Rock of ages on the Norwegian breakaway… OK for kids?

Mhl76

I took my daughter to see it the first time at age 15, she is mature and was able to handle it fine. The ship's show is exactly like the stage show except for one song omitted and 3 scenes shortened so they can run it without an intermission.

There are plenty of mature themes: drinking, drugs, strippers, language, and scenes suggesting sex acts. Sit in the front half so the people who don't like it don't interrupt your view when they get up. And yes, every show has a family that ignored the warnings and ends up getting up in the first 20 minutes.

The Broadway show had a good run in NYC and Las Vegas and is just starting a new road tour. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for people who like rock n roll and musicals and the 80s, it's great. Many of the songs are mash-ups - two songs that alternate for a scene. Words to songs are not changed as much as some would have you believe - only a few wordplay changes. Most of the changes are late starts and shortened songs.

The actors are many of the same who did it on Broadway and they play their parts so well. Since this is real Broadway, it's a step above all the other ship entertainment in my opinion. The theater was built with far better facilities to be Broadway quality also.

Source: I've seen the show 2 times on Broadway and 11 times on Breakaway. Many of the actors recognize me when I return.

I've seen the show on London West End seen the film and twice on board Breakaway

love it but then that is to my taste

am always perplexed when people walk out having failed to take note of warnings of content

its even worse on Epic with Priscilla Queen of desert[which I also love]

• Like 3

I saw all the warnings and still raised an eyebrow at the language (in a "wow, they actually did go there!" way). Not horrific in the grand scheme of things, but a definite departure from the usual PG (at most) cruise show language. It wasn't an episode of Deadwood, but a little jarring. As I recall it was less about language and more lewd insinuations/gestures, etc.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with middle teens seeing it, or tweens who are mature enough to appreciate that they're watching adult material and won't parrot it for effect later. You know your kids.

However, if you already know you're strict about that sort of thing, I would err on the side of caution.

As an adult, the language and content didn't bother me, but I personally wouldn't take an under 18. But to me it was just embarrassingly bad. I would say horrible. I regret not walking out, and kicked myself for staying to the end. My wife was also upset with me that I didn't suggest walking out. :) But it seems that some people liked it.

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t think the show said anything that lots of kids aren’t already hearing on the school bus. We took our girls when they were 9 and 11. Was it inappropriate? Sure. Have they mentioned it since? Nope. So it clearly didn’t leave a lasting impression on them. We all thought it was pretty funny, and the girls loved the music.

That said, we are a very liberal family. Swearing and jokes about sex don’t offend us and we are very open and honest with our kids. I’m sure plenty of people will think I’m a terrible mother for taking them but I honestly don’t care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 year later...

I’d say no. We saw the broadway tour this summer. The F bomb was used excessively and unnecessarily (and I’ve been known to use the word...but this was excessive.) I also thought it over the top raunchy....no actual full nudity, but highly suggestive in a raunchy manner.

I would hope the version on NCL been toned down at least a little bit from what I saw this summer.

Actually I thought only one scene in a filthy bathroom was raunchy and made me uncomfortable watching with my mature 

(Last Week with John Oliver fan) 13YO daughter.    Some of the dancing may be considered inappropriate but it is nothing more

than what one typically sees on TV anytime.   Great dancing, decent story, pseudo music while live do not come close the original cuts.   We do not use the foul language used throughout the show, but it always good to be exposed to how other exist.

When discussing the show with my daughter she indicated she enjoyed but revealed she has no desire to see the Adult comedy shows on the ship---had taken her to one at 9:30 not realizing it was an adult audience.  

Bottom line , kids younger than 13 - 14 should not be exposed to the show, IMO as a progressive.

These kinds of threads make me laugh because you would think NCL is putting on an obscene strip show.  I applaud NCL for not having dancing puppets as their main entertainment.  If Rock of Ages offends you then maybe Disney is your cruise line.

Here is the hyporcrisy.  The parents who get offended and walk out of the show because of pretend marijuana smoking, the F bomb or dirty dancing also give their 10 year old kids I phones which gives their child access to the world that they spend looking up dirty words or videos.  They hear the same stuff on the school bus and see much worse on MTV. When they walk out, they let their kids shoot up people in laser tag.  Yet they bash NCL for not giving them enough "warning."

Turn off the TV, surrender the I phone, disconnect the computer from the internet, and transport your child to school.  If you do that, then you have a right to complain about the show.

