Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

That is what happens when you travel on P&O Australia ships and Princess ships based in Australia

And the reason for that is Australians don't have a culture of tipping, so nobody would pay the non-disclosed optional service charge.

The same thing had happened with NCL in the UK. They mostly attract customers who have not cruised so are not invested in the 'tradition' of paying hidden optional charges, so they now include the service charge in the fare.

So it would seem the only way to persuade a cruise company to include the service charge in the fare is for a significant proportion of their customers to stop paying it (and not replace it with the equivalent in cash tips).

Obviously the cruise companies rely on social embarrassment for the majority of customers not doing that, so service charges will continue for a long time.

And the reason for that is Australians don't have a culture of tipping, so nobody would pay the non-disclosed optional service charge.

The same thing had happened with NCL in the UK. They mostly attract customers who have not cruised so are not invested in the 'tradition' of paying hidden optional charges, so they now include the service charge in the fare.

So it would seem the only way to persuade a cruise company to include the service charge in the fare is for a significant proportion of their customers to stop paying it (and not replace it with the equivalent in cash tips).

Obviously the cruise companies rely on social embarrassment for the majority of customers not doing that, so service charges will continue for a long time.

I was looking at some P&O deals yesterday with up to £400 OBC offered for 14 night cruises.

This would more than pay the tips which nullifies the tipping argument.

A lot of other cruise lengths offered with varying OBC amounts but in most cases this again would more than cover autogratuities.

I was looking at some P&O deals yesterday with up to £400 OBC offered for 14 night cruises.

This would more than pay the tips which nullifies the tipping argument.

A lot of other cruise lengths offered with varying OBC amounts but in most cases this again would more than cover autogratuities.

But OBC isn’t a gift from the cruise company, as with all other inducements it’s paid for by the customer whether hidden or not. It is never intended or flagged up as a potential gratuity payment and many would prefer to spend it in other ways.

David

But OBC isn’t a gift from the cruise company, as with all other inducements it’s paid for by the customer whether hidden or not. It is never intended or flagged up as a potential gratuity payment and many would prefer to spend it in other ways.

David

No it isn't but it would cover the tips to keep your onboard bill down which is the bottom line at the end of the cruise

Well done - I was beginning to think that I was the only one who did this, after reading so many posts on this and other threads about removing the 'iniquitous ' auto tips the moment you set foot on the ship.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

No you're not alone this is what we do too. I haven't looked at this thread before because I'm so fed up of reading threads about tipping and wondering just how many of are left who don't remove the Auto-tips.

No you're not alone this is what we do too. I haven't looked at this thread before because I'm so fed up of reading threads about tipping and wondering just how many of are left who don't remove the Auto-tips.
I think the auto tip 'removers' are for some reason more vociferous, and seem to take a perverse delight in telling everyone about their actions. Personally, I think us auto tippers are the silent majority!

I think the auto tip 'removers' are for some reason more vociferous, and seem to take a perverse delight in telling everyone about their actions. Personally, I think us auto tippers are the silent majority!

I agree totally.

RC tips are double P&Os plus 18% gratuity on drinks but i still prepay tips and give up to $200 extra cash tips.

The service is always worth it and i cannot fathom why people would whinge about P&Os minimal gratuity amount.

There is a 5th option....incorporate the tips into the cruise fare...that is what is happening on a cruise we have booked for next year....already in the fare

How do we know that P&O UK have not already done this but no told anybody?

Regards John

Yes we don't make a fuss we do it because it is doing right for the deserving crew.

Wow! well done for being so thoughtful. Clearly you can afford another £12 a day added to your holiday. However, many people cannot and object to having to supplement the wages for the crew. If I choose to holiday in a Hotel in London for example I would not expect to pay an additional £12 a day to the hotel staff so why should Cruises be any different? Gratuities are for good service not to be used as a supplement for the crews wages and then used as a form of emotional blackmail against those people who do not wish to participate in this P&O company rip off.

Wow! well done for being so thoughtful. Clearly you can afford another £12 a day added to your holiday. However, many people cannot and object to having to supplement the wages for the crew. If I choose to holiday in a Hotel in London for example I would not expect to pay an additional £12 a day to the hotel staff so why should Cruises be any different? Gratuities are for good service not to be used as a supplement for the crews wages and then used as a form of emotional blackmail against those people who do not wish to participate in this P&O company rip off.

