Rock of ages on the Norwegian breakaway… OK for kids?

Mhl76

It's not necessary to exposure your 8 & 10 to this show. Let them stay kids a bit longer

Btw I hide very few things from my kids....but I only took my college kids to see this play and mostly for the "music history" behind the play

I took my 12/17/19yo at the time to Million Dollar Quartet on Broadway....they were the youngest ones there...but again for the music history aspect...and they loved it...but it wasn't racy at all.

Took my 13 yo to jersey boys...which does have some racy elements but it was all good

That 13 yo is now 16...and probably would take her to rock of ages....but she also is not easily swayed and is quite grounded....I take her to R movies too if it's a good movie without giving it a 2nd thought

Oh and I took my 16 and 18 yo at the time to the Hair revival on Broadway...again for the history aspect...music as well as cultural history

I warned them in advance the actors would be running around naked...it was no big deal...but then again it was a great opportunity to let my kids see one of the most popular plays ever!!!

Put the 8 and 10 yo in the kids club that night don't take them to rock of ages

Funny thing isn't it...that no one worries about taking the littles to see Mamma Mia? That play...while very good...does have a premise that most parents would not want to encourage their kids to buy into

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships
  • Like 1

It's not necessary to exposure your 8 & 10 to this show. Let them stay kids a bit longer

Btw I hide very few things from my kids....but I only took my college kids to see this play and mostly for the "music history" behind the play

I took my 12/17/19yo at the time to Million Dollar Quartet on Broadway....they were the youngest ones there...but again for the music history aspect...and they loved it...but it wasn't racy at all.

Took my 13 yo to jersey boys...which does have some racy elements but it was all good

That 13 yo is now 16...and probably would take her to rock of ages....but she also is not easily swayed and is quite grounded....I take her to R movies too if it's a good movie without giving it a 2nd thought

Oh and I took my 16 and 18 yo at the time to the Hair revival on Broadway...again for the history aspect...music as well as cultural history

I warned them in advance the actors would be running around naked...it was no big deal...but then again it was a great opportunity to let my kids see one of the most popular plays ever!!!

Put the 8 and 10 yo in the kids club that night

Our HS choir went to see ROA, and my mom let me see the movie Hairspray when I was in 6th grade, but I think there was just one nude scene.

My husband went to this show on Breakaway and said it was about as good as a high school musical - in other words, he thought it sucked. He said they changed the lyrics of a lot of famous songs to fit the story line of the show which didn't work for him. Expect strong language, lots and lots of drinking, drug references and the prominence of strippers and groupies and extremely suggestive sex scenes in the story line. What I would suggest is that you rent the DVD or watch the movie online (such as at Amazon or Netflix) and decide for yourself.

• Like 1

I consider myself a fairly liberal parent, but I would not bring either of my boys to ROA. They are 12 and 9. Personally I don't care for the explicit nature of the show even as an adult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really depends on the maturity level of the children....are they "street-smart", and worldly? Or are they very sheltered and naive?

I don't believe there is any actual nudity in the show, but there are some very sexually suggestive acts and dialogue involved....

I have seen it happen....some parents bring their children to the show against all suggestions to the contrary...when suddenly at some point, they realize their error in judgement, and hurriedly rush them out of the theater....

So....if in doubt....send the kiddies to the Splash Academy.;)

My DH and I were on the Breakaway last September.

I seem to recall a notice in the dailies about the mature

nature of ROA ,and that it was not suitable for young children ( words to that effect).

We are fortunate to be able to see many Broadway shows in NYC ,and we would never choose this show for entertainment. We are not interested in the content.

I would not bring a child (that is any person under 18) to this show. That said, its fantastic, weve seen it 4 times and going for 5 and 6 in may!

Its very frustrating when people bring their kids because they always end up walking out 15 minutes in and it disrupts others who heeded the advice of the box office to leave the kids elsewhere.

