About to book the Veendam Canada and New England May 5th - any advice?

sprockie

We're a family of 4 (two teens) and we're about to finalize a May 5th Sailing on the Veendam - Montreal to Boston. We haven't been on the Veendam in about 20 years, and never in a cooler weather itinerary - always Caribbean. I have a few questions:

1. Is the Lido pool roof generally closed in cooler weather, pool heated etc?

2. Has anyone parked at the Port of Montreal lately? We're looking to park there for the week.

3. Is the best side port or stern for viewing - and can you see much land when travelling from port to port? I have on hold a port side cabin, which will be wonderful while cruising to Quebec City, but wondered if I'd be looking at plain ocean once we go around the Gaspe Penninsula.

Any and all tips and advice for us are appreciated. We're seasoned cruisers - Caribbean only, but this good deal popped up and we've always wanted to do this itinerary.

P.S. We're from Ontario, so we know what the weather will be like.

We took that cruise on the Veendam but it was the Fall Colors cruise and we loved it. I would do it again easily. Yes, they close the glass dome in the cool weather which turns this large viewing area into almost a sun room. Lots of chairs moved around to look out the windows instead of towards the pool when there is scenic viewing. Not sure any side of the ship is better than the other, as most of it will be open sea viewing after you leave the St Lawrence sea way.

Highlights for us: the poutine at Chez Aston and just walking around in Quebec, anywhere in Prince Edwards Island and House of Green Gables, Fort Louisburg and/or the Mine tour in Sydney, Bar Harbor walk to the near by island when the tide is out and anything in the surrounding area, that great shoe store in (???), anything in Halifax and the trip to Luneberg, The hits keep coming on this cruise. But it may take a bit more historical research for this area to come alive compared to just being there in the sand and sun in the Caribbean.

We are sailing this same route in early June and have been wondering what weather to expect. Maybe you can help me since you are a local? I was planning on packing mostly long sleeved tshirts, pants, a polar fleece jacket, with a few short sleeved tops and one pair of shorts. What would you suggest?

We are sailing this same route in early June and have been wondering what weather to expect. Maybe you can help me since you are a local? I was planning on packing mostly long sleeved tshirts, pants, a polar fleece jacket, with a few short sleeved tops and one pair of shorts. What would you suggest?

June is spectacular weather. I'd never wear polar fleece or pants in June. I am packing capris and short sleeved sleeve for may 5th. I am bringing a few zipped hoodies and a windbreaker.

We are looking at the 7-day cruise Boston/Bermuda the week of May 12. When docked in Hamilton, we need to know, port or starboard side for sun in the morning.

While its not guaranteed, odds are it will be starboard side towards the pier. But again, not guaranteed.

We did Voyage of the Vikings on the Veendam, and yes, they close the top. Very nice. We'd had the same captain the last two times on the Veendam and he is great. Sailed through an ice field near Greenland and he came on and said it was the most challenging and wonderful day of his career. You are in good hands. Enjoy!

So I took the leap and booked our cruise. I got a great rate on the Canadian Super Sale -kids are sailing free. It's the port charges that are so high because our taxes are so high. We considered doing a land trip this summer to the east coast, but we're very happy to be cruising around the east coast instead. We'll rent a car in Sydney and drive the Cabot Trail. I haven't been east in 35 years, so it will be great. Veendam was our very first cruise ship in 2000. We're happy to be sailing on her again! Quebec City is absolutely beautiful and full of history. I will be in search of the best lobster roll I can find once we hit the eastern provinces!

We are parking at the airport and taking a cab to the port (flat rate of $40). When we fly back from Boston, our vehicle will be ready and waiting there.

We're a family of 4 (two teens) and we're about to finalize a May 5th Sailing on the Veendam - Montreal to Boston. We haven't been on the Veendam in about 20 years, and never in a cooler weather itinerary - always Caribbean. I have a few questions:

2. Has anyone parked at the Port of Montreal lately? We're looking to park there for the week.

3. Is the best side port or stern for viewing - and can you see much land when travelling from port to port? I have on hold a port side cabin, which will be wonderful while cruising to Quebec City, but wondered if I'd be looking at plain ocean once we go around the Gaspe Penninsula.

Any and all tips and advice for us are appreciated. We're seasoned cruisers - Caribbean only, but this good deal popped up and we've always wanted to do this itinerary.

That is the exact cruise we took last May. You will have great views from both sides of the ship the evening you leave Montreal and in the morning as you approach Quebec City. We enjoy the stern for viewing. It's a lovely itinerary.

That is the exact cruise we took last May. You will have great views from both sides of the ship the evening you leave Montreal and in the morning as you approach Quebec City. We enjoy the stern for viewing. It's a lovely itinerary.

Thats good news. We're on main deck, last cabin in the stern, port side. I am hoping I can slip out a door in the stern for pictures on main deck.

The month of May can be very cold in the Saint Lawrence River (mean temp about 6 degree Celsius). In another life, I worked on a tourist catamaran (whale watching) and we had snow in June ! The roof of the Lido will be closed most of the time.

The port of Montreal extends for several kilometers. What parking are you talking about exactly?

For the Gaspe peninsula the action tend to be on the port side.

Holacanada from Quebec City

We’re on the July 7th Boston to Montreal. We plan on arriving in Boston on July 4, can’t wait to see the fireworks! This will be the first time that we’ve been to any of these areas, really looking forward to seeing something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While its not guaranteed, odds are it will be starboard side towards the pier. But again, not guaranteed.

Nearly always starboard in Hamilton because they can alternate more easily in Boston for cleaning. But like someone has already said- it can be changed last minute because of a number or different factors.

We’re on the July 7th Boston to Montreal. We plan on arriving in Boston on July 4, can’t wait to see the fireworks! This will be the first time that we’ve been to any of these areas, really looking forward to seeing something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Boston, a good place to be around the 4th of July. Weather is mostly great, good celebratory crowds, the cruise terminal is an easy cab ride from downtown, and some of the finest restaurants on the east coast. Our favorite is Legal Seafoods in the seaport area.

we are on the Aug 18 Boston to Montreal Sailing on the Veendam - we are new to HAL, but many cruises on both NCL and CCL. Can't wait to try something new - planning on a few days in Canada post cruise (Montreal I think) any suggestions folks - we will have our Mom's 91 and 83 in tow also....

Ours too! Also our first HAL Cruise, so I have lots of things to investigate! I've never booked a cruise this close to sailing before so I feel so behind in my research[emoji50]

Sent from my LG-H810 using Forums mobile app

We booked back in October. I hope you enjoy HAL. We really love them, the beautiful ships, fresh flowers and smiling staff. This is our first time on one of their smaller ships. So I am excited to see the differences.