We cruise mainly RC now and the tips are double that plus 18% tip added on to every vastly overpriced drink purchased ie £10 per glass of prosecco.

P&O tipping is very reasonable.

This mak

So don't cruise with P&O.

Apart from that the auto gratuities are optional and you are within your rights to choose not to pay them. That is the point that people seem to ignore. You can argue relentlessly about the pros and cons of tipping but it is the individuals right to choose what they do. Incidentally auto tips, as far as I know, started off at £3.50 pppd and is now £6 pppd in the space of a few years. That indicates to me that more and more people are opting out. Finally, our next cruise has OBC of £140 and the auto gratuities are £180 so the argument that OBC covers "tips" isn't always the case.

Apart from that the auto gratuities are optional and you are within your rights to choose not to pay them. That is the point that people seem to ignore. You can argue relentlessly about the pros and cons of tipping but it is the individuals right to choose what they do. Incidentally auto tips, as far as I know, started off at £3.50 pppd and is now £6 pppd in the space of a few years. That indicates to me that more and more people are opting out. Finally, our next cruise has OBC of £140 and the auto gratuities are £180 so the argument that OBC covers "tips" isn't always the case.

I said it often or nearly often covers autogratuities.

Even so if you have only £40 to pay for however long you are onboard its not to bad plus your loyalty discount kicks in when the OBC is used up.

Yes, so those of us who do pay them are therefore subsidising those who don't.

Obviously everybody would prefer the tips to be included, but P&O won't do that because they want the basic fare as low as possible to tempt people on board.

Yes, so those of us who do pay them are therefore subsidising those who don't.

Obviously everybody would prefer the tips to be included, but P&O won't do that because they want the basic fare as low as possible to tempt people on board.

I pay the auto gratuities and yes, those who do pay are making up the shortfall for those that don't and that is the reason that the amount has soared from £3.50 to £6. The only outcome is that more people will stop paying and the amount will continue to rise. As the auto gratuities are optional then the fault is with P&O and not those that choose not to pay.

I would like to find a hotel in London with three meals a day and eighteen hours a day of entertainment for the price of a P&O cruise.

Part of the reasons cruise are such good value is because we are encouraged to pay the crew salaries through tips. Other reasons include the economies of scale of modern ships, the tax arrangements of the owners and the use of crew from cheaper labour countries.

I personally would prefer tips to be included in the cruise fare. As it is at the moment each passenger has the right to pay as much or as little (for tips) as they wish. It is their decision

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RC gratuitys are a lot more plus 18% tip automatically added to every drink.

P&O have faults but tipping levels are reasonable.

So what if other companies have higher undisclosed optional service charges.

Any amount added to a customer's bill without prior notification is distasteful, and that is compounded by the fact the customer knows that it will not be P&O that will suffer if it is not paid, but the staff (which P&O deliberately underpay).

You are trying to defend an unpleasant practice that ought to have disappeared years ago, and has in most civilised countries.

So what if other companies have higher undisclosed optional service charges.

Any amount added to a customer's bill without prior notification is distasteful, and that is compounded by the fact the customer knows that it will not be P&O that will suffer if it is not paid, but the staff (which P&O deliberately underpay).

You are trying to defend an unpleasant practice that ought to have disappeared years ago, and has in most civilised countries.

You're quite right if the tips aren't paid it is the staff who suffer, which is why I would never remove the tips. So why do people do it? That is what is distasteful. If they feel so strongly about P&O not paying the staff more perhaps they shouldn't cruise. I don't feel guilty about cruising because the staff who work on P&O are probably far better off than the majority of their fellow countrymen and I am helping to keep them in employment. If I removed the tips that would as you say be unfair to them. As Wowzz says we are just going around in circles. The only fair way is for P&O to include them in the price of the cruise.

RC gratuitys are a lot more plus 18% tip automatically added to every drink.

P&O have faults but tipping levels are reasonable.

I agree £6pp is not a lot of money and certainly a lot less than we'll be paying on our next cruise with Cunard who again unlike P&O add a % to every drink.