Best beaches in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:45 AM.
New York City
62 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I've been to the east coast of Mexico but this will be my first Mexican Riviera cruise. I'd like to know what are the best beaches to go to, a beach with a bar and toilets! Thanks to everyone for their advice!
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
In Cabo, it's Medano Beach. You can walk, take a water taxi or a land taxi to get there. Lined with bars/restaurants. If you are the party type, Mango Deck is the place for you. If you want something more laid back, Billygans, Milky Way which also has a dive shop, The Sand Bar or Omega Sports Bar. Tabasco's used to be nice but they have been doing funny things with the final bill, so they are being avoided.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
BC - British Columbia
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Yes I agree, we loved Medano Beach too... we booked the ME Resort day pass which is on Medano beach so we had the resort amenities, the beach and watersports . Higliy recommended !! https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions...reak-day-pass/
San Diego, CA
5,795 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Have to agree with CWcruisers... Medano Beach in Cabo. We'll be hanging out at The Sand Bar during our visit in September.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,610 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Although Puerto Vallarta has some nice beaches, some of them close to the cruise terminal and/or in old town/Playa los Muertos. However the best beach is in Nuevo Vallarta.
However that will be a busride of about 40 minutes or cab/car trip away.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Annapolis, USA
583 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
I enjoyed Playa Animes in Puerto Vallarta. Not too sure how a cruise passenger could there, because I visited when I was at a resort in PV, but the boat that took us on the excursion left from the cruise ship port. We booked it through Vallarta Adventures. It's a little more rustic with higher waves, but it was still a great place to visit!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival: 65 nights over 10 cruises- Pride (x2), Glory (x3), Freedom, Liberty, Splendor (x2), Conquest
Royal Caribbean: 12 nights over 2 cruises- Enchantment, Empress

MSC Cruises: 7 nights over 1 cruise- Divina

Land Trips: Germany & Netherlands 2011 / Australia 2013 / China 2014 / Italy & Greece 2015 / El Petigre, DR Volunteer 2016 /
Iceland 2016 / La Romana 2016 / Cozumel 2017 / Puerto Vallarta 2017 / Italy, Switzerland & France 2017 / Saint-Martin 2017
NJ USA
5,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
For Cabo, what about the beaches on the Pacific side?
From a few aereal shots I've seen, there are some hotels on those beaches. And they look like easy walking distance from the tender dock.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

22 - Cunard == 1996-present ==
23* - HAL == 1991-present ==
4 - Home Lines == 1987,1988 ==
2 - NCL == 1979,1980 ==
2 - Royal Viking Line == 1989,1990 ==
1 - Celebrity == 2004 ==
1 - Carnival == 2002 ==

email: vicunderscoretheunderscoreparrotatyahoodotcom
*Friend of Hyacinth*
California
398 Posts
Joined May 2012
Ine, are those beaches within walking distance of cruise port? Is there a place to change your bathing suit or do you use a towel and change on the beach? Would not be the first time for the towel routine.
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Vic The Parrot
For Cabo, what about the beaches on the Pacific side?
From a few aereal shots I've seen, there are some hotels on those beaches. And they look like easy walking distance from the tender dock.
Those beaches are not swimmable. In fact, the waves on that side are quite dangerous and there are signs everywhere advising people not to walk on the beach. At least once a year, someone gets pulled out to sea by a rouge wave. This year, fortunately, they were saved. Never turn your back on the ocean should you wish to visit there. It is beautiful if you keep a safe distance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
6,610 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by jhsocal
Ine, are those beaches within walking distance of cruise port? Is there a place to change your bathing suit or do you use a towel and change on the beach? Would not be the first time for the towel routine.
Restaurants on the beach on Playa Los Muertos (old town Vallarta) donot have showers, but they have bathrooms. You need to bring your own towel (get it on your ship). Just order food and drinks.
Hotel Tropicana in old town has a daypass for Pesos 200,- of which Pesos 100,- is for food.
You need a cab or local bus to get there.

Walking distance from the cruise terminal is Hotel Krystal where many cruise passengers were welcome to have a drink/meal and use their pool. However since contruction is going on there I am not sure they still do.
Not too far from the terminal (on the other side of the Marina, so you need cab or local bus for a short ride) ) Hotel Mariott has a deal for (price might be higher now) for US$ 35,- you can have a daypass. Not all but most of that amount if for food and drinks.
Nuevo Vallarta is about 30 minutes north by cab (longer by public bus) has a nice beachclub ETC. Just pay for food and drinks. They are on one of the nicest beaches in the area.

