Junior Suite on the Sensation- not worth the money

allison0523

Ok. So I want to post this so other people don't spend the extra money for a "Suite" like we did and end up getting nothing different than a balcony with "priority" boarding, which by the way, didn't really matter anyways. We were booked on the Sensation earlier this month for a guaranteed inside stateroom for a little over $200 total per person. There were 2 adults and a child. Then, the upsell/upgrade fairy calls us trying to upgrade us to the Owner's suite or a Junior Suite. We had booked our flight pretty tight going home and I didn't realize MCO was 40 miles from the pier. So, now I am starting to get a little nervous that we might miss our flight and priority boarding/disembarking sounds pretty good. I am not platinum, so that means we need a suite. I compare the price of the "suite" with what they are going for on similar sailings and feel it is a good deal. Plus, how much would it cost us if we miss our flight? So, we book a junior suite. I look up some information online and now I am wondering if this was the right thing. But, hey, let's just roll with it. We board the ship fast, but seeing as there was no line anyways, the priority boarding didn't really matter. Oh well, our room is ready. We go to our room, which is conveniently located on the verandah deck. When we entered our room, I was disappointed about the size of the room, the size of the bathroom, the width of the balcony, the fact that the balcony overlooked a walkway and the fact that the couch needed to be replaced because the pleather (or whatever it was) was cracked and damaged. I did not think this room resembled a Suite in any way. We were in V6. Thankfully, we did not pay the $1000 more that I have seen them listed for. Still, why call this a suite? I am pretty sure this room was the same size or smaller than their regular balcony cabins. The only difference was the deck (ok, so charge a little more) and the priority boarding. Oh yeah, and some bathrooms that we didn't use anyways. You don't even have a private balcony in these rooms. There is a walkway below. People can stare up at you when you are out there. Besides, there is a open front deck out the exit door that you can go to. And as far as disembarking the ship, we weren't even given priority information or tags. We just packed our stuff up and when people starting exiting the boat, we told the lady we were supposed to be in this group (which we were) and left. We were out front by 0730 and made our flight no problem. We had a great time on this cruise, despite the disappointment in the room. I just don't think it's right that Carnival sells these as Suites when they are no different (or maybe worse) than a regular balcony room. Save your money for something like drinks or excursions.

59560_10151205492292124_695437976_n.jpg.5861037f674428a4031b4dd27996fd23.jpg

320991_10151205493852124_304186361_n.jpg.99dee770448db792c9d0aa03f4d75c22.jpg

582449_10151205493897124_1871609061_n.jpg.9ad8b4b6ffd516a9ab642f3c173026ba.jpg

734968_10151205492367124_1911136707_n.jpg.b3a3a3424f77560bfd31754242115a02.jpg

Ok. So I want to post this so other people don't spend the extra money for a "Suite" like we did and end up getting nothing different than a balcony with "priority" boarding, which by the way, didn't really matter anyways. We were booked on the Sensation earlier this month for a guaranteed inside stateroom for a little over $200 total per person. There were 2 adults and a child. Then, the upsell/upgrade fairy calls us trying to upgrade us to the Owner's suite or a Junior Suite. We had booked our flight pretty tight going home and I didn't realize MCO was 40 miles from the pier. So, now I am starting to get a little nervous that we might miss our flight and priority boarding/disembarking sounds pretty good. I am not platinum, so that means we need a suite. I compare the price of the "suite" with what they are going for on similar sailings and feel it is a good deal. Plus, how much would it cost us if we miss our flight? So, we book a junior suite. I look up some information online and now I am wondering if this was the right thing. But, hey, let's just roll with it. We board the ship fast, but seeing as there was no line anyways, the priority boarding didn't really matter. Oh well, our room is ready. We go to our room, which is conveniently located on the verandah deck. When we entered our room, I was disappointed about the size of the room, the size of the bathroom, the width of the balcony, the fact that the balcony overlooked a walkway and the fact that the couch needed to be replaced because the pleather (or whatever it was) was cracked and damaged. I did not think this room resembled a Suite in any way. We were in V6. Thankfully, we did not pay the $1000 more that I have seen them listed for. Still, why call this a suite? I am pretty sure this room was the same size or smaller than their regular balcony cabins. The only difference was the deck (ok, so charge a little more) and the priority boarding. Oh yeah, and some bathrooms that we didn't use anyways. You don't even have a private balcony in these rooms. There is a walkway below. People can stare up at you when you are out there. Besides, there is a open front deck out the exit door that you can go to. And as far as disembarking the ship, we weren't even given priority information or tags. We just packed our stuff up and when people starting exiting the boat, we told the lady we were supposed to be in this group (which we were) and left. We were out front by 0730 and made our flight no problem. We had a great time on this cruise, despite the disappointment in the room. I just don't think it's right that Carnival sells these as Suites when they are no different (or maybe worse) than a regular balcony room. Save your money for something like drinks or excursions.

