Booking dining reservations online

elruth

Cruising Nov. 6 on Jade. Platinum Plus. I tried to make dining reservations online for the 4 free dining we have ( will book the free dining that comes with Platinum Plus later) but find it lists the costs. When will it list the reservations as free? No offices are open now and wondered if anyone knows the answer.

Also I have filled out forms etc. and for some reason it will not record my passport expiration date. It won't put it in the system so it says my forms are only 90 % fulfilled. I printed my edocs and luggage tags with no problem.

Did you go under the tab of explore and plan? When you click on a restaurant, like for Cagney's - on the right side under your name you would be able to click on it to reserve and for how many party. Then the subtotal would show zero and to be added to your cart. When it added to the cart, you would check out. If the subtotal show a price, then you need to make sure if you really chosen the dining package or if NCL added this to your package. Call NCL after the Labor Day holiday.

For the passport - did you do it the right way? If one computer does not work, try another computer. Might be the cookie problem or if you did it incorrectly. I think the month goes in the middle part?

It always shows the costs of the restaurant, after you add it to your cart and go to checkout it should show $0 for the reservation. SDP is used on board to cover the costs. You could book for every night of the week, they have no way of knowing which few nights you will choose to use your SDP.

Edited by ray98

I don't have the dining package. I have the deal that included 4 speciality restaurants. Offered several months ago when I made the reservations.

That is the dining package.

Read the guide linked in my signature for details of booking these (and your platinum meals).

Don't leave booking your platinum meals to later (unless you mean until you get onboard), especially if you will want to book Moderno.

It always shows the costs of the restaurant, after you add it to your cart and go to checkout it should show $0 for the reservation. SDP is used on board to cover the costs. You could book for every night of the week, they have no way of knowing which few nights you will choose to use your SDP.

That isn't quite correct.

The charge will be zero for one of two reasons. Either the restaurant is a la carte, so there is no upfront charge or, if it is something like Moderno of Teppenyaki, the system will assume that you will be using your SDP as long as you have credits left.

So, in the OPs case they won't get charged anything for the first 4 reservations they make. After that they would get charged the cover charge for Moderno and Teppenyaki (or the full upcharge for some others).

That's why you should always book the ones with a cover charge first.

I was unable to prebook restaurant on line for our 2 platinum dinners. I called and was told could only book if I had special dining package. I knew this had not been the case prior but they would not budge. Skip ahead to our cruise on Escape last week and was able to get times and days I wanted when I went immediately to reserve when I got on ship. So they must hold aside some for those who book when they get on ship

I was unable to prebook restaurant on line for our 2 platinum dinners. I called and was told could only book if I had special dining package. I knew this had not been the case prior but they would not budge. Skip ahead to our cruise on Escape last week and was able to get times and days I wanted when I went immediately to reserve when I got on ship. So they must hold aside some for those who book when they get on ship

You certainly can prebook them. I have done so on every cruise since the main restaurants went a la carte two years ago.

You just do it online. The only issue if you don't have a dining package is that it will ask for prepayment in Moderno. If you make that prepayment then they will refund you as OBC onboard. Personally, in that situation I would wait anyway, but the Cagneys/Le Bistro option is no problem to book online.

They do indeed keep some reservations back for booking onboard, but if you can do them beforehand then it's one less thing to do after you embark.

• 1 month later...
You certainly can prebook them.
I could not do this today for a November sailing. I posted in your booking article thread before I saw this thread, which seems like a more logical place to put it. Here's what I posted:

I was unable to book a Platinum level dinner without incurring a fee for Moderno. My credit card would be charged when I made the reservation. There was no fee for Cagney's, so I made that reservation. I called Norwegian and asked about Moderno and was told that I could only book reservations for the Dining Plan pre-embarkation, not Platinum. I was told that I should make reservations from my stateroom once on board. In particular, the Norwegian representative emphasized that I could not make an advance reservation for Cagney's and show up with a voucher. I would be charged for the meal. I should reserve the Cagney's meal using the system in my room and be sure to cancel my original Cagney reservation. I could not find a way to do this online, so will cancel when I get on board.

I was concerned that the only remaining times available to book were 9:30, but he told me that they limit advance reservations to 35% of capacity, and the remainder of open slots are bookable only on board.

I could not do this today for a November sailing. I posted in your booking article thread before I saw this thread, which seems like a more logical place to put it. Here's what I posted:

I was unable to book a Platinum level dinner without incurring a fee for Moderno. My credit card would be charged when I made the reservation. There was no fee for Cagney's, so I made that reservation. I called Norwegian and asked about Moderno and was told that I could only book reservations for the Dining Plan pre-embarkation, not Platinum. I was told that I should make reservations from my stateroom once on board. In particular, the Norwegian representative emphasized that I could not make an advance reservation for Cagney's and show up with a voucher. I would be charged for the meal. I should reserve the Cagney's meal using the system in my room and be sure to cancel my original Cagney reservation. I could not find a way to do this online, so will cancel when I get on board.

I was concerned that the only remaining times available to book were 9:30, but he told me that they limit advance reservations to 35% of capacity, and the remainder of open slots are bookable only on board.

I responded on the other thread, but will do so here as well.

You certainly can book the platinum meals. You just don’t book them specifically as platinum meals. That’s why I said that you will get charged for Moderno.

I honestly wouldn’t take any notice of what the NCL rep said. They are notorious for giving out incorrect info. Until we get reliable reports from onboard to the contrary I will continue to rely on my experience over the past few years above what the NCL phone staff say.

There have fairly regularly been reports on here that NCL phone staff have told people that you have to wait until onboard to book the platinum meal. They have always been wrong in the past, and they are almost certainly wrong now. The only reason for waiting until onboard is to avoid paying upfront for Moderno if you don’t have the dining package.

So how does this work....We have 2 cabins, one with me and hubby and one with my 2 brothers. We all have the free dining bonus of 4 restaurants. We all want to eat together. So when I go to reserve online and choose 4 people how will they know that my 2 brothers have the free dining perk as well as us and not charge my account for them?

So how does this work....We have 2 cabins, one with me and hubby and one with my 2 brothers. We all have the free dining bonus of 4 restaurants. We all want to eat together. So when I go to reserve online and choose 4 people how will they know that my 2 brothers have the free dining perk as well as us and not charge my account for them?

When you book online the system has no idea who else you are booking for.

If you have the dining package then it just assumes that everyone you are booking for does.