Playa los Animas is mentioned but since you need bus and boat to get there, which takes time, it is a bit too complicated if you need to be back in time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
170 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Ine
Restaurants on the beach on Playa Los Muertos (old town Vallarta) donot have showers, but they have bathrooms. You need to bring your own towel (get it on your ship). Just order food and drinks.
Hotel Tropicana in old town has a daypass for Pesos 200,- of which Pesos 100,- is for food.
You need a cab or local bus to get there.

Walking distance from the cruise terminal is Hotel Krystal where many cruise passengers were welcome to have a drink/meal and use their pool. However since contruction is going on there I am not sure they still do.
Not too far from the terminal (on the other side of the Marina, so you need cab or local bus for a short ride) ) Hotel Mariott has a deal for (price might be higher now) for US$ 35,- you can have a daypass. Not all but most of that amount if for food and drinks.
Nuevo Vallarta is about 30 minutes north by cab (longer by public bus) has a nice beachclub ETC. Just pay for food and drinks. They are on one of the nicest beaches in the area.

Playa los Animas is mentioned but since you need bus and boat to get there, which takes time, it is a bit too complicated if you need to be back in time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't Nuevo Vallarta a town ? If so, where would one get off the bus to go to this Beach Club you mentioned ? Also, what is the name of the Beach Club ?
6,610 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by rick160158
Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't Nuevo Vallarta a town ? If so, where would one get off the bus to go to this Beach Club you mentioned ? Also, what is the name of the Beach Club ?
Nuevo Vallarta is not only a different town, even a different state (Nayarit) The name of the beachclub is ETC. You can get one of the rather frequent buses at the busstop at the Walmar,t more or less opposite the cruise terminal. There is a guy with a clipboard that can point you to the correct bus.
Get off at Hotel Marival or Dreams, as you can see at this map. On the way back go to the same busstop.

Be aware ETC opens at 11.a.m. as mentioned the busride might take about 30/40 minutes depending stops and traffic. The servers in ETC all speak english. User google photos and you will see lots of photos.

Most of the drivers will accept US$, (as does ETC), but paying in Pesos is always better
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Etc....3046749?hl=nl
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Victoria BC
2,868 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We really like the small cove at Mismaloya. Lots of restaurants (with restrooms) to choose from.
It's about 20-30 mins from the cruise dock, depending on traffic and taxi driver.

I believe we paid around 200 pesos each taxi to and from Mismaloya.

We always go to the first restaurant when you cross the bridge or small water path. I forget the name but they have been there for many many years. Clean (but rustic) banos and they have a great massage hut

Food and service are great, I think we paid 120 pesos for a whole extremely fresh incredible red snapper complete with rice, beans, salads and tortillas.
DH had a bucket of 6 beer for around 60 pesos and I drank large Cazadore Margaritas for 80 pesos.

Love walking up the path to where they filmed Night of the Inguana (my favourite movie )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Saphire Princess 10 day Mexican Rivera 2011
Sapphire Princess Mexican Rivera 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=62545
Carribean Princess NYC -San Juan 2008
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=48777
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal May 2008
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=43038
Diamond Princess Mexican Rivera Nov 2006
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=23272
NCL Spirit Pacific Coastal 2005 <---Trying hard to elimate that horrible cruise from my memory bank.
Other Princess cruises long ago
San Diego, CA
5,795 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by quincytoo
We really like the small cove at Mismaloya. Lots of restaurants (with restrooms) to choose from.
It's about 20-30 mins from the cruise dock, depending on traffic and taxi driver.

I believe we paid around 200 pesos each taxi to and from Mismaloya.

We always go to the first restaurant when you cross the bridge or small water path. I forget the name but they have been there for many many years. Clean (but rustic) banos and they have a great massage hut

Food and service are great, I think we paid 120 pesos for a whole extremely fresh incredible red snapper complete with rice, beans, salads and tortillas.
DH had a bucket of 6 beer for around 60 pesos and I drank large Cazadore Margaritas for 80 pesos.

Love walking up the path to where they filmed Night of the Inguana (my favourite movie )
Agree... Misamloya is great. We stayed there for a week once on a land vacation... awesome!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
170 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Ine
Nuevo Vallarta is not only a different town, even a different state (Nayarit) The name of the beachclub is ETC. You can get one of the rather frequent buses at the busstop at the Walmar,t more or less opposite the cruise terminal. There is a guy with a clipboard that can point you to the correct bus.
Get off at Hotel Marival or Dreams, as you can see at this map. On the way back go to the same busstop.