Most cruise lines have self disembarkation . This means you get off at first but have to carry your own bags ashore.

Sorry about your disappointment!:( I would have been a little pissed off too!!!! Your cabin doesn't look much bigger than a standard balcony on the normal size cruise ships and the balcony looks TIGHT:eek::eek: How was the cruise, otherwise?

A Jr. Suite is certainly a waste of money I think. There are many posters that have come on here and said that. A GS or Ocean Suite are nice and they have some amenities that other don't like lots of storage, but a Jr. Suite--blah!!! I receive priority benefits any way because of platinum. But if you have an early flight you can just go to Guest services and show them. they will give you zone 1 with the platinums and you breeze on out of there.

I hope people will take the time to read this.........although many people don't read a head of time or they would know all the down sides to the Jr. Suites. I bet you didn't have time to have the upsale fairy hold so you can check out reviews!!!

We have only booked Grand Suites (We do think they are worth the money!!) on the Fantasy Class ships because the Junior suites are not private at all!!!

On conquest class ships we always book Ocean Suites and those also are worth the money to us.

We travel with all of our adult children and their spouses and another family and their adult children/spouses. We like the larger rooms for get togethers and we always have the balcony divider opened so our combined balcony is huge!!

I hope the rest of your cruise was nice! Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting. Figure we dont spend that much time in cabin so balcony is all we need.

The Balconies are only 3 feet deep on the Verandah deck Fantasy class. Its hard to sit on the chair & face the ocean. I agree with the OP. Not worth the money.

The rooms are bigger than standard balconies but not layed out as well as on the newer ships.

The Balconies are only 3 feet deep on the Verandah deck Fantasy class. Its hard to sit on the chair & face the ocean. I agree with the OP. Not worth the money.

The rooms are bigger than standard balconies but not layed out as well as on the newer ships.

Our only comparison was a balcony on the Freedom of the Seas 2 years ago and the room and balcony were bigger than this supposed "suite". Anyways, if they would just put smaller chairs on there, it would be better for you to sit facing forward. I just don't get why they put a narrow balcony with big chairs.

As far as disembarking the ship, we tried to go to guest services a couple times but the line was long so we just said forget it. But I was determined to get off of that ship asap no matter what so we could make our 1110 flight! My husband went and asked someone if we could get off with the first group and he told him no. So, I went and asked someone that looked like they were in charge and she said, come on through. There were no issues with that. But since it was our first time on Carnival, I didn't want to take the chance. We had a great time on the cruise. We are the go with the flow type people and don't let things get to us.

The interesting thing is that I just pulled up a junior suite on the Sensation and the picture it shows is not the room we stayed in. From what I can tell, it looks like a grand suite with a larger sitting area. I just feel like carnival is somewhat misleading with this whole "suite" thing on that ship. Maybe it's different on the newer ones. We should have stayed with our inside guarantee.... lol. The extra we paid for the JS would have paid for our bar bill! But, being on the verandah deck was nice because our son frequented the kids club on that floor and the lido deck was only 1 deck down.

We have a Junior Suite and this is how I think about this issue:

Price- The price for the junior suite is less than $100 a person certainly nothing that is going to break the bank lets say or even blink an eye about. The junior suite is a little bit larger than the balcony stateroom and about the balcony being less room it not matter but it is a bit larger than the regular balcony rooms. I not use the balcony more than an hour if that each day. When we do sit on the balcony we like to put our legs up on the rail/glass, so the issue being narrow and can't sit straight not a big deal it actually be perfect for us the way we like to sit there.

My other half booked up the Grand suite and I told him to spend $700 more is ridicious its not that we using the room and balcony much, maybe if we went to Alaska then it be useful but not for this cruise but to worry about less than 200 is ridicious.

Privacy? No cruise that I been on is actually totally private. On many RCI ships the balconies face one another depending upon the build of the ship, many promenade cabins on RCI also look onto eachother. Ever notice when you have a balcony or outside cabin you still get to see the inside of the cabin next door via glare? I not care whether people look in because if I am sleeping the curtains are closed I not keep them open or do I want to keep the balcony door open what for humidity to get into the room? We like people watching so to see people is not a big deal to me, I not care if I am only dressed in my nighty and they see me, I still have something on and not ashamed. I also have a little bit of a problem with heights and going to the ledge so having the lido deck right below me is perfect I won't have that fear with this room.

