Anyone bring an umbrella to Great Stirrup Cay?

Kryssa

We're a beach family so we have beach umbrellas at home - no need to buy one. We are also driving to the port (NYC) so no worries about bringing it on a plane.

Would NCL care if we set it up on the beach?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I doubt they would let you on the tender from the ship to the beach with an umbrella.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well it does pack down into a bag [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we like to be near the water and in and out of the shade all day. I'm not doubting there are shady spots on GSC, I would just like to make my own and make it sunny or shady as needed :)

But I guess what I'm asking is has anyone brought an umbrella?

Well we like to be near the water and in and out of the shade all day. I'm not doubting there are shady spots on GSC, I would just like to make my own and make it sunny or shady as needed :)

But I guess what I'm asking is has anyone brought an umbrella?

Never saw someone with one on GSC nor read about it. As said above, the tender staff might preclude the umbrella if it's too bulky ( classic beach umbrella).

Another reason why they are never seen might be the free line of sight on/to the beach the cruise line would like to preserve for the beach supervisors (as they are not life guards IIRC) and the picture perfectness of GSC..? Otherwise it surely would have been done before but not sure about that, just a thing to consider! :)

When we were there we did not see a single beach umbrella, I would think that it wouldn't be allowed right up front due to supervision issues. When I traveled to US beach I went to put up my umbrella and was told I'd have to be be way back to use it because it obstructs views of the water. We actually had a hard time finding a spot in full sun and when we were in the front row.

We brought two umbrellas with us on the Spirit, we were in a suite and they even carried them on for us when we boarded, I love the sun but can not tolerate it, friends that were with us have skin cancer problems so that is why we brought 2.

We brought them to GSC no problem, stuck them in between loungers and were also shaded a little by a palm tree but you have to get there early to carve out a spot like that.

Our umbrellas are the kind in a bag to carry over the shoulder, they are in two pieces, works out great, use them at cemetery beach on Cayman also.

No one said a word about the umbrellas, I have seen others do the same, have a wonderful cruise.

We brought two umbrellas with us on the Spirit, we were in a suite and they even carried them on for us when we boarded, I love the sun but can not tolerate it, friends that were with us have skin cancer problems so that is why we brought 2.

We brought them to GSC no problem, stuck them in between loungers and were also shaded a little by a palm tree but you have to get there early to carve out a spot like that.

Our umbrellas are the kind in a bag to carry over the shoulder, they are in two pieces, works out great, use them at cemetery beach on Cayman also.

No one said a word about the umbrellas, I have seen others do the same, have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks coscab - this is exactly what we are looking for. Ours are similar [emoji4]

We saw personal umbrellas on GSC this May, popped between loungers ... not as great protection against sun or UV, of course. Here's the picture that I found with it, not far near elevated lifeguard chair stand.

Pop-up sunshade will likely work better, IMO. I recall others on Gem's roll call with plans for bringing their own, just like snorkel gear. Have fun on GSC. It's hot there so ... (and, FYI - in case most aren't aware >>> great GSC now has active & usable WiFi signal from your NCL ship while docked there ... if you have an unlimited paid WiFi plan. Plus, it has "live" cellular tower - we're connected to "BTC" as our roaming 3G cell signal, worked great !!)

294f503eeb5e5cce40e1d70e23e358dc.jpg

on T-Mobile, Project Fi or WiFi via dual-sims Blu R1HD using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks mking! Love the pics of the umbrella and the cell service info! We have T-Mobile so BTS is included for free text and data on our phones [emoji106]

Thanks mking! Love the pics of the umbrella and the cell service info! We have T-Mobile so BTS is included for free text and data on our phones [emoji106]

Enjoy and checkout the tips on WiFi in my linked post below.

Here are more pix of GSC.

78fa02ba6e47da57cfd6c0fc55cb29e4.jpg3af0d23dd64986b007871886a1b387a4.jpg

on T-Mobile, Project Fi or WiFi via dual-sims Blu R1HD using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I'd much rather be sitting in front of someone with an umbrella then in front of a clam shell....for almost the cost of the clamshell I can buy this and have it for everywhere I go....including our local beaches at home. This portable umbrella that breaks down to 24 inches....fits nicely in a suitcase and it has a carry case for lugging to the beach. http://portabrella.com/