Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

Can I risk being controversial?

There is clearly a lot of disagreement and confusion over auto gratuities all of which has been well discussed.

There appears to be several different actions.

Auto Gratuities are left on.

Auto Gratuities are left on and extra tips are given to staff directly.

Auto Gratuities are removed and tips are given to staff directly.

Auto Gratuities are removed and no tips are given.

Does anyone think there is any merit in carrying out a poll to see what CC members do?

I don't know what we could do with the results but I think it may make interesting reading if we could encourage people to vote, anonymously of course.

There is a 5th option....incorporate the tips into the cruise fare...that is what is happening on a cruise we have booked for next year....already in the fare

There is a 5th option....incorporate the tips into the cruise fare...that is what is happening on a cruise we have booked for next year....already in the fare

I know what you mean but we don't have that option. Personally that's what I would prefer.

Possibly the Poll should be what would you prefer to do and then include that 5th option but we wouldn't know who did what then. What do you think to the idea though?

Mmmmm......not sure....so many people have strong views on all of the 4 options that whatever the consensus turned out to be it wouldn't be workable.

It may be a better to have a poll on whether people would prefer to have the tips incorporated in the fare or not

There is clearly a lot of disagreement and confusion over auto gratuities all of which has been well discussed.

Does anyone think there is any merit in carrying out a poll to see what CC members do?

I don't know what we could do with the results but I think it may make interesting reading if we could encourage people to vote, anonymously of course.

Great idea, dgs1956, I'd be very interested to the see the results of that poll.

It might be an idea to have 2 polls.

- Poll 1. your poll

- Poll 2. "should gratuities be incorporated into the cruise price from the offset."

Although I think the results of poll 2 will be somewhere in the regions of 95% toward yes).

Mmmmm......not sure....so many people have strong views on all of the 4 options that whatever the consensus turned out to be it wouldn't be workable.

It may be a better to have a poll on whether people would prefer to have the tips incorporated in the fare or not

great minds think alike :D

Then you could serve yourself at all the buffets including MDR and stand at the bar trying to get your own drink.

Well yes, why not? No hardship to serve yourself sometimes on a 99 day cruise or have room service. Just suggesting what might help someone faced with hundreds of dollars in gratuities after paying thousands of dollars for the cruise but as usual a keyboard warrior has to jump in ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And what exactly does this accomplish, apart from saving you some money? It's not as if the steward can nip ashore for an hour instead of cleaning your cabin.

I have to say, I hope the original question regarding tips on a 99 day cruise is a wind up. I can almost understand when someone has scrimped for a cheap 7 day cruise, and has an issue with the auto tips. But as a percentage of the cost of a 99 day cruise, the auto tips are insignificant. If you can't afford the tips and are prepared to stiff the crew, despite being able to pay for a 99 day cruise, shame on you.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Well he/she would be servicing the other cabins so no they would not go ashore [emoji848]. A 99 day cruise might be someone's trip of a lifetime that they have scrimped and saved for over the years but had not realised how much extra the tips would add? Strange that you can differentiate 'stiffing' staff over 7 days and finding it somewhat understandable, but not over 99 days - perhaps thats how you deal with your tips [emoji853]. Personally I never take tips off and on a long cruise of over 4 weeks I tip extra to steward and waiters but that is MY choice and mine alone. Tipping is NOT compulsory and they can be left on, or increased or decreased or taken off in full. Its nothing to do with anyone else.

Well he/she would be servicing the other cabins so no they would not go ashore [emoji848]. A 99 day cruise might be someone's trip of a lifetime that they have scrimped and saved for over the years but had not realised how much extra the tips would add? Strange that you can differentiate 'stiffing' staff over 7 days and finding it somewhat understandable, but not over 99 days - perhaps thats how you deal with your tips [emoji853]. Personally I never take tips off and on a long cruise of over 4 weeks I tip extra to steward and waiters but that is MY choice and mine alone. Tipping is NOT compulsory and they can be left on, or increased or decreased or taken off in full. Its nothing to do with anyone else.

Just to be clear, I leave auto tips on, and then tip additionally if the service is over and above the norm.

Thank you for answering my question from an earlier post (74). I was being curious and also a comment had been made about P&O "stiffing" the staff. The answer that I received from them I misunderstood...thought it was telling me that they had zero contract hours and worked on commission basis IE tips/gratuities..