🙂

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, mjkacmom said:

Oops, sorry, I meant Hair (showing my age). My parents had the album, and I was obsessed with the movie!

I enjoyed seeing Hairspray on a ship immensely.  I fell asleep five minutes in and was awakened by the applause at the end.  Had a great day the next day.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:11 PM, klo0315 said:

Personally, I don’t think the show said anything that lots of kids aren’t already hearing on the school bus. We took our girls when they were 9 and 11. Was it inappropriate? Sure. Have they mentioned it since? Nope. So it clearly didn’t leave a lasting impression on them. We all thought it was pretty funny, and the girls loved the music.

That said, we are a very liberal family. Swearing and jokes about sex don’t offend us and we are very open and honest with our kids. I’m sure plenty of people will think I’m a terrible mother for taking them but I honestly don’t care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I remember it being more corny than vulgar.  

It is definitely NOT for kids.  The adult language is extremely and unnecessarily over-the-top.

However, I said it before and is worth repeating... the show is simply unbearably awful (having nothing to do with the language or age appropriateness).  I like the music, but was embarrassed for the cast as it was so bad.  As soon as it was over, everyone was commenting on how bad it was as we walked out.  I still regret having not walked out early, as it was by far the worst part of the 11 days I spent on the Breakaway.  It's as bad as bad gets, and then some more.  It was by far the worst play/musical/theatre I have ever encountered.  Jokes weren't funny.  Storyline contrived.  They could have improved the show immensely by just playing the songs and being done with it.  It wasn't so much the acting, as the same performers were great in other things I saw them do during the week.

Also, in case I forgot to mention, this show was exceptionally horrible.  I can't stress it enough.  I would have had a better time rummaging through garbage bins or just watching the webcam feed from the front of the ship for two hours.  It was a bad stain on an otherwise great cruise.

Don't avoid it for the language.  Avoid it because it is simply a terrible show.  Don't let kids go regardless.  If you do go, and 10-15 minutes in you aren't enjoying it, then don't stick it out like I did as it only gets worse.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

These kinds of threads make me laugh because you would think NCL is putting on an obscene strip show.  I applaud NCL for not having dancing puppets as their main entertainment.  If Rock of Ages offends you then maybe Disney is your cruise line.

Here is the hyporcrisy.  The parents who get offended and walk out of the show because of pretend marijuana smoking, the F bomb or dirty dancing also give their 10 year old kids I phones which gives their child access to the world that they spend looking up dirty words or videos.  They hear the same stuff on the school bus and see much worse on MTV. When they walk out, they let their kids shoot up people in laser tag.  Yet they bash NCL for not giving them enough "warning."

Turn off the TV, surrender the I phone, disconnect the computer from the internet, and transport your child to school.  If you do that, then you have a right to complain about the show.

🙂

Touche!

I'm a product of the "hair band" days.  Found the show very enjoyable and had a wonderful time when I saw it.  As David says, I'm sure kids hear and say far worse on the playground or school bus.  And, NCL does warn of the "adult content".

That said, if you think the fake weed smoking, the language or the dancing is offensive, you'll probably not want to attend, let alone have your kid attend.  I'd venture to say that some (adults and kids) just don't like heavy metal music and the life style that went along with it during its heyday.

Again, if you think you'll be offended, we're warning you off this show, and NCL certainly warns about its content in several ways and several times before the show is even performed.

16 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

I’d say no. We saw the broadway tour this summer. The F bomb was used excessively and unnecessarily (and I’ve been known to use the word...but this was excessive.) I also thought it over the top raunchy....no actual full nudity, but highly suggestive in a raunchy manner.

I would hope the version on NCL been toned down at least a little bit from what I saw this summer.

Legally they can’t change a show they bought the rights to, they can’t change a word.

amazing how this show polarises people

have seen London West End, Film with Tom Cruise and on board ship

enjoyed all of them

however multiple warnings that not suitable for kids-same for Priscilla Queen of Desert but people still disregard and then walk out in a strop minutes into show causing disruption for rest of audience 

Sexual inuendo, strong language, allusions to drugs. Rock music lyrics . Unfortnately kids are exposed to much, much more in real life. Gun violence and drugs in school. Up to you as a parent. My kids not bothered by any of it   It's a personal decision. Look at the violent computer games you let them play. It's entertainment