So for under 200 more why not get a junior suite I say. To each their own.

The balcony is smaller than a regular balcony by 5 feet. Doesn't seem like much but there is a difference. Everyone has a choice and your's (from many posts I have see is the Jr. Suite). If that is what you like then there is not anyone trying to talk you out of it. They were just stating their opinion so that others would know what things were like.

I am sure you will have a great time.

I think the OP was trying to let those that have never purchased a Jr. Suite what they would be getting and the other posters were just reiterating what they found to be the situation. When one thinks of a suite they normally think of a spacious room and this is not the case.

Price- The price for the junior suite is less than $100 a person certainly nothing that is going to break the bank lets say or even blink an eye about. The junior suite is a little bit larger than the balcony stateroom and about the balcony being less room it not matter but it is a bit larger than the regular balcony rooms. I not use the balcony more than an hour if that each day. When we do sit on the balcony we like to put our legs up on the rail/glass, so the issue being narrow and can't sit straight not a big deal it actually be perfect for us the way we like to sit there.

My other half booked up the Grand suite and I told him to spend $700 more is ridicious its not that we using the room and balcony much, maybe if we went to Alaska then it be useful but not for this cruise but to worry about less than 200 is ridicious.

Privacy? No cruise that I been on is actually totally private. On many RCI ships the balconies face one another depending upon the build of the ship, many promenade cabins on RCI also look onto eachother. Ever notice when you have a balcony or outside cabin you still get to see the inside of the cabin next door via glare? I not care whether people look in because if I am sleeping the curtains are closed I not keep them open or do I want to keep the balcony door open what for humidity to get into the room? We like people watching so to see people is not a big deal to me, I not care if I am only dressed in my nighty and they see me, I still have something on and not ashamed. I also have a little bit of a problem with heights and going to the ledge so having the lido deck right below me is perfect I won't have that fear with this room.

The balcony is smaller than a regular balcony by 5 feet. Doesn't seem like much but there is a difference. Everyone has a choice and your's (from many posts I have see is the Jr. Suite). If that is what you like then there is not anyone trying to talk you out of it. They were just stating their opinion so that others would know what things were like.

I am sure you will have a great time.

I think the OP was trying to let those that have never purchased a Jr. Suite what they would be getting and the other posters were just reiterating what they found to be the situation. When one thinks of a suite they normally think of a spacious room and this is not the case.

My comments were for the Fantasy class ships only. If you book a Jr Suite on a Fantasy Class ship it will be more like a regular balcony on a newer class ship. But with a smaller balcony.

The balconies on Spirit class ships are 4 by 10ft the rest are 3.5 by 10ft. Jr.Suites on the newer ships are quite nice. Never stayed in one but been in a couple of them.

You make my point for me by saying that it would be ridiculous to pay $700 more for a grand suite because you aren't in the room or balcony that much. I looked up a cruise for the end of next month and the price difference for a balcony vs a JS is $500 for 3 people (the number of people we had). I personally would be very mad if I paid $500 to "upgrade" from a regular balcony to a Jr. Suite only to find out it really wasn't much different. If you like the Jr. Suite, that's great. But I would think that most people do not feel like it's a good deal to spend $300-$500 more for a room that's essentially the same. Also, here's the picture that carnival has on their booking site of a Junior Suite below. THIS IS NOT THE ROOM WE GOT. So, isn't a bit of false advertising on their part? Picturing a different room? Just FYI for those out there to be informed. That's all.

1332404068_carnivalpicofJSonsensation.jpg.6e15f201a7f90701add349d3e22e3d0c.jpg

The poster that I was speaking to is on a Fantasy class ship.

My comments were for the Fantasy class ships only. If you book a Jr Suite on a Fantasy Class ship it will be more like a regular balcony on a newer class ship. But with a smaller balcony.

The balconies on Spirit class ships are 4 by 10ft the rest are 3.5 by 10ft. Jr.Suites on the newer ships are quite nice. Never stayed in one but been in a couple of them.

