NCL STAR Panama Canal Cruise Review: 1/4 - 1/19

dongordon

Got off the STAR a few days ago and had to get over my "post cruise depression syndrome" before writing this review! :)

Let me sum up my cruise in one word....WOW!!!

It was one of the best cruises I have ever been on.

We cruised from Los Angeles to Miami because we preferred the long air trip going from NY than coming back.

As far as all of you who are worrying about the condition of the STAR before going under its refurbishment in March, don't worry. It is in fine condition although a bit "tired" in some places.....but still in great shape.

As far as the STAR crew, they are the friendliest and best crew I have ever encountered on any of the cruises I have been on.

FOOD:

I had the UDP and had my dinners at all the specialty restaurants except Tappanyaki and Ginza, although I did have lunch at Ginza and enjoyed it.

I did not eat in any of the main dining rooms, so I cannot comment on the food there, but my fellow cruise passengers all liked it and I did not hear one complaint.

The buffet (Market Cafe) had good food as well although I only had breakfast and lunch there several times and there were plenty of tasty choices.

The Outdoor Grill by the OASIS pool was a good choice as well for lunch and the grilled salmon I had one day was fantastic!

All the specialty restaurants were great.

The service was unbelievable and if you had to make a show, they kept the food coming. Everyone was so friendly and accomodating. Give yourself at least an hour for dinner.

My two favorites were Le Bistro and La Cucina with a close third for Cagney's.

DRINKS:

My two favorite watering holes were Gatsby's and the Bier Garten (where I enjoyed my cigars outdoors) I had 95% of my drinks prepared in these two places.

BTW, I had the UDP and we truly got our money's worth.

These two bar/lounges had the best barteneders:

Gatsby's: Danny and Jelica

They make the best of any type drink you ordered, but their martinis were the best I have ever had on any ship.

If you want to try a great "shooter" ask for the "Nutcracker"....Vodka and Frangelico, but sip it and enjoy. :)

Bier Garten: Toya

He had a cigar cutter, lighter and cigar ash tray ready for me each visit and picked out the best beers to enjoy with my cigars during the day and I had my usual bourbon on the rocks or brandy in the evening.

PORTS:

Depending on what you did at each port and your interests, determines whether you enjoyed the ports.

We loved Cabo, Puerto Vallarta (we did the ship's Las Caletes Excursion there...it was beautiful and fantastic!), and we went to a Beaches in Ocho Rios on a day pass because it was the old Playboy Hotel where we went for our Honeymoon in 1971. Most of it is new, but we saw the dining room here we enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners back then.

The rest of the resort is beautiful and we really enjoyed our day there.

Panama Canal"

WOW! What a fantastic experience.

I was on deck at 5:00 AM and watched as we approched the canal and the beautiful Panama City skyline.

We had an aft facing cabin and after watching the first set of locks from the front of the ship, I spent the rest of the journey from my cabin/balcony and it was much cooler there and the views spectacular. I would recommend the aft-facing cabin for this cruise and you will really get your money's worh! :D

It really gets hot and one passenger passed out.

The narrative on the ship's loud speaker was great and he provided so many wonderful interesting facts throughout our 8 hour journey.

He also did a Panama Canal presentation and Q & A the day before the Canal Transit and after we went through the canal that day.

Everyone also received a certificate and of course there were many souveniers and T-Shirts for sale.

Our Roll Call organizer (Tom) put together many private excursions for the different ports and did a fantastic job.

Speaking of our CC Roll Call, it was great seeing many of the of our new friends throughout the cruise. Besides the M & G, we had a Get-Together Dinner one night and a Gift Exchange one morning that added to getting to know everyone so much better.

We had so many great people on our roll call and it was so nice seeing them throughout the 15 day cruise.

ENTERTAINMENT:

I saw a several shows....Band on the Run, Paradis and Oh What a Night - twice (Four Seasons Tribute) were my favorites and Gabby and Sebastian were fantastic lounge performers and besides me, they had a huge following onboard and there were crowds wherever they performed,

I know all cruises have some negatives, but I look at my cruise as a whole and I have never been on a cruise that I have not enjoyed and had a great time. :)

This was one of my favorite cruises for all of the above reasons

BUT, if I were nit-picky....here would be my negatives:

-I like the old Spinnaker Lounge in the front with a view....missed it.

