Tender Port List

*Miss G*

The problem with this list, which has been discussed here previously, is that it isn't very accurate. For example, Charlottetown, P.E.I., can dock only one ship and others in port on the same day must tender, but it's not listed. I tendered there on a HAL cruise in 2015, and the port authority's schedule shows lots of days this year with multiple ships in port.

For my February 2019 cruise on the Koningsdam, Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis is listed as a tender port. It may be due to the ship's larger size.

Celebrity's Solstice Class ships--about the same size--have docked at St. Kitts for years... I suspect that tendering from Koningsdam on your cruise is more a matter of the number of ships scheduled in port that day...

Some of us were talking about the lack of information on the tender ports so I thought I would post this list I found on Holland America. It doesn't not show how current it is so YMMV.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/Accessibility/port-tender-list.pdf#page4

Argh! Thanks autocorrect. :mad:

The problem with this list, which has been discussed here previously, is that it isn't very accurate. For example, Charlottetown, P.E.I., can dock only one ship and others in port on the same day must tender, but it's not listed. I tendered there on a HAL cruise in 2015, and the port authority's schedule shows lots of days this year with multiple ships in port.

Yes, I noticed the same issue with another port we have coming up. Three ships in port but only one can dock. Since the other ships are not HAL ships, and are much smaller, I am guessing that the HAL ship will dock and leave the others to tender. (Since this is a HAL list and not an every-ship-in-port list.) I will find out for sure when we get there.

P.S. I apologize for posting something which has been discussed previously.

Celebrity's Solstice Class ships--about the same size--have docked at St. Kitts for years... I suspect that tendering from Koningsdam on your cruise is more a matter of the number of ships scheduled in port that day...

Thanks. cruisemapper.com shows Carnival Conquest (0700-1700), Koningsdam (0800-1700) and Costa Pacifica (1300-2100) plus Sea Dream I

Yes, I noticed the same issue with another port we have coming up. Three ships in port but only one can dock. Since the other ships are not HAL ships, and are much smaller, I am guessing that the HAL ship will dock and leave the others to tender. (Since this is a HAL list and not an every-ship-in-port list.) I will find out for sure when we get there.

Bolding is mine.

Please don't apologize for providing helpful information.

This thread could be even more helpful if others shared their tender information. (Similar to the Piano Bar thread) and would be a huge benefit to many.

Thanks for starting it :)

Oh dear, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound negative. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that people could search for the other threads if they wanted more information that might not appear here. Anyway, I'm the one who should apologize to you for being tone deaf.

A pretty good list but there are few ports listed where I've docked. I've never tendered in San Juan so I don't know how that got on the list. Some ports it depends on if another ship(s) have the piers tied up. Usually the biggest ship gets the pier if it will fit or the ship that makes regularly scheduled calls on the port.

Oh dear, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound negative. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that people could search for the other threads if they wanted more information that might not appear here. Anyway, I'm the one who should apologize to you for being tone deaf.

No worries! Thanks Kazu and Fouremco. Of course, HAL could make this thread moot if they would return the port notations to the itinerary list.... when/if they return the itinerary list, that is. ;p

Icy Strait Point (Alaska) has had a dock for the past couple of years. Since only one ship is in port at a time, the HAL ship should be using the dock when it arrives.

The schedule for this summer indicates many days when there are two ships in port, so on this one HAL has it right. Well, almost right. It would improve the list if they were to indicate which ports are always tender and those ones which, like Icy Strait Point, may require tendering depending on the port load.

The schedule for this summer indicates many days when there are two ships in port, so on this one HAL has it right. Well, almost right. It would improve the list if they were to indicate which ports are always tender and those ones which, like Icy Strait Point, may require tendering depending on the port load.

Really, we have been to Icy Strait numerous times and there has never been more than one ship in port. IS is so small I am not sure I would like to be there if there were more than one ship in port.

Icy Strait Point has had a dock for several years now, so ships don't need to tender any more.

Sitka is now using a freight dock for cruise ships (this is the second year), so two cruise ships don't have to tender there.

In both cases HAL still shows them as tender ports, while the CLAA (Cruise Line Association Alaska) shows them as docked ports. The CLAA produces a schedule each winter for the upcoming cruise season that shows which ships are in each port, their berth assignments (or tender assignments), and how long the ship will be in port.

Really, we have been to Icy Strait numerous times and there has never been more than one ship in port. IS is so small I am not sure I would like to be there if there were more than one ship in port.

For 2018, my quick count of the CLAA listing has the Noordam visiting Icy Strait once and the Zaandam eleven times. Only once will there be another cruise ship in port, the Seabourn Sojurn along with the Zaandam on July 21, but there are at least 15 occasions when two non-HAL ships will be in port together. For HAL, your experience is pretty typical, but there are exceptions.