Quick review of Sunshine 12/31/16 sailing 8 day southern

kah1829

This was our second cruise, both with Carnival. This review will be honest, the good and the not so good. If you are looking for a Carnival "cheerleader" review, this isn't the review for you!

There were 5 of us, my mom 75, DH and I mid 40s, and two boys 13 and 10. We planned this trip for a long time, it's the first trip after my dad passed away so a little emotional for us all. We flew out on the 26th and stayed in Melbourne FL at the Radisson on the beach. We loved it and our kids had a blast in the ocean.

We were booked in a balcony on lido deck and so was my mom. The cabins were nice, lots of storage and very clean. Our cabin steward did a great job, we didn't have any special requests and kept the room clean but we did give him an extra $25 at the end of the week. Traveling with two kids in one cabin was rough! Our 13 year old is tall so his feet hung off the edge of the bed. Definitely not comfortable for him at all. If we ever take another cruise, I would have to get the boys a room connected to ours and that's pretty expensive. I will not cruise without a balcony.

The Food:

We had anytime dining and ate every dinner in the dining room. We had great service, mostly the food was good. We aren't picky eaters though. It was very easy checking in by the taste bar and going down to level 3. Space wise on the ship it's a great idea that worked very well for us. We had breakfast every day in the buffet, there were lots of choices even for our very picky 10 year old. The fruit was amazing on this trip. It was all very fresh. Lunch we had Guys Burgers, it was good - my husband and mom loved it. For me it was an average burger, nothing special. We also tried Blue Iguana - ok we are from Colorado and have lots of Mexican food so maybe we are too picky but it was NOT good. At all. None of us liked it. The Taste Bar was just food from the buffet brought to a different location. The bad part about the buffet was it was VERY hard to find a table for 5 at breakfast and lunch. We would separate and walk around looking. Super frustrating with a child and elderly person who isn't super mobile.

The Entertainment :

We went to the 70s show, the Rock show and Chris the Flying Scotsman show. They were all good. Chris show was amazing and he made this trip so much fun. He deserves a gigantic raise. The piano bar was really fun, although it was pretty clear if you didn't tip he didn't play your request. Didn't bother us as we always tipped. We spent quite a few evenings here. We also went to several comedy shows and they were all funny. You had to plan and be VERY early to every show or you wouldn't get a seat. More on this later.

The ports were all fun, in Aruba we did the kukukunuku bus tour and beach. It was fun, we were really limited with my mom on what we could do. Curacao we loved and also did a tour/beach excursion through Carnival. Grand Turk the boys did a snorkeling trip and my mom and I went to Margaritaville and just walked around port. All 3 places were beautiful.

Now for the bad part of this trip and cruising for my family - the crowds on this ship were HORRIBLE. Not one sea day could we find any chairs on the lido deck, serenity or anywhere in the sun. It was so frustrating. We all came home as pale as we left ha ha. It was very hard to find places to sit in the buffet area, shows, piano bar, comedy club. Our kids had to wait in line so long for the slides that they didn't even want to go. The basketball court was usually so crowded, they spent a lot of time there "trying" to play basketball. The crowds on this trip are the single reason we probably won't take another cruise. We have done several all inclusives and there is just so much more space that we are going that route from here on out.

Overall we had a great time, we made the best of the crowds but most likely will not do another cruise.

Sent from my D6708 using Forums mobile app

This was our second cruise, both with Carnival. This review will be honest, the good and the not so good. If you are looking for a Carnival "cheerleader" review, this isn't the review for you!

There were 5 of us, my mom 75, DH and I mid 40s, and two boys 13 and 10. We planned this trip for a long time, it's the first trip after my dad passed away so a little emotional for us all. We flew out on the 26th and stayed in Melbourne FL at the Radisson on the beach. We loved it and our kids had a blast in the ocean.

We were booked in a balcony on lido deck and so was my mom. The cabins were nice, lots of storage and very clean. Our cabin steward did a great job, we didn't have any special requests and kept the room clean but we did give him an extra $25 at the end of the week. Traveling with two kids in one cabin was rough! Our 13 year old is tall so his feet hung off the edge of the bed. Definitely not comfortable for him at all. If we ever take another cruise, I would have to get the boys a room connected to ours and that's pretty expensive. I will not cruise without a balcony.

The Food:

We had anytime dining and ate every dinner in the dining room. We had great service, mostly the food was good. We aren't picky eaters though. It was very easy checking in by the taste bar and going down to level 3. Space wise on the ship it's a great idea that worked very well for us. We had breakfast every day in the buffet, there were lots of choices even for our very picky 10 year old. The fruit was amazing on this trip. It was all very fresh. Lunch we had Guys Burgers, it was good - my husband and mom loved it. For me it was an average burger, nothing special. We also tried Blue Iguana - ok we are from Colorado and have lots of Mexican food so maybe we are too picky but it was NOT good. At all. None of us liked it. The Taste Bar was just food from the buffet brought to a different location. The bad part about the buffet was it was VERY hard to find a table for 5 at breakfast and lunch. We would separate and walk around looking. Super frustrating with a child and elderly person who isn't super mobile.

The Entertainment :

We went to the 70s show, the Rock show and Chris the Flying Scotsman show. They were all good. Chris show was amazing and he made this trip so much fun. He deserves a gigantic raise. The piano bar was really fun, although it was pretty clear if you didn't tip he didn't play your request. Didn't bother us as we always tipped. We spent quite a few evenings here. We also went to several comedy shows and they were all funny. You had to plan and be VERY early to every show or you wouldn't get a seat. More on this later.