-The "White Hot Party" is usually my favorite night on the ship and it was disappointing for me on the cruise. There were many passengers onboard that grew up in the 60's and 70's and in other NCL White Hot Parties, they did a countdown from the 60's through the present with music from the various decades. They had quite a few modern line dance venues and many of the passengers could not get into the party mode because they did not know it.

-Also missing was the QUEST - Adult Scavenger Hunt that was so much fun on my previous cruises with NCL held in the Spinnaker lounge. That was so much fun to participate with friends from the cruise.

-I enjoy the Great Outdoors so much on the Jewel type ships and am back on the GEM next January.

-Hate flying and love my cruises out of NYC

-We love beaches and the Caribbean is so much more beautiful that the Mexican beaches

Overall...a great cruise experience and those who are planning to take this cruise in the future, IMHO will have a fantastic time

(Linda...my review is now "delivered" as promised to you before I left! :D)

BTW....to get over my "Post Cruise Depression Syndrome" (PCDS), I booked the GEM out of NYC on January 22, 2016.....anyone want to join me! :D

Questions anyone?

Don

Edited by dongordon

Great review dongordon, it sounds like you had as much fun on the Star as we did on our canal cruise in November. The crew of the Star really is fantastic.

I never experienced PCDS after a cruise until we returned from our Panama Canal cruise. That's when it hit us big time. My wife and I have dealt with the PCDS by booking a cruise out of New Orleans on the Dawn next month. Since the Dawn is the sister ship of the Star it will be interesting to see what the differences are.

Again, great review and thanks for taking the time to write it.

Got off the STAR a few days ago and had to get over my "post cruise depression syndrome" before writing this review! :)

We cruised from Los Angeles to Miami because we preferred the long air trip going from NY than coming back.

As far as all of you who are worrying about the condition of the STAR before going under its refurbishment in March, don't worry. It is in fine condition although a bit "tired" in some places.....but still in great shape.

As far as the STAR crew, they are the friendliest and best crew I have ever encountered on any of the cruises I have been on.

FOOD:

I had the UDP and had my dinners at all the specialty restaurants except Tappanyaki and Ginza, although I did have lunch at Ginza and enjoyed it.

I did not eat in any of the main dining rooms, so I cannot comment on the food there, but my fellow cruise passengers all liked it and I did not hear one complaint.

The buffet (Market Cafe) had good food as well although I only had breakfast and lunch there several times and there were plenty of tasty choices.

The Outdoor Grill by the OASIS pool was a good choice as well for lunch and the grilled salmon I had one day was fantastic!

The service was unbelievable and if you had to make a show, they kept the food coming. Everyone was so friendly and accomodating. Give yourself at least an hour for dinner.

DRINKS:

My two favorite watering holes were Gatsby's and the Bier Garten (where I enjoyed my cigars outdoors) I had 95% of my drinks prepared in these two places.

They make the best of any type drink you ordered, but their martinis were the best I have ever had on any ship.

If you want to try a great "shooter" ask for the "Nutcracker"....Vodka and Frangelico, but sip it and enjoy. :)

He had a cigar cutter, lighter and cigar ash tray ready for me each visit and picked out the best beers to enjoy with my cigars during the day and I had my usual bourbon on the rocks or brandy in the evening.

PORTS:

Depending on what you did at each port and your interests, determines whether you enjoyed the ports.

We loved Cabo, Puerto Vallarta (we did the ship's Las Caletes Excursion there...it was beautiful and fantastic!), and we went to a Beaches in Ocho Rios on a day pass because it was the old Playboy Hotel where we went for our Honeymoon in 1971. Most of it is new, but we saw the dining room here we enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners back then.

Panama Canal"

I was on deck at 5:00 AM and watched as we approched the canal and the beautiful Panama City skyline.

We had an aft facing cabin and after watching the first set of locks from the front of the ship, I spent the rest of the journey from my cabin/balcony and it was much cooler there and the views spectacular. I would recommend the aft-facing cabin for this cruise and you will really get your money's worh! :D

The narrative on the ship's loud speaker was great and he provided so many wonderful interesting facts throughout our 8 hour journey.

He also did a Panama Canal presentation and Q & A the day before the Canal Transit and after we went through the canal that day.

Everyone also received a certificate and of course there were many souveniers and T-Shirts for sale.

