How cold is Breakaway on the Baltic Sea?

how cold is it to sit outside when the Breakaway would be sailing from port to port in the summer Baltic cruises? If the sun is out, is it still too cold to swim or suntan on a lounger?

I understand if it’s cloudy, I can pretty much expect it to be freezing out there. But is there any “fun in the sun” aspect to this cruise atall or is it more geared toward busy travelers who enjoy exploring the ports?

I love the idea of the Breakaway as a destination, and the ports seem exciting...the weather? It’s really unfortunate that some of NCL’s nicest ships are doing the coldest routes this summer :(

You can’t tell for sure as the weather can vary, but whenever we have been in the Baltics it has been warm enough at times for the pools.

Sitting outside is often fine, although you may need some layers at times. It’s certainly not like the Caribbean, but also often not as cold as you may imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did NCL star baltic cruise last year. I was totally bummed when I saw nice new ship following year LOL!

Great cruise, amazing ports. Weather was plenty warm! In fact in St. Petersburg we were dying of heat!

I was amazed how the sea was like glass!

Happy planning

Kerri

We went with SPB and they secured the visa for us. I don't believe you can get off the ship without a visa. Let me clarify that - you can't get through customs and immigration without it.

I read that there are two ways:

- take a guided tour with a registered tour operator who handles visas on behalf of the group. In those cases, you have to stay with the group the whole time, including leaving and arriving back to the ship, and are not allowed to overnight it in a hotel if you want to.

- other option is to buy your own tourist visa thru the regular tourist visa application process. You can then travel freely as per the visa’s conditions. Thing is, there are single and double entry visas, I’m not sure which one i’d need for a two day stop. I read in one place, that since you are entering Russian waters once, you only need the single entry visa, even if you come back to the ship overnight and go back on land the second day.

I’d probably want to come back to the ship to sleep. Does anyone know if there’s a time limit as to how late the ship will let you back on? I’d want to check out the nightlife in Russia.

- take a guided tour with a registered tour operator who handles visas on behalf of the group. In those cases, you have to stay with the group the whole time, including leaving and arriving back to the ship, and are not allowed to overnight it in a hotel if you want to.

- other option is to buy your own tourist visa thru the regular tourist visa application process. You can then travel freely as per the visa’s conditions. Thing is, there are single and double entry visas, I’m not sure which one i’d need for a two day stop. I read in one place, that since you are entering Russian waters once, you only need the single entry visa, even if you come back to the ship overnight and go back on land the second day.

I’d probably want to come back to the ship to sleep. Does anyone know if there’s a time limit as to how late the ship will let you back on? I’d want to check out the nightlife in Russia.

You should post your visa question on the Baltic/Northern Europe sub-forum under PORTS of CALL for Europe, there are a few who have done their own travel on an individual visa. You might get more help there.

We did a night tour with TJ Tours and arrived back to the ship around midnight. I would say we were among the last to arrive. Two long days of sightseeing and a night tour were very tiring but worth every minute of lost sleep.

I appreciate the responses.

Did anyone get their own Russian VISA and do St. Piotrsberg independently, or did everyone here go with guided VISA-free tours?

My wife and I got the Russian Visas and booked a hotel in St. Petersburg for the night. The whole process took about three weeks, start-to-finish. Considering the outrageous cost of the tours, we figure we saved about $700 total and get to do SPB on our own.......eat dinner at a nice restaurant... maybe see a show.

If you need any info on how to obtain the Visa, just ask. It was pretty painless.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife and I got the Russian Visas and booked a hotel in St. Petersburg for the night. The whole process took about three weeks, start-to-finish. Considering the outrageous cost of the tours, we figure we saved about $700 total and get to do SPB on our own.......eat dinner at a nice restaurant... maybe see a show.

If you need any info on how to obtain the Visa, just ask. It was pretty painless.

interesting! But I don't see how you will save $700.... I thought the visas cost about $300 each...plus you'll have to figure cost of transportation, museum fees, meals, etc. In contrast, we are doing the 2-day St Petersburg Grand Tour with Alla Tours which will cost us about $250 each (after discounts) which I think is pretty reasonable for visa, transport, lunches, museum fees, tour guides, etc for 2 days.

interesting! But I don't see how you will save $700.... I thought the visas cost about $300 each...plus you'll have to figure cost of transportation, museum fees, meals, etc. In contrast, we are doing the 2-day St Petersburg Grand Tour with Alla Tours which will cost us about $250 each (after discounts) which I think is pretty reasonable for visa, transport, lunches, museum fees, tour guides, etc for 2 days.

Right?? I booked with SPB tours for 3 of us, two days and one night and I think it came to a little over $900, so don't know how the poster thinks he saved $700 when the two visas alone would be $600. To each his own, but hate to think people would think you could do it cheaper on your own, especially also booking a hotel for the night, perplexed for sure

Edited by njkate

We got a private tour with SPB. We had a 2 day tour that included lunches. One night we stayed for a dinner in the city-the driver waited for us and took us back to the ship. (Highly recommend the Vodka Museum Restaurant) The price of the tour was worth every penny-don't remember exactly how much. Plus the price included meals, transportation and tickets to all the attractions. Our guide got them all. We did not stand in line.

The weather was in the 60's during the day in mid September. It only rained one day. Practically no one was sitting by the pool, but the hot tubs and spa were in use. The Baltic Forum and our Meet and Greet were invaluable sources of information.

From the limited time I was there, St. Petersburg seemed the least friendly town for tourists of the ports we went to. All of the signs are in Russian and most people to not speak English. I am not that adventurous. In all the other ports it was easy to find people who spoke English and a lot of signs were in English. Good luck doing it on your own. +(I suppose this is a topic for another thread)

Edited by Seminole1975

Right?? I booked with SPB tours for 3 of us, two days and one night and I think it came to a little over $900, so don't know how the poster thinks he saved $700 when the two visas alone would be $600. To each his own, but hate to think people would think you could do it cheaper on your own, especially also booking a hotel for the night, perplexed for sure

He's likely comparing to ship-based excursion prices, which are more than double what the reputable guides like Best Guides, TJ, Alla, and SPB charge.