The ports were all fun, in Aruba we did the kukukunuku bus tour and beach. It was fun, we were really limited with my mom on what we could do. Curacao we loved and also did a tour/beach excursion through Carnival. Grand Turk the boys did a snorkeling trip and my mom and I went to Margaritaville and just walked around port. All 3 places were beautiful.

Now for the bad part of this trip and cruising for my family - the crowds on this ship were HORRIBLE. Not one sea day could we find any chairs on the lido deck, serenity or anywhere in the sun. It was so frustrating. We all came home as pale as we left ha ha. It was very hard to find places to sit in the buffet area, shows, piano bar, comedy club. Our kids had to wait in line so long for the slides that they didn't even want to go. The basketball court was usually so crowded, they spent a lot of time there "trying" to play basketball. The crowds on this trip are the single reason we probably won't take another cruise. We have done several all inclusives and there is just so much more space that we are going that route from here on out.

Overall we had a great time, we made the best of the crowds but most likely will not do another cruise.

The crowding is a reflection of the week you chose to cruise. We have done two holiday cruises now and find that they are noticeably more packed. We were on the Magic the week before your cruise; the ship had 4600 people on it and it was jammed...it felt far more crowded than any time we have been on the Sunshine (spring and fall).

If you do take another cruise, I know it is hard with kids, but stay away from the two weeks around Easter and mid- June thru July, Thanksgiving and the 2 holiday weeks. Also, we put ourselves in a balcony and the kids in an inside so it give us MUCH more space.

But, you also may be one of those people who just don't feel the cruising thing; my husband would go nuts with a week at a land based resort because he isn't a lounge on the beach or pool kinda guy. He likes to get up and "do" so the cruise much better suits our style.

Anyway, happy vacationing!

Thanks for your review. Spring break and holiday cruises are the worst for crowds. You'll find that off season, when families have kids in school, is the least crowded. I think you should give it another shot when you're empty nesters.

For those considering the Sunshine, it is much less crowded in the Havana bar area, more tables for eating. At the beginning of our cruise it was practically empty. Later in the cruise people seem to realize it was there. There is also a good Asian and Italian restaurant back there that are free at lunch time. And the Cuban coffee from the bar is the best coffee I had on the ship. Don't even get me started on their espresso martini!

For those considering the Sunshine, it is much less crowded in the Havana bar area, more tables for eating. At the beginning of our cruise it was practically empty. Later in the cruise people seem to realize it was there. There is also a good Asian and Italian restaurant back there that are free at lunch time. And the Cuban coffee from the bar is the best coffee I had on the ship. Don't even get me started on their espresso martini!

Just curious what the price is for the Cuban coffee.

I agree with the review. Was on the Sunshine the week of December 17 and even then it was very crowded! Had a great time but will not cruise on the Sunshine again UNLESS it goes somewhere I'v never been and I can't get there any other way.

Sorry about the crowding but I would expect that at Christmas. I would assume all-inclusive might be crowded at the same time. Nice that you were able to spend the holidays with your mom, sorry to hear about your dad.

Thanks for sharing.

For those saying that it's always crowded over the holidays - I agree that all ships tend to me more crowded as there are more cabins with 4 people in them - adults with children.

BUT - though I had a good time on the Sunshine - it is not the same "holidays are crowded" scenario you may have experienced on other ships.

I cruised kind of in between Christmas & New Years (12/26 - 12/31) and there didn't seem to be many children - but the OP is not exaggerating about no where to sit on Lido, Deck 10 or Serenity. On all the other ships I've been on, you could easily find a couple of chairs in the shaded areas, but not on the Sunshine.

Again, I liked the Sunshine & had a great time, but I would never argue that this particular ship is not way too crowded. As I said in an earlier post, this would not necessarily stop me from cruising the Sunshine again - and it certainly did not put me off sailing with Carnival - but if this would have been my first cruise I would certainly be like the OP and question whether cruising was such a great idea.

Thanks for your review. We are on the Sunshine beginning 1/21. Got a good deal with a nice itinerary but fear the overcrowding. If it is anywhere near what you describe, will give up Carnival and stick with Celebrity, where the ships never feel overloaded. Will report back on the crowds when schools are in-session.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for this information! I was considering booking on Sunshine during my kids' spring break this coming April. But after reading up on it elsewhere, I learned that many people find this particular ship to feel overcrowded due to layout and lack of seating in several areas. So I was hesitant to book and decided to come on here to see what people were saying about it. This isn't what I wanted to hear because I wanted to book this, but I am grateful for your honesty. I actually like it when there are lots of families when we are on vacation because it means more friends for my kids and the kids clubs are more fun for them....but I am not fond of overcrowding. Thanks again :D

I completely agree about the timing! Unfortunately with our kids schedule for school and sports, along with my work schedule this is the only time we can go.

Another problem was the ship that you chose. The Sunshine has the least public space per passenger of Carnival's fleet, due to the fact that when they refurbished the Destiny, they added more rooms. The Spirit class ships are a lot better experience, in my opinion. Even the Conquest class are better.

It is the only carnival ship that I would never sail again.

ssshhhhhh, don't give away secrets :D