Our Roll Call organizer (Tom) put together many private excursions for the different ports and did a fantastic job.

Speaking of our CC Roll Call, it was great seeing many of the of our new friends throughout the cruise. Besides the M & G, we had a Get-Together Dinner one night and a Gift Exchange one morning that added to getting to know everyone so much better.

We had so many great people on our roll call and it was so nice seeing them throughout the 15 day cruise.

ENTERTAINMENT:

I saw a several shows....Band on the Run, Paradis and Oh What a Night - twice (Four Seasons Tribute) were my favorites and Gabby and Sebastian were fantastic lounge performers and besides me, they had a huge following onboard and there were crowds wherever they performed,

I know all cruises have some negatives, but I look at my cruise as a whole and I have never been on a cruise that I have not enjoyed and had a great time. :)

-The "White Hot Party" is usually my favorite night on the ship and it was disappointing for me on the cruise. There were many passengers onboard that grew up in the 60's and 70's and in other NCL White Hot Parties, they did a countdown from the 60's through the present with music from the various decades. They had quite a few modern line dance venues and many of the passengers could not get into the party mode because they did not know it.

-Also missing was the QUEST - Adult Scavenger Hunt that was so much fun on my previous cruises with NCL held in the Spinnaker lounge. That was so much fun to participate with friends from the cruise.

-I enjoy the Great Outdoors so much on the Jewel type ships and am back on the GEM next January.

-We love beaches and the Caribbean is so much more beautiful that the Mexican beaches

Overall...a great cruise experience and those who are planning to take this cruise in the future, IMHO will have a fantastic time

BTW....to get over my "Post Cruise Depression Syndrome" (PCDS), I booked the GEM out of NYC on January 22, 2016.....anyone want to join me! :D

Questions anyone?

Don

Don,

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Star on the 16th of Feb out of Miami for a transit of the Panama Canal. Looking forward to it and our first cruse on NCL, so your review has been very timely.

Vic

Panama Canal"

We had an aft facing cabin and after watching the first set of locks from the front of the ship, I spent the rest of the journey from my cabin/balcony and it was much cooler there and the views spectacular. I would recommend the aft-facing cabin for this cruise and you will really get your money's worh!

Questions anyone?

Don

I was on the Star in 2005 and went through the Panama Canal in 2008 the Star's sister ship, the Jade.

Your review was great except for your recommendation for an aft facing balcony. The best way to see the Panama Canal is in a forward facing balcony ...

pidd-friendsenjoyingtheview_zpsa090c930.jpg

Jade-PC2.jpg

Jade-PC3.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

piat-MiafloresLocks_zps44f02795.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

Cuiser2 Quote:

"I was on the Star in 2005 and went through the Panama Canal in 2008 the Star's sister ship, the Jade.

Your review was great except for your recommendation for an aft facing balcony. The best way to see the Panama Canal is in a forward facing balcony ..."

I would differ with you in only that both views are from different perspectives and both provided great views.

As I said, I had the front view on the outside deck (as shown in your photos) and watched the first entrance to the locks as you did and left at 9:00 AM to go to my cabin. The heat during the rest of the day is very uncomfortable.

Because my Aft-Facing Balcony Suite had sliding doors, I set up two chairs under the air conditioning vent where the sliding doors are and enjoyed the rest of the transit in complete comfort. Going out on the balcony for a better view when needed.

We also watched the front view of the transit through the large Flat Screen TV in our cabin which gave us both Front and Aft views at the same time along with the narrative.

I have had those front balcony suites on a previous cruise and when the ship is cruising, the wind factor is an issue and often the use of the balcony is a problem. There is a large window, but each time you want to go out to the balcony, you must exit from the door with the "submarine-type" closing hatch. Also, at nights, I had to close the curtains because the lights from my cabin affected the bridge. Not sure if it is the same on the STAR as it was on the Spirit.

I am sure both views are great wherever you are (Front or Aft), but I am an

"Aft - Lover!" :D

Thanks for you comments and happy cruising. :)

Don

Thanks for your review. We are on the Star for the 3rd time this May. Did the officers or crew share any details about what is to change during the dry dock?

I believe the crew said that there was going to be changes in Moderno and the Blue Lagoon area, but I honestly wasn't listening too carefully since I usually sail out of NYC and did not expect to cruise on the STAR again.

