Revamped Coco Cay - What private island would you pick instead?

What private destination would you pick?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What private destination would you pick?

• Still Coco Cay
    • Labadee
    • Half Moon Cay
    • Princess Cays
    • Castaway Cay
    • Harvest Caye
    • Great Stirrup Cay

I just realized something. When I first started cruising, Labadee was my favorite beach break. Then royal built bungalows, added all kinds of other stuff, and I no longer had a desire to go there. I tried it once,and it had changed so much, it was no longer enjoyable. I avoid wasting my time on cruises going there. Found Coco Cay and fell in love with it. I looked for cruises going there. Went on a Princess cruise for the ten day itinerary and enjoyed Princess Cay. Coco Cay remained my favorite. Now with all the changes coming, I will be avoiding cruises to Coco Cay. (I’d rather go to a port than waste my time on another “ship/sea” day.) That limited my royal cruises choices. My realization, if I want a nice beach day, I need to book with Princess. I may be booking more and more with them to get the experience I want. I was just at Princess Cay in December (again), and found it to be as enjoyable as the soon to be “old” Coco Cay.

I just realized something. When I first started cruising, Labadee was my favorite beach break. Then royal built bungalows, added all kinds of other stuff, and I no longer had a desire to go there. I tried it once,and it had changed so much, it was no longer enjoyable. I avoid wasting my time on cruises going there. Found Coco Cay and fell in love with it. I looked for cruises going there. Went on a Princess cruise for the ten day itinerary and enjoyed Princess Cay. Coco Cay remained my favorite. Now with all the changes coming, I will be avoiding cruises to Coco Cay. (I’d rather go to a port than waste my time on another “ship/sea” day.) That limited my royal cruises choices. My realization, if I want a nice beach day, I need to book with Princess. I may be booking more and more with them to get the experience I want. I was just at Princess Cay in December (again), and found it to be as enjoyable as the soon to be “old” Coco Cay.

Thank you for sharing your experience. We feel exactly the same way! Now that RCL has decimated Coco Cay, we no longer care to go there either. We have not yet sailed on Princess but have heard very positive feedback on cruising with them. In the future, we will look forward to trying a Princess cruise that includes a stop at their private island.

Try taking a cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay, to me that is the best private island. The only island on the list that I haven't been to is Castaway Cay.

The only island on the list that I haven't been to is Castaway Cay.

We visited Castaway Cay last November. I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking that it would feel more like Disney and less like the Bahamas, but I truly enjoyed it.

It is a well developed island in true Disney fashion. It has a pier and tram service to/from there on well paved roads with pedestrian sidewalks. The infrastructure is tastefully done and it has some neat features, like a floating water park that you swim to.

With all of that said, Castaway Cay still feels “rustic” and laid back, and it doesn’t feel overdeveloped. Disney managed to maintain its island charm while adding its Disney touches. We even walked along the paths to an observation tower and from there, we could see that the developed area is actually a small portion of the island.

I do wonder how Coco Cay will compare. Will Royal Caribbean manage to develop it while still maintaining its island charm? Will there be enough island left in its natural state? Or will it feel like an island based amusement park?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm afraid my beautiful Coco Cay will be ruined by all the neat things they have planned. I liked it when I knew we could feel isolated like Robinson Caruso and enjoy nature in all its glory.

Remember that song by Joni Mitchell...Pave Paradise put up a parking lot....

But I will continue to go. We have Symphony coming up Sept. 2019...will be anxiously awaiting our trip there. Hope they do not disturb my pink Octopus in the snorkel lagoon! They should have stopped with just the pier!

I like a nice beach anywhere on a cruise but when it doesn’t cost a ton to take a cab, rent a lounger, paying for lunch and drinks then to me it is great. Lots of folks pay a bunch to go to resorts etc in the various ports but this will avoid all of that so I think it is great.

I like the idea of them doing this. I’m sure there will still be some peaceful spots for those wanting relaxation and now more than blow up slides etc.

These islands have long ago lost that unspoiled category anyhow. Might as well make them really nice.