Condor Airlines

NJ Fred

On May 20, 2012, most of the flights offered from Amsterdam to Ft. Lauderdale show a connection in Frankfurt. Plenty of time with more than three hours to change from Lufthansa to Condor.

I read some shoddy reviews of Condor Airlines. Yet, their price is considerably lower than other carriers and their safety record is good.

Has anyone flown with Condor?

If so, what were your experiences/opinions?

Many thanks.

Condor has been around since the mid-1950s, based in Frankfurt and hubbed at Frankfurt with various focus cities around Germany. However, they are not as large as Lufthansa, so many people outside of Europe haven't heard of them. They were actually part of Lufthansa, as a subsidiary airline, until earlier in the 2000s when they became part of the Thomas Cook Group. I believe service started to go down a bit after this.

They're largely (really, completely) based around the leisure market, which is lower yielding than the business market. Because of this, they have to offer lower prices, which is why service may lack a bit compared to other airlines (however, like all airlines, experiences can either be great or bad).

I flew them once, short haul within Europe, in the pre-Thomas Cook days (Germany to coastal Turkey). They're a fine airlines - more of less ontime, friendly enough staff, and safety was never in question. I have spoken to several people who have flown them in recent years and they say the customer service isn't quite what it used to be, but still isn't terrible by any means. I would have no qualms to taking them if the opportunity presented itself again.

I must say, Condor flies (seasonally) one of the most interesting long-haul routes in the world - Frankfurt to Fairbanks!

Condor has been around since the mid-1950s, based in Frankfurt and hubbed at Frankfurt with various focus cities around Germany. However, they are not as large as Lufthansa, so many people outside of Europe haven't heard of them. They were actually part of Lufthansa, as a subsidiary airline, until earlier in the 2000s when they became part of the Thomas Cook Group. I believe service started to go down a bit after this.

They're largely (really, completely) based around the leisure market, which is lower yielding than the business market. Because of this, they have to offer lower prices, which is why service may lack a bit compared to other airlines (however, like all airlines, experiences can either be great or bad).

I flew them once, short haul within Europe, in the pre-Thomas Cook days (Germany to coastal Turkey). They're a fine airlines - more of less ontime, friendly enough staff, and safety was never in question. I have spoken to several people who have flown them in recent years and they say the customer service isn't quite what it used to be, but still isn't terrible by any means. I would have no qualms to taking them if the opportunity presented itself again.

I must say, Condor flies (seasonally) one of the most interesting long-haul routes in the world - Frankfurt to Fairbanks!

Actually it's FRA-YXY-FAI isn't it?

Thank you for your perspectives and information, especially as concerns safety.

Just made our reservations. Part of the process was my phoning Condor's reservations center in Germany.

I am a frequent business flyer in the USA. Let me tell you, some American-flagged carriers could learn from the Condor agent whom I interacted with. She was knowledgeable, polite and truly upbeat.

Happy 2012 to all.

• 4 years later...

Has anyone flown Condor Air recently? I am looking to fly to Europe from the USA.

Can anyone tell me what their Business Class is like; some comparisons to other airlines would be helpful? Or maybe just a description on how the airline does Business class.

My thanks.

Safe cruising all!!! :)

Try the Condor website, Seat Guru, and cabin photos on Airliners.net.

I did look at their website and have seen some cabin photos; they really don't tell the story as well as someone who has flown with them. They are after all marketing products and don't really tell nuances. But I do realize everyone has their own ideas on what is good and/or not good.

I'll try Seat Guru, though I have not found that to be very accurate either; I have not used Airliners.net so I'll give it a go.

Thanks FlyerTalker!!!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We flew Condor last year returning from Recife, Brazil to Frankfurt after our TA. It is a standard economy product like most average airlines. Nothing fancy, but great value considering what we paid. AND they offer no-hassle one-way tickets.

Edited by UKBayern