Diamond Plus Upgrade?

It would be interesting to hear from people who book a guaranteed inside to see what they got as these are the cheapest cabins and the headline catching 'cruise from' pricing.
Sep 2014 booked Z inside GTY 5 weeks from sailing on Northern Trans Atlantic. I'm D+. Within a few days assigned small inside. All small insides assigned after that but larger insides were available. From Roll Call learned that more recent Zs were now being assigned larger insides (not a complaint, I knew what I was getting into). Maybe 3 days out I got moved to an E1 balcony, presumably by C&A upgrade. There were 60+ empty cabins on the ship. On my other maybe dozen Z GTYs I got an Ocean View (not balcony) twice, and insides for the remainder. IMO the most unusual: We had an oceanview on Celebrity for a Westbound TA. After Final Payment, prices for the last Med cruise plummeted, so we took an inside GTY on that cruise (we were already flying to Europe 2 weeks early to do "something"). That inside GTY was assigned to the oceanview that we had for the subsequent cruise - I still wonder if that was just luck or if they actually diid that intentionally.

Satisfied given the prices I got.

Like everyone else is saying upgrades really don't exist and when they do the way they are handed out makes no sense.

<snip>

So always book the cabin you want.

It makes no sense to us but it probably makes sense to RCI. I believe that many times they upgrade you when they need your cabin which is why first timers can get upgrades. Perhaps because a 3rd bunk is in your cabin or perhaps because a large group needs several cabins together/adjoining etc.

I agree, always book the cabin you want.

(We've never received an upgrade either)

Our last year cruise on Serenade was showing sold out for weeks (as it is again

this year).

Was surprised last year when I went in to print luggage tags, that my number was

different. Was free upgrade from great location center hump D1 to waaay

in the back JS (not direct aft). Not a great upgrade as far as location, and no

double points, but enjoyed the extra cabin space anyway.

One Pinnacle on board had a D1 aft cabin, and was skipped over for the

upgrade...he was not a happy cruiser. So C&A level did not apply for our cruise...

location obviously did.

It makes no sense to us but it probably makes sense to RCI. I believe that many times they upgrade you when they need your cabin which is why first timers can get upgrades. Perhaps because a 3rd bunk is in your cabin or perhaps because a large group needs several cabins together/adjoining etc.

We found out later that several D1 hump cabins on our deck

had also been upgraded. Checked with guest services on the phone

to see if I could get our original cabin back....was told the cabins were

requested and booked from their UK office as a group.

If I book the cabin location I want I click on no upgrades on my C&A page.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

That's what I did when I purposely booked an aft cabin on Radiance Alaska. B2B same

cabin in great #9256 corner aft. Best location for viewing both sides of the inland

water way....but not a great cabin on bouncy seas down to the ABC's. :eek:

Edited by island lady

• 11 months later...

We were on the Freedom during the Irma hurricane.................we stayed on for the shortened 5 night cruise - the ship was half full because of all of the cancellations...................so we inquired in Guest Services if an complimentary upgrade was available.................the answer was NO but for $800 extra we could upgrade from our D1. So much for the "complimentary" upgrades for C&A status - had nothing to do with cabin availability................C&A meant nothing but "Revenue" now calls the shots.

That's what I did when I purposely booked an aft cabin on Radiance Alaska. B2B same

cabin in great #9256 corner aft. Best location for viewing both sides of the inland

water way....but not a great cabin on bouncy seas down to the ABC's. :eek:

The afts are great.....................except when the seas are angry - lots of extra motion and creaking.............and soot on the balcony.