Locks

bushy tail

Yes, you can. However, if you are flying, TSA has the right to open your suitcase to examine the contents. If you have TSA approved locks, they have a master key and can open it, check the contents and re-lock it. If you use locks that are not approved, they will cut them off and discard them. You will not be compensated.

Yes, you can. However, if you are flying, TSA has the right to open your suitcase to examine the contents. If you have TSA approved locks, they have a master key and can open it, check the contents and re-lock it. If you use locks that are not approved, they will cut them off and discard them. You will not be compensated.

Of course so does anyone who makes a living stealing out of suitcases....

My son-in-law put a lock on his suitcase....so far so good but when he arrived in Miami his suitcase wasn't on the flight. It was forwarded to him on the cruise some three days later in Jamaica. The lock had been broken and his suitcase damaged. I suspect customs did that to see if there were any drugs within. As he was on ship and enjoying his hol, he went over the few days were he should have complained to the airline and so they said he couldn't claim compensation. Meanwhile he had to buy clothes on ship at great expense until; the suitcase arrived.

So I wouldn't recommend locking suitcases

I always put a TSA-approved lock on my luggage, even when flying. If you don't use a TSA lock, they have the right to break into your luggage. This has been the case for a number of years. You can purchase a TSA lock pretty much anywhere, including Walmart.

I always put a TSA-approved lock on my luggage, even when flying. If you don't use a TSA lock, they have the right to break into your luggage. This has been the case for a number of years. You can purchase a TSA lock pretty much anywhere, including Walmart.

So true. You can also tell when they search them, not from the card they leave but how sloppy they put it back together.:eek:

If TSA inspectors open your luggage, they place a notice in the bag(s) to inform you of their search.
Not always. When flying home from NYC last month, my TSA lock has an indicater if it's been opened by the TSA; the flag was up so it was opened. But no notice, either a card or sticker.

We don't bother with locks of any description and just use cable ties. Locks aren't going to keep any thief out of your suitcase, zippers can be opened and closed in a second. I started a thread a couple of months ago in another forum asking who had had things removed from unlocked suitcases...as I recall only one person had. The best thing to do is to never place anything of value in a checked bag. However if locks give you a sense of security, who am I to argue.

Not always. When flying home from NYC last month, my TSA lock has an indicater if it's been opened by the TSA; the flag was up so it was opened. But no notice, either a card or sticker.

It could be that it wasn't a TSA agent that looked in your case. Did you really think they're the only one with pass keys?

Are you allowed to put locks on your suitcases?

To simply answer your question, yes you may have locks on your suitcases when you give them to Princess at the pier and again when you place them in the hallway on the last evening.

Yes...your luggage should ALWAYS be locked if it's out of your possession...just like your car should be locked when you're not in it, or your house should be locked when you're away. That's true but they at least have an audible alarm.

NEVER, EVER leave your bags unlocked!

What does your suit case have for protection? By locking you bags, your advertising that it does have something of value in it. Simply leave it unlocked with nothing valuable in it & you have nothing to lose.....except the whole suitcase itself which you would have lost anyway if someone really wanted it. :rolleyes:

It could be that it wasn't a TSA agent that looked in your case. Did you really think they're the only one with pass keys?
Nope. I'm not that naive. :) On the other hand, my jewelry, camera, electronics, etc. are always in my carry-on. If someone really wants my tops, pants, t-shirts and dirty laundry, go for it! :)

Nope. I'm not that naive. :) On the other hand, my jewelry, camera, electronics, etc. are always in my carry-on. If some really wants my tops, pants, t-shirts and dirty laundry, go for it! :)

That's my outlook. If someone needed clothes that badly to have to root around in my old suitcase they really are in need & should have a go at them. I'd probably come out way ahead in the travel insurance anyway. :)

Archived