One of the small issues I had with Moderno (on deck 8) was that it is not a separate dining room area and people are constantly walking through the area where the salad bar was located.

We found that a bit unappealing, but the food was very good there.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review was to eat in the "Wine Cellar" of Le Bistro where you can liston to the music of the performers of the evening (hopefully Gabby and Sebastian)....they were the best. :)

This area (Wine Cellar) I believe it was mentioned will be eliminated in the refurbishment which I believe would be a mistake...we always reserved our table there when dining in Le Bistro.

Don

Great review dongordon, it sounds like you had as much fun on the Star as we did on our canal cruise in November. The crew of the Star really is fantastic.

I never experienced PCDS after a cruise until we returned from our Panama Canal cruise. That's when it hit us big time. My wife and I have dealt with the PCDS by booking a cruise out of New Orleans on the Dawn next month. Since the Dawn is the sister ship of the Star it will be interesting to see what the differences are.

Again, great review and thanks for taking the time to write it.

Thanks Oakman....

No one can do a cruise review of the Panama Canal as well as you did with all the photos.

It really helped us during the planning for our cruise.

I just tried to provide my personal opinions and experiences.

And Yes, we both booked our future cruises upon return.

Great minds think alike!! :D

Don

Don,

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Star on the 16th of Feb out of Miami for a transit of the Panama Canal. Looking forward to it and our first cruse on NCL, so your review has been very timely.

Vic

Vic....

Glad you enjoyed the review....you must read Oakman's review before you go, his is fantastic!

You will love this cruise and NCL, but it will set a high standard for future NCL cruises.

Enjoy your cruise in February....good time to get away! :)

Don

FOOD:

DRINKS:

PORTS:

Panama Canal"

ENTERTAINMENT:

Questions anyone?

Don[/QUOT

Thanks so much for your great review but can you tell me about debarkation in Miami. We have a 12:00 flight out of Fort Lauderdale and will be walking off with our luggage. Will we make the flight??????????????

FOOD:

DRINKS:

PORTS:

Panama Canal"

ENTERTAINMENT:

Questions anyone?

Don[/QUOT

Thanks so much for your great review but can you tell me about debarkation in Miami. We have a 12:00 flight out of Fort Lauderdale and will be walking off with our luggage. Will we make the flight??????????????

We left the ship at 9:30 AM (got on line on deck 7) when our color was called and had a NCL Bus transfer to the airport. I believe there were earlier colors with air reservations before us getting on the NCL buses.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 1:09 PM. We did curbside check in and we were eating lunch in the airport at 11:30 AM.

I believe walk off with luggage was at 8:00 AM and that should give you enough time to get there.

Don

Cuiser2 Quote:

"I was on the Star in 2005 and went through the Panama Canal in 2008 the Star's sister ship, the Jade.

Your review was great except for your recommendation for an aft facing balcony. The best way to see the Panama Canal is in a forward facing balcony ..."

I would differ with you in only that both views are from different perspectives and both provided great views.

As I said, I had the front view on the outside deck (as shown in your photos) and watched the first entrance to the locks as you did and left at 9:00 AM to go to my cabin. The heat during the rest of the day is very uncomfortable.

Because my Aft-Facing Balcony Suite had sliding doors, I set up two chairs under the air conditioning vent where the sliding doors are and enjoyed the rest of the transit in complete comfort. Going out on the balcony for a better view when needed.

We also watched the front view of the transit through the large Flat Screen TV in our cabin which gave us both Front and Aft views at the same time along with the narrative.

I have had those front balcony suites on a previous cruise and when the ship is cruising, the wind factor is an issue and often the use of the balcony is a problem. There is a large window, but each time you want to go out to the balcony, you must exit from the door with the "submarine-type" closing hatch. Also, at nights, I had to close the curtains because the lights from my cabin affected the bridge. Not sure if it is the same on the STAR as it was on the Spirit.

I am sure both views are great wherever you are (Front or Aft), but I am an

"Aft - Lover!" :D

Thanks for you comments and happy cruising. :)

Don

I have a few comments.

1) I had a front row view that I would not lose if I got hungry or needed to take a bathroom break.

2) That balcony was about 18 feet deep and there is a six foot overhang, so finding shade was no problem.

