Money Bar, my experience

kimala

We visited the Money bar while on our cruise last week. Hubby and I are in our late 50s early 60s and are pretty active. We went to money bar primarily because it has a great reputation for being a good snorkling spot. We brought our own snorkling equipment.

The cab fare should be $10 each way from the RCL port to the MoneyBar. Unfortunately our cab driver ripped us off and charged $14 for the trip over...I didnt know even though I had read on line here the rate was $9 or $10 I figured maybe it had gone up:evilsmile:.

We arrived around 10:00 and pretty much had our choice of loungers. Hubby was dissapointed as there is no real beach front and the only way to enter the water is some natural stone steps with one metal railing leading into the water from the bulkhead. It was pretty overcaste the day we were there and the water was extreamly rough making the entrance point look like a washing machine. I watched several people fight their way in falling several times and decided I didnt want to risk getting injured so never got to snorkle.

All was not lost...we ended up getting FANTASTC MASSAGES only $26 for 1/2 hr...I gave the lady a generous tip as she was great. We also sat on the deck at a table under the awesome thatched roof of the bar and had some aps..I had chicken quesadillas which came with refried beans and gucamole...hubby had buffalo wings...we each had a coke and also tried a non alcohol juice drink called a snorklers paradise..everything was yummy...I think it came to $28.

I heard that it was pretty unusual for the water to be that rough...I would probably try it again as long as the forcaste was for mostely sunny skys and calm seas. Even though we didnt get to snorkle we still had a fantastic day without spending a lot of money.

Edited by kimala
spelling

We visited the Money bar while on our cruise last week. Hubby and I are in our late 50s early 60s and are pretty active. We went to money bar primarily because it has a great reputation for being a good snorkling spot. We brought our own snorkling equipment.

The cab fare should be $10 each way from the RCL port to the MoneyBar. Unfortunately our cab driver ripped us off and charged $14 for the trip over...I didnt know even though I had read on line here the rate was $9 or $10 I figured maybe it had gone up:evilsmile:.

We arrived around 10:00 and pretty much had our choice of loungers. Hubby was dissapointed as there is no real beach front and the only way to enter the water is some natural stone steps with one metal railing leading into the water from the bulkhead. It was pretty overcaste the day we were there and the water was extreamly rough making the entrance point look like a washing machine. I watched several people fight their way in falling several times and decided I didnt want to risk getting injured so never got to snorkle.

All was not lost...we ended up getting FANTASTC MASSAGES only $26 for 1/2 hr...I gave the lady a generous tip as she was great. We also sat on the deck at a table under the awesome thatched roof of the bar and had some aps..I had chicken quesadillas which came with refried beans and gucamole...hubby had buffalo wings...we each had a coke and also tried a non alcohol juice drink called a snorklers paradise..everything was yummy...I think it came to $28.

I heard that it was pretty unusual for the water to be that rough...I would probably try it again as long as the forcaste was for mostely sunny skys and calm seas. Even though we didnt get to snorkle we still had a fantastic day without spending a lot of money.

Thanks for this. People do need to be aware there is no real beach there.

Glad you enjoyed your day, it is one of our favorites especially if you can catch Happy Hour and a sunset from the deck.

Sorry you were ripped off by the taxi, always a good idea to check current price on the boards posted at each of the piers in Cozumel before you leave, and confirm with the driver before leaving.

The lack of beach shouldn’t really have been a surprise if you had done some research before you left. I am not sure what made you choose Money Bar but they presently have a very good gallery of photos on their website (unlike previously) and people on here regularly state that there is no real beach since the coastline is ironstone, (hence the reason it is recommended for snorkeling), with a man-made sandy area with some loungers. The snorkeling can have strong currents, as you found depending on the weather, but there is also a regular drift current explained at the snorkel shack. I personally would not snorkel due to the preponderance of boat traffic and my lack of confidence in my physical ability as I get older, but many people do enjoy the shore snorkeling and I hope you are able to enjoy it in the future.

Just be aware that wherever you choose in Cozumel you will not get a sandy beach and good shore snorkeling. If you want a sandy beach you will need to take a boat out to snorkel.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks for this. People do need to be aware there is no real beach there.

I think it is regularly posted on this board that there is no real beach due to the ironstone shoreline, which makes it a better location for snorkeling from shore.

The updated website now has an excellent photo gallery of the location, it is just lacking on prices for menus and amenities compared to the old website.

The lack of a sandy beach keeps the water clear and great for snorkeling.

Cab fares are posted on the board near the cab line for your pier -- it is always a good idea to verify the fare BEFORE you get into the taxi.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

As stated above, check the board for cab fare and double check with the driver.

I haven't been to the Money Bar but this sounds similar to snorkeling at Chankanaab. You have to enter the water via rocky steps that can be rough on the feet and the time we were there the water was very rough. We hesitated going in, but once we did, the snorkeling was great. Couldn't feel the waves that much out in the water.

The Money Bar reef used to be known as Dzul-Ha. Not a bad reef and there's a decently large protected area to snorkel. Once you get out to the buoy line, the bottom is about 25' deep and you can spot a good amount of sea life. Be aware that there is a prevailing current - south to north.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone...yes I did do my research before choosing money bar so I wasnt surprised by the lack of beach...but I think I didnt communicate that to my husband and he had "assumed".. I think the moral of my whole story is that there is a lot more to offer at the Money Bar then just snorkling and even though I didnt get to snorkle I still had a great day!:p

I do love the money bar..many years ago when it was zhul ha..there was only a straw covered bar type structure,there was someone that day that offered to follow him to see the best parts of the reef,it was awesome..yes it is a rocky entrance but it was awesome,now that it is money bar I have been 2 times,food and people there were awesome,we snorkeled but I did not try hard enough to find the spots our guide brought us to the first time,food was good too ,I will always try to get back there,wish I could stay sometime for the sunset,and looks like they have a band at night..

On getting a taxi, ALWAYS go all the way out of the port. here is a taxi stand out there. I told them where I wanted to go and they quoted me a price then after I accepted they got me a cab. went very well. The drivers inside will try to get whatever they can from you.

Not sure which port you are talking about (there are three in Cozumel) or where you walked to, but each has a dispatch area as John says, with a board and prices posted. The dispatcher will quote you a price as you say. You should already know the price from the board. Never hurts to confirm price with driver before leaving.

Out on the street many taxis will stop and ask if you want a ride and will haggle, so best to have an idea of price in advance, although they should all carry a tariff card.