Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

I disagree entirely - I am not a particularly experienced cruise traveller and the first time I made a cruise booking I certainly "read up" on everything the booking entailed. There might be a few people that go into any kind of booking with blinkers on but the vast majority of people parting with their hard-earned cash for a cruise - maybe a few thousand pounds - will not have the surprises that you are suggesting. The issue of gratuities is not kept under wraps.

I did the same I read what was expected although I had always known that gratuities were part of the culture of cruising. What I hadn't realised until I started reading cruise forums was that other people had such a problem with paying them. I have never thought the paying of gratuities has been kept a secret by any cruise company.

I did the same I read what was expected although I had always known that gratuities were part of the culture of cruising. What I hadn't realised until I started reading cruise forums was that other people had such a problem with paying them. I have never thought the paying of gratuities has been kept a secret by any cruise company.

RC actively promote their excellent service and encourage you to reward the crew appropriately on their promotional videos.

Did they actually tip as they said?.

The problem with handing out sealed envelopes is someone can say they are giving a lot but they might only put a few pounds in the envelope.

They confided in us on the last night that they had put US$20 in an envelope for the cabin attendant which they felt was appropriate for a couple travelling on a 7 night cruise. As I mentioned before, tipping in their country was usually just leaving the loose change.

Totally agree with DGS post, although I do tip my hairdresser, mainly because her charges are so low! She works from home. I would probably round up the amount for a taxi. Restaurants, well that's another matter. Service charges in those can be a lot especially in London.

We stopped for lunch in Rome, one pizza between us as we were not that hungry. The pizza wa 9 Euro, the service was 2 Euros each (6 euro) and they charged 4Euro for tap water!!

What will happen is the cruises will be more expensive then they will still give out envelopes to put tips in.

They won't be more expensive for you and I and many others because we pay the auto gratuities anyway. In fact they may be cheaper. I don't have a problem with making envelopes freely available as if I had excellent service I would use them.

They won't be more expensive for you and I and many others because we pay the auto gratuities anyway. In fact they may be cheaper. I don't have a problem with making envelopes freely available as if I had excellent service I would use them.

Great points and very true.

They confided in us on the last night that they had put US$20 in an envelope for the cabin attendant which they felt was appropriate for a couple travelling on a 7 night cruise. As I mentioned before, tipping in their country was usually just leaving the loose change.

So you mean they treated the tip as a real tip, and didn't pay the staff wages the cruise company had avoided.

Perhaps if P&O disclosed how it deliberately underpaid its staff and expected its customers to voluntarily make up the shortfall these issues wouldn't occur.

No, they got a cheap cruise, because crew wages are supplemented by auto tips. By opting out, they were benefitting from those of us who understand that auto tips, like them or hate them, are part of the pricing structure of the cruise industry

Perhaps you could start venting your spleen at Carnival, rather than P&O

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

No, they got a cheap cruise, because crew wages are supplemented by auto tips. By opting out, they were benefitting from those of us who understand that auto tips, like them or hate them, are part of the pricing structure of the cruise industry

Perhaps you could start venting your spleen at Carnival, rather than P&O

I agree,people who stop their autotips are short changing other passengers as well as the crew.

They are but it is optional so P&O are encouraging that to happen. The blame lies squarely with them.

True,either they make it a mandatory service charge or non removable autogratuity except in exceptional circumstances or increase the cruise fare and go back to cash tips at totally passengers discretion.

I would be happy if they took any of those options.

Increase the fare with gratuities included and get rid of the on board credit which I personally don't find is an incentive to book a cruise. There are other perks/discounts that could be offered that would be just as attractive.

Well, if the price of every cruise was increased by say £60 per person per week, that should cover the loss of the auto tips, and the extra revenue could be passed onto the appropriate crew members.

As an aside, I know it us not quite as simplistic as this, but the principle is valid.

At the very least it would stop these interminable threads!

What will happen is the cruises will be more expensive then they will still give out envelopes to put tips in.

Of course they will, the crew will get a divvy of the gratuities included with passenger fare, as they do on P&O Australia ships and Australian based Princess ships then expect more as they do now.

Aside from that, when on your next cruise my friends, have a look in at the empty chairs and tables in the MDR at dinner. Perhaps those missing are the ones who took off their auto tips and don't want to face their table waiters who are expecting cash on the last night ? My theory anyway. OK, I know some pax have packed away their good gear, but dress rules on many cruise lines are relaxed on last night for that reason.:halo:

Well, if the price of every cruise was increased by say £60 per person per week, that should cover the loss of the auto tips, and the extra revenue could be passed onto the appropriate crew members.

As an aside, I know it us not quite as simplistic as this, but the principle is valid.

Yes, but you can get your teeth into a good tipping thread, plenty of them to peruse on the 'American boards, i.e. Princess, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity etc.:eek:

And how many fewer tickets will P&O sell when they increase the headline price of some cruises by 10%.

And how many fewer tickets will P&O sell when they increase the headline price of some cruises by 10%.
Not sure about your maths - apart from short 3 or 4 day cruises, you can't buy many cruises for less than £700 or £800. An additional £60 is not 10%, and is only likely to deter the most cash strapped cruisers.

Of course they will, the crew will get a divvy of the gratuities included with passenger fare, as they do on P&O Australia ships and Australian based Princess ships then expect more as they do now.

Aside from that, when on your next cruise my friends, have a look in at the empty chairs and tables in the MDR at dinner. Perhaps those missing are the ones who took off their auto tips and don't want to face their table waiters who are expecting cash on the last night ? My theory anyway. OK, I know some pax have packed away their good gear, but dress rules on many cruise lines are relaxed on last night for that reason.:halo:

It used to happen often before autogratuities but if the tips were included in the fare any envelopes would be extra and who knows who puts £5 in and someone else puts £50 in but it would be extra only because tips were included in the fare.

Yes, but you can get your teeth into a good tipping thread, plenty of them to peruse on the 'American boards, i.e. Princess, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity etc.:eek:

Your right because everyone has their own interpretation and the cruise lines are not transparent with your tip money.