3) If you are under the overhang the wind is not a factor. I spend half a day at sea on one of the lounges and did not need a paper weight to keep the papers on the table from flying away. Yes, up near the rail the wind can be a problem.

4) I also spend the entire transit with my door open. In fact, whenever I was on the balcony (even on sea days), if I was outside, I left the metal door open.

5) If you want to light up the cabin at night, just close the drapes. Otherwise, I would just stand in the doorway and make sure I was not casting a shadow. I as a result, I was never asked to dim my lights.

6) You can see how big the balcony is by looking at the picture of the family of five that I invited over for the Panama Canal crossing. They hardly take up any room on that large balcony.

7) I really loved that balcony and the next time I go through the Panama Canal I'll get another forward facing balcony.

Edited by Cuizer2

I made it to an 11:30am flight by departing with the second group (first group after the group carrying their own luggage). However, anything can hold up debarkation, thus, booking an early flight has risks.

I have a few comments.

1) I had a front row view that I would not lose if I got hungry or needed to take a bathroom break.

2) That balcony was about 18 feet deep and there is a six foot overhang, so finding shade was no problem.

3) If you are under the overhang the wind is not a factor. I spend half a day at sea on one of the lounges and did not need a paper weight to keep the papers on the table from flying away. Yes, up near the rail the wind can be a problem.

4) I also spend the entire transit with my door open. In fact, whenever I was on the balcony (even on sea days), if I was outside, I left the metal door open.

5) If you want to light up the cabin at night, just close the drapes. Otherwise, I would just stand in the doorway and make sure I was not casting a shadow. I as a result, I was never asked to dim my lights.

6) I was on the Star in 2005. I was on the Jade in 2008 when I did my full transit of the Panama Canal.

7) You can see how big the balcony is by looking at the picture of the family of five that I invited over for the Panama Canal crossing. They hardly take up any room on that large balcony.

8) I really loved that balcony and the next time I go through the Panama Canal I'll get another forward facing balcony.

Hey Cuizer...

Glad we both enjoyed our cabins!! :D

Happy Cruising!

Don

We left the ship at 9:30 AM (got on line on deck 7) when our color was called and had a NCL Bus transfer to the airport. I believe there were earlier colors with air reservations before us getting on the NCL buses.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 1:09 PM. We did curbside check in and we were eating lunch in the airport at 11:30 AM.

I believe walk off with luggage was at 8:00 AM and that should give you enough time to get there.

Don

Thanks so much for your reply you have set my mind at ease.

Thanks for the review! We will be taking the Star out of Tampa in November and I can't wait! Haven't been on her since 2005 and I am glad to see she is still with a top notch crew :)

Edited by cliffd64

Don --

Big hug and welcome back! I am glad you had a great time. Big thanks for the "drink" portion! LOL

Linda

Thanks Linda and hugs back at you.

I hope Danny and Jelica are both on your cruise at Gatsby's.

Tell them you know Don and his DW Barbara. He will know us. We became close friends since Gatsby's was our hangout on the cruise. :D

Be sure to try the Espresso, Chocolate and French Kiss Martinis and the Nutcracker....they make that as a martini as well as a shooter.

Don

Don,

I will be sure to mention you and Barbara! We will definitely be going to Gatsby's especially for the Martini tasting. I am going to pass on the chocolate martini since I already know it is not my cup of "vodka" lol

Linda

Yes Linda....I agree.

It is a bit too sweet. I only had it once, but the Espresso was my drink of choice and my DW Barbara went with the French Kiss each night.

We introduced it to many people we met at Gatsby's and many of the men liked the Espresso and the ladies the French Kiss. :).

Whatever your cup of "vodka"....enjoy! :)

Don

FOOD:

DRINKS:

PORTS:

Panama Canal"

ENTERTAINMENT:

Questions anyone?

Don

What restaurants are open when we embark?Is the Blue lagoon open?

What restaurants are open when we embark?Is the Blue lagoon open?

I do not believe so.....

We were fortunate to be in a suite and had lunch in Cagney's.

Versailles and the Market Cafe (Buffet) were open for lunch.

Don

Ok Thanks

What part of Long Island are you from?

I lived in Garden City for about 35 years.....now we have downsized to a two bedroom apartment in Hempstead one block away from Garden City.

Three of my daughters are now married (one has a home in Garden City) and my fourth who just graduated college lives with us.

Where are you from?

Don