Be aware ETC opens at 11.a.m. as mentioned the busride might take about 30/40 minutes depending stops and traffic. The servers in ETC all speak english. User google photos and you will see lots of photos.

Most of the drivers will accept US$, (as does ETC), but paying in Pesos is always better
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Etc....3046749?hl=nl
Sounds good, thank you
SoCal Baby!
3,630 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
FYI on Playa Los Muertos in PV: It gets hot and CROWDED with many locals! Get ready to pay for chairs.. umbrella slightly more... Lot's of vendors selling food and stuff. Also a great spot to for water sports/rentals. Just be prepared for the crowds. We were just there in July.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Tropicale 85 Mex Riv. First Cruise, got hooked!
Commadore Caribe 86 West Caribbean. 1st Cruise with my future wife! Had separate cabins, lol!
Carnival Jubilee (3) 90, 92, 94 Mex Riv. Some of the funnest times!
Carnival Sensation 96 West Caribbean.
Explorer of the Seas 01 West Caribbean. First cruise for my boys (3 and 9 years old)!!
Princess Star 02 Mex Riv. Drama Cruise!
Carnival Spirit 04 Mex Riv. First 8 day!
Carnival Valor 05 West Caribbean. Crazy times, I'm on fire!!
Vision of the Seas 08 Mex Riv. Good Times w/friends and family!
Mariner of the Seas 09 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Mariner of the Seas 10 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Carnival Splendor 12 Mex Riv. Cruise with family and sons' future in-laws!
Allure of the Seas 14 East Caribbean. Missed the ship in Nassau!
Celebrity Equinox 5/17 Southern Caribbean. Anniversary Cruise! First 10 day, it was awesome! Met great people!
Ruby Princess Mex Riv.10/17 Friends and Family cruise. More info to come!
Royal Princess East Coast/Canada. 10/18? Spend some time in NY before/after.
Royal/X/RCCL? Europe.?/19
Royal Princess Pacific Coastal. 5/19
and possibly a few others in between, can't remember!
San Diego, CA
5,795 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by klfhngr
FYI on Playa Los Muertos in PV: It gets hot.
News Flash, it's Mexico, and it's usually hot!

Originally posted by klfhngr
Lot's of vendors selling food and stuff.
Again, it's Mexico and this is a common occurrence. Was this your first visit?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10,756 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Again, it's Mexico and this is a common occurrence. Was this your first visit?[/quote]
Look at his profile!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich people stay rich by living like broke people
Broke people stay broke by living like rich people

I noticed the squirrels are starting to gather nuts --
Are you in a safe place ??
SoCal Baby!
3,630 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by KroozNut
News Flash, it's Mexico, and it's usually hot!

Again, it's Mexico and this is a common occurrence. Was this your first visit?
What's your definition of hot? 'Winter' months are not as hot as in the Summer.. This was more of an FYI for the person inquiring. Guess I need to be more specific.....

Again, this was more of an fFYI for them..... To be prepared just in case THEY were not familiar with the beach.... I've hung out at other beaches in Mexico and some of those had no vendors or only vendors that sold trinkets. I was just surprised as to how many FOOD vendors there were in Los Muertos......

Thanks Swede, I was going to say that
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Tropicale 85 Mex Riv. First Cruise, got hooked!
Commadore Caribe 86 West Caribbean. 1st Cruise with my future wife! Had separate cabins, lol!
Carnival Jubilee (3) 90, 92, 94 Mex Riv. Some of the funnest times!
Carnival Sensation 96 West Caribbean.
Explorer of the Seas 01 West Caribbean. First cruise for my boys (3 and 9 years old)!!
Princess Star 02 Mex Riv. Drama Cruise!
Carnival Spirit 04 Mex Riv. First 8 day!
Carnival Valor 05 West Caribbean. Crazy times, I'm on fire!!
Vision of the Seas 08 Mex Riv. Good Times w/friends and family!
Mariner of the Seas 09 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Mariner of the Seas 10 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Carnival Splendor 12 Mex Riv. Cruise with family and sons' future in-laws!
Allure of the Seas 14 East Caribbean. Missed the ship in Nassau!
Celebrity Equinox 5/17 Southern Caribbean. Anniversary Cruise! First 10 day, it was awesome! Met great people!
Ruby Princess Mex Riv.10/17 Friends and Family cruise. More info to come!
Royal Princess East Coast/Canada. 10/18? Spend some time in NY before/after.
Royal/X/RCCL? Europe.?/19
Royal Princess Pacific Coastal. 5/19
and possibly a few others in between, can't remember!