted this. NYC and Louisiana dont have extensions so you cant fly back to your state without a compliant ID

So is it the airport that allows the extension, so the licenses is still not good outside of your home state? It doesn't really matter for me, I have a passport but I think my parents are affected and my mom might want to fly this spring/summer to come and visit when I have this baby. They have no plans to ever travel outside of the country possibly a cruise eventually but would hopefully still be able to use the birth certificate for that, unless they change that too by the time they get in one. They are mostly retired so no extra income and it seems so ridiculous to have to get a passport for a domestic flight...

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

If your state is in question or until this mess gets straightened out and if you don’t “need” a Passport, I would recommend a Passport Card. Surely one can afford $30 (and $25 fee for a total of $55 for first timers). It would be worth not having to worry about flying and makes it easier for cruising. Just show that instead of DL and BC. Plus it’s good for 10 years.

So is it the airport that allows the extension, so the licenses is still not good outside of your home state?

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

its not the airport that allows the extension. I believe its homeland security but the airports need to follow the regulations and if the state you are in (living or visiting ) does not have an extension then you must have an ID that meets the REAL ID requirements

so if your state has an extension, you can fly out of that state with no problem with a regular license but if your flying into a state that does NOT have the extension (Like NYC or Louisiana) , you will not be able to fly out without an enhanced approved license or passport

It doesn't matter what state you are flying into or out of. What matters is the state that issued the license.

Question 6

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Starting January 22, 2018, passengers who have driver’s licenses issued by a state that is not yet compliant with REAL ID and that has not received an extension will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel.

If the state you are flying into or out of matters, someone please point me to an official source that says that.

I will see what I can find but if NYC does not get an extension, its not going to allow ANY drivers license that is not compliant. I highly doubt they will pick and choose the states that have extensions and ones that dont. anyone flying out of NY will need a compliant form of ID

I will see what I can find but if NYC does not get an extension, its not going to allow ANY drivers license that is not compliant. I highly doubt they will pick and choose the states that have extensions and ones that dont. anyone flying out of NY will need a compliant form of ID

I think you mean NYS not NYC (though there are NYers (both up and down state) who'd be fine with making them separate states. Of course the real "dream-come-true" would be Brooklyn getting back to being the fourth largest CITY in the US and then (next step) its own country called COKU (Center Of the Known Universe).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I think you mean NYS not NYC (though there are NYers (both up and down state) who'd be fine with making them separate states. Of course the real "dream-come-true" would be Brooklyn getting back to being the fourth largest CITY in the US and then (next step) its own country called COKU (Center Of the Known Universe).

since I live in Brooklyn... I couldnt agree more!

its not the airport that allows the extension. I believe its homeland security but the airports need to follow the regulations and if the state you are in (living or visiting ) does not have an extension then you must have an ID that meets the REAL ID requirements

so if your state has an extension, you can fly out of that state with no problem with a regular license but if your flying into a state that does NOT have the extension (Like NYC or Louisiana) , you will not be able to fly out without an enhanced approved license or passport

Well -not exactly. Though it is on a case by case basis, TSA may allow yo to fly domestically with no ID at all. Happened to my daughter who misplaced/lost her wallet at an SFO eatery prior to joining the security line for departure.

TSA, at their discretion, can employ enhanced screening/interviews to allow you to fly out and return.

Bottom line was that DD flew back and forth to/from Hawaii and, fortunately the SFPD airport division did find and eventually return her wallet with all IDs, CCs and money intact.

At least folks living in NY have another option since they can get an Enhanced Drivers License, which is REALID compliant in and of itself.