I would not bring a child (that is any person under 18) to this show. That said, its fantastic, weve seen it 4 times and going for 5 and 6 in may!

Its very frustrating when people bring their kids because they always end up walking out 15 minutes in and it disrupts others who heeded the advice of the box office to leave the kids elsewhere.

I agree! It's not like it isn't advertised that the show is not for kids.

Our HS choir went to see ROA, and my mom let me see the movie Hairspray when I was in 6th grade, but I think there was just one nude scene.

I said Hair not Hairspray

Big difference in the nude scenes

Didn't even know hairspray had a nude scene

ROA is no big deal for a high schooler but the op was talking about 8 and 10 yo I believe

Let's face it art is art

My kids saw David at young ages (only a fool would keep a young kid from that kind of art)

But ROA just isn't appropriate for under 15 yo

However there will be plenty of 10 yo kids at the BA performances you can count on it

As I said earlier....let them stay kids don't push them and seeing ROA is pushing them

I wouldn't take my son.

I saw it a couple of years ago (both movie and on the ship) and my suggestion is to find a DVD or Netflix etc of ROA and watch it. I think that would be the best way to determine what is right for you/your family.

My husband went to this show on Breakaway and said it was about as good as a high school musical - in other words, he thought it sucked. He said they changed the lyrics of a lot of famous songs to fit the story line of the show which didn't work for him. Expect strong language, lots and lots of drinking, drug references and the prominence of strippers and groupies and extremely suggestive sex scenes in the story line. What I would suggest is that you rent the DVD or watch the movie online (such as at Amazon or Netflix) and decide for yourself.

The movie bears very little resemblance to the stage show.

There is strong language (F word) and some pretty strong adult content. There are repeated warnings before the show that it's not for kids.

It's pretty true to the Broadway version, except one scene that is actually more suggestive on Breakaway.

I personally love the show, and have seen it many times. I'd recommend it highly to adults, but I wouldn't suggest bringing younger kids. Teenagers, maybe. It's really up to the parents to decide.

I said Hair not Hairspray

Big difference in the nude scenes

Didn't even know hairspray had a nude scene

ROA is no big deal for a high schooler but the op was talking about 8 and 10 yo I believe

Let's face it art is art

My kids saw David at young ages (only a fool would keep a young kid from that kind of art)

But ROA just isn't appropriate for under 15 yo

However there will be plenty of 10 yo kids at the BA performances you can count on it

As I said earlier....let them stay kids don't push them and seeing ROA is pushing them

Oops, sorry, I meant Hair (showing my age). My parents had the album, and I was obsessed with the movie!

• 1 month later...

Wow! Has this show changed since 2015? There was absolutely NO NUDITY when I saw this performance. Perhaps teaching in the Bronx has jaded me a bit, but we took my nephews (ages 5 and 7 at the time) to this show and they loved it! My brother and his wife explained to them that there would be some "adult" things going on and that they were never to repeat any of the inappropriate words they heard - but they really didn't focus on that. Both boys LOVED the music! We also sat a bit near the exit because we told them that if they felt uncomfortable at any time, we would leave and do something else. They stayed through the show - and sang the songs for days and weeks after!

I understand that this is not for everyone, and my nephews are a bit mature for their ages, but unless something has drastically changed, I (and yes, this is only one person's opinion) didn't think it was THAT inappropriate. But, to each their own! :)

PS - The only thing I can think of is that maybe they "toned it down" a bit because it was during the summer and there were a lot of children on board???

• 1 year later...
Deff not for kids. Btw, we saw them early May 2018 and gosh, it was not good. I would say nearly 20-30% of the people walked out .

Thanks. Just be aware that you are responding to a question on a dead thread from over a year ago.

Mostly, you shouldn't bring them because they will be bored. The adult themes and music of the era are only entertaining to adults, IMO. I saw it once. I thought I'd see it again the next time I was on the ship, and I was REALLY bored.

• 2 months later...