So they receive US2000 a month....wow....would think in their low wage country of birth that would be quite a considerable sum...not quite sure that constitutes being "stiffed".

I worked in service industry back in the day...I worked 44 hours a week....spread over 6 days....and received £35....converted into today's value. Tips...maybe....but whether I was tipped or not they recieved "service with a smile"...in my book part of the job

I answered on post #81 that i was only saying that all cruise companies take advantage of crews insecurities and thats why they have a reliance on tips to top up their pay.

I also said the zero hours and commission only jobs were UK employers like Sports Direct etc taking advantage of workers job worries and nothing to do with P&O.

Hope this clarifies my comments.

Graham.

Auto gratuitys plus extra cash tips always from me.

Graham.

Well yes, why not? No hardship to serve yourself sometimes on a 99 day cruise or have room service. Just suggesting what might help someone faced with hundreds of dollars in gratuities after paying thousands of dollars for the cruise but as usual a keyboard warrior has to jump in ☹️

Don't take things to seriously that comment was meant to be humerous lol.

I think the point is you don't miss £70 on a 7 night cruise but it can be eye watering for 99 nights.

P&O offer massive amounts of onboard credit which could be used to pay most of the tips or alternatively offer no OBC but offer tips included.

5 posts in 12 minutes me thinks somebody is trying to boost number of posts and likes to see name in lights its rather tedious when it could have been all put in one post.

Or more like i read and answer every post individually.

Wow I'm going to get a big bonus for posting,really?.

5 posts in 12 minutes me thinks somebody is trying to boost number of posts and likes to see name in lights its rather tedious when it could have been all put in one post.

If they are that tedious - don't read them, just scroll on by [emoji848]

If they are that tedious - don't read them, just scroll on by [emoji848]

My sentiments exactly,i don't know if he was referring to you or me.

There have been very few posts on P&O lately so i would have thought he would have been happy to read something.

One of my posts on here went awol but it was a bit off topic, in that it was not P&O but was about Gratuities. I just assumed someone had objected to it and it was deleted.

I am for gratuities or service charge to be included in the fare as some lines do. ( I appreciate this would probably mean a rise in the basic cruise price) Tips could then be given for exceptional or additional service given by an individual.

My gripe is when a line offers included gratuities BUT only to US/CAN bookings. I dont fully understand the reason for that. It is the same ship the same cruise (probably more expensive in the UK) so what do they gain by not including the gratuities. It does not even seem an incentive just for NEW US/CAN bookings. Even those with a booking ( or even their 3rd rebooking on the same cruise) can get it.

Yes, I have complained to the line and they say they welcome the feedback.:rolleyes:

So It would seem that on my 30 day cruise only Brits

and Aussies and other minority countries will be actually paying gratuities so it will be us that is being stiffed.

I believe you can also go to reception and have Auto-Gratuities changed to either a higher amount daily or a lower amount daily. Assuming this is possible you could then add tips to increase overall tip or even to restore reduced auto-tips to the original level some or all days.

Regards John

I believe you can also go to reception and have Auto-Gratuities changed to either a higher amount daily or a lower amount daily. Assuming this is possible you could then add tips to increase overall tip or even to restore reduced auto-tips to the original level some or all days.

Regards John

Thanks John.

Personally i always give extra in cash and now i tell them i am paying the auto gratuitys as well so they know the extra cash is for them.

Graham

Thanks John.

Personally i always give extra in cash and now i tell them i am paying the auto gratuitys as well so they know the extra cash is for them.

Graham

Well done - I was beginning to think that I was the only one who did this, after reading so many posts on this and other threads about removing the 'iniquitous ' auto tips the moment you set foot on the ship.

Well done - I was beginning to think that I was the only one who did this, after reading so many posts on this and other threads about removing the 'iniquitous ' auto tips the moment you set foot on the ship.

Thanks.

When we go on our other favourite line RC we always prepay our tips as that used to be a pre requisite of MTD which is their freedom dining equivalent and tell them that we have prepaid tips when i give them cash tips.

That is what happens when you travel on P&O Australia ships and Princess ships based in Australia, i.e. Golden Princes, Sea Princess, Sun Princess.:halo: No auto tips, buried in fare somewhere. But of course some pax give their stewards a bit of cash, which they can keep. No 15% gratuity on drinks either on the Australian Princess ships.