Gusandgidetsmom...your right many think of a suite as being a very large size room. I always thought of a junior suite as having an extra chair but I think they do have more closet and shelve space as well as maybe double sinks in the bathroom, but I guess I see for myself when I do go. I think if there is more than 2 people in this stateroom the balcony would be tight. Honestly, not sure about being that high on that type of class ship but it be something we either like or hate, I am hoping it be quiet since there are less rooms up there.

allison0523- I think and not positive but the junior suite does give a vanity area near the bathroom and double sinks in bathroom and gives more shelving and closet space so it is good for that. I think paying 500 more for a junior suite compared to a balcony is not worth that price, but for my sailing its only $190.00 more and that will include the priority boarding/disembarkation so we see it as something we shouldn't pass up.

I can understand your frustration with the misrepresentation of the cabin pictures and what you got. We stayed in V30, Carnival Elation, in November and it's a junior suite with an obstructed view. It was my first cruise and I enjoyed it. It was cheaper per person/day than non-obstructed views and our particular view was hardly obstructed so to me the value was better. I don't remember how much, but I just did a mock booking for Sensation and non-obstructed were +$20/pp/day.

I looked and looked for some good pics of these cabins before I left and found some to be totally wrong or poor representations. That's why it's so great to have sites like this with real pictures and opinions.

For me, I loved the balcony. Privacy wasn't an issue as there never seemed to be too many people walking below and the passengers beside us weren't out on theirs too much. Lots of closet & shelf space, one sink in bathroom, vanity and mini-fridge/bar area. I liked it and felt happy with the value. BUT I knew I wouldn't be cruising again for a while so the money spent was worth it. For others who could roll that money into two cruises, well that sounds good too. This is the group my sister falls in.

My sister has always cruised either inside or ocean view. She felt the balcony was nice, but didn't find the space that much bigger than an OV on the Magic. I've posted some pics in a thread called "Elation Opinions" if anyone wants to see the cabin.

Like SO many things on a cruise, it's personal. What's good value to one isn't to another. It's the sharing the information & pictures that is so valuable.

I have booked a suite on a Fantasy class ship, but I knew exactly what I was paying for. The room is no bigger than a balcony room on any other class of ship, and the balcony is very tiny, but you are paying for a "suite."

IMHO, Carnival is being a little disingenuous by calling these cabins "suites". Unless the room is larger than a standard room, it should be referred to as a balcony cabin and priced as such.

Are all of the obstructed jr suites that bad for privacy? I read one review where the OP said he could literally shake hands with the people on the walkway from his balcony!

On a fantasy class ship there is no option for a balcony unless you book some sort of "suite," so it isn't like I could book a straight balcony room & save $.

Would love to book a grand suite but the cost on the Inspiration can be so high.

allison0523- I think and not positive but the junior suite does give a vanity area near the bathroom and double sinks in bathroom and gives more shelving and closet space so it is good for that. I think paying 500 more for a junior suite compared to a balcony is not worth that price, but for my sailing its only $190.00 more and that will include the priority boarding/disembarkation so we see it as something we shouldn't pass up.

Lyndamr you should go back and look at the pictures the OP posted. What you are describing is a delux suite. There are no double sinks or vanity area. The bathroom is the exact same as inside and oceanview cabins on that ship.

The reason they call them suites on the Fantasy class ships is because there are no balconies on most Fantasy class ships unless they've been added in as Carnival is now doing.

Are all of the obstructed jr suites that bad for privacy? I read one review where the OP said he could literally shake hands with the people on the walkway from his balcony!

The privacy wasn't an issue for us. The deck below was far enough away that the few passengers/crew members we saw were no bother.

The public observation deck at the front of the ship may have been a little too close for privacy for some balconies further forward, but not ours.

If you had neighbours out on their balconies a lot, it might bother you, but we didn't experience that. Here's a pic.

>

CWCruisers thank you for the info! Its ok if no double sink as we not in the bathroom together anyways at the same time. I just was told those things from another web site but thank you for letting others here know that was not the right info. I wonder whether there is any additional drawer or closet space.

We were in a balcony cabin on the Dream this past October the cabin size was fine was 185', the junior suite here on the Fascination is 220', Im just glad its not any smaller.

Lyndamr you should go back and look at the pictures the OP posted. What you are describing is a delux suite. There are no double sinks or vanity area. The bathroom is the exact same as inside and oceanview cabins on that ship.

The reason they call them suites on the Fantasy class ships is because there are no balconies on most Fantasy class ships unless they've been added in as Carnival is now doing.

No double sink, but we did have a vanity on Elation. Our counter/vanity area is smaller than the OP as ours had corner bar shelving and mini-fridge.

487163_10151310522896348_588741565_n.jpg