Boarding, food and other new to boats questions

Westie goes west

My dog and I are moving from Ireland to the US so we're taking QM2 from Southampton in May to get us across the Atlantic and then driving for three weeks from Brooklyn to Portland, Oregon.

I have so many newbie questions but one thing I'd love to know is if there is any help with suitcases when you check in Southampton? I'm worried about managing the dog and the suitcase and I'm not sure how check in works on boats.

My other question is about tips and currency. Will Euros be OK or should I change into US dollars or Sterling.

Any advice for first time solo travellers would be really appreciated.

I've booked a Queens Grills room and I'd like to know if you don't want to dress up every night are there alternative to Gills restaurant?

We're so excited about the journey ahead but the little details have me stressed out :')

There are porters at Southampton who will take your luggage from you when you arrive, it's much easier than an airport.

In Queens Grill your butler can serve food from the dining room in your suite.

Have a wonderful trip and please don't be stressed out !

There are porters at Southampton who will take your luggage from you when you arrive, it's much easier than an airport.

In Queens Grill your butler can serve food from the dining room in your suite.

Have a wonderful trip and please don't be stressed out !

Thank you!! That is a relief to know it's easier than in an aiport

As I do read the a****** word, I must kindly ask you to watch your language. ;-) This discussion is about civilized forms of travel.

The check-in at the Southampton Ocean Terminal usually runs very smoothly and is incomparable to anything that happens at those places of the aforementioned kind.

If you arrive by taxi at the Ocean Terminal there will be baggage handlers at your taxi at the very moment you arrive.

It's easier to get the things you want to keep in your hand baggage out of your main baggage before you arrive at the terminal. Grills guests also have their own check-in desk.

You will not need any cash on board except for extra tips to waiters or cabin steward/butler at the end of your crossing.

So take a few dollars with you - in case you feel generous. Euros will do the job too, I guess. These tips are by no means mandatory.

On turnaround day afternoon tea is served for grills guests only (usually the Grills Lounge at about 3:30pm).

What a Grand Adventure! Make sure your Cunard luggage labels are on the big cases ( the ones for the porters) before you arrive at the port. All you need to worry about is your hand luggage (preferably the wheeled kind), your documentation and Westie! I’m sure you won’t be the only one with a pet travelling. Have a safe journey.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure about the question on currency. You will need some cash after you have disembarked. I assume you have arranged for more US dollars in the US and a way (e.g., ATM machine) to replenish dollars while you are here. Arranged for dog friendly accommodations on the trip. All shots for the dog and proof thereof.

I'm not sure how check in works on boats.

My other question is about tips and currency. Will Euros be OK or should I change into US dollars or Sterling.

:')

You really don't want to be going into any boats, unless the ship is sinking.

Under no circumstances should you change currency on board. The rate you will get is exceptionally poor. We always take plenty of USD, but if it's for tips, the crew will accept anything but blows.

Stewart

On Embarkation day ( turn around day) I believe it is Lunch that is severed for Grill guests (in their respective restaurants) Afternoon tea is not served, as crew and joining guests will be preparing for the mandatory muster drill.;)

On Embarkation day ( turn around day) I believe it is Lunch that is severed for Grill guests (in their respective restaurants) Afternoon tea is not served, as crew and joining guests will be preparing for the mandatory muster drill.;)

Oops. My apologies for delivering fake news.

As you can guess, 3rd class (i.e. Britannia, Inside) is what my budget usually gets me.

Going up to the kennels to catch sight of the dogs, was a much loved daily activity for us. Be sure and post pics of your dog here upon your return. Everyone loves to see the doggie pics

You really don't want to be going into any boats, unless the ship is sinking.

Under no circumstances should you change currency on board. The rate you will get is exceptionally poor. We always take plenty of USD, but if it's for tips, the crew will accept anything but blows.

Stewart

Don’t necessarily agree with your comment about changing currency.

We use cards for virtually everything ashore, so find its better just to change a few £’s at a time on the ship (for the odd coffee) so that we are not left with a load of foreign currency that we have to change back when we get home.

Currency.

You will need Euros only for when you are in Ireland. So that is transport and transit through Irish cafes etc if you stop en route.

When you arrive in the United Kingdom you need pounds Sterling. Once again if you stop and buy things whilst transiting the UK.

Once on board you only need US Dollars. While on the ship it is a cashless system and all currency can be avoided but since you are staying thereafter in USA it is best to have US Dollars from here onwards.

A credit/debit card might be useful when travelling up to boarding and when checking in to board a credit card is ideal to settle your on board expenses account.

Bon voyage John

Don’t necessarily agree with your comment about changing currency.

Not only do you always get a bad rate, but if you wanted to change say, from GBP to Euros, that would involve firstly changing GBP to USD (at a bad rate), then changing USD to Euros (again, at a bad rate), so you get stung twice.