Gratuities sailing from the UK

amajaa

As a matter of interest, I always leave our gratuities on but can you take them off if you want to and pay personally. Just seems a sign of a good cruise line if you can.

yes you can opt out, just go to reception and tell them.. we did it no problem

yes you can opt out, just go to reception and tell them.. we did it no problem

What was your reason for removing gratuities, please?

I've always found MSC staff well worthy of them.

The only time I made a reduction on gratuities was on a Cunard sailing. I breakfast in my cabin. The day the steward arrived without a cup on my breakfast tray, after numerous previous minor erors, was the last straw. I went to the Purser and demanded a $1.50 discount from the daily charge.

Edited by canny_cruiser

I remove gratuities on the first day and tip staff during the cruise who have given me great service.

Have no interest in tipping every staff member onboard.

When you go to a nice restaurant do you tip the waitress/waiter or do you give a tip to all the staff in that restaurant.....

Exactly...

I remove gratuities on the first day and tip staff during the cruise who have given me great service.

Have no interest in tipping every staff member onboard.

When you go to a nice restaurant do you tip the waitress/waiter or do you give a tip to all the staff in that restaurant.....

Exactly...

When you go to a restaurant most of them have a pot for the tips which are then shared at the end of the night....

Tipping should be discretionary not compulsory

When an American goes into a different culture and insists on imposing their own cultural norms, that makes them an ugly American.

You know full well how mass market cruise lines operate and how the crews are compensated. The fact that you can cruise puts you near the top of the global heap. The fact that crew are working on a cruise ship puts them near the bottom of the global heap. So by all means use YOUR cultural norms to justify and rationalize screwing over with the crew's compensation. Because social justice. Or something.

Me? I'd rather just be a decent person and do the right thing, rather than be an ugly American. And while you can't be the noun, you most certainly can be the adjective.

I for one always leave them on and i also give extra on the first day to the crew members i know i will be seeing regular and i have always enjoyed great service and lets be honest it’s a little more than the cost of one alcoholic drink a day but hey that’s just me. [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What was your reason for removing gratuities, please?

I've always found MSC staff well worthy of them.

The only time I made a reduction on gratuities was on a Cunard sailing. I breakfast in my cabin. The day the steward arrived without a cup on my breakfast tray, after numerous previous minor erors, was the last straw. I went to the Purser and demanded a $1.50 discount from the daily charge.

i only believe in paying tips to people i deal with personally.... the cabin steward got $5 and was very grateful