Grandeur- when is dry dock?

We are interested in sailing out of Baltimore on the Grandeur but not sure if we want to sail on a 22 yo ship! We have been on many cruises on both older and brand new ships. However, we have never been on a 22 yo ship! Heard that the ship had or will soon be refurbished.

Any info about dry dock would be appreciated!

It was May 2017. Next one sometime in 2022.

It was mostly to inspect and repair mechanicals as required along with the usual carpet changes and painting. Not a major refurbishment though.

Actually, given her age, Grandeur has to drydock twice in 5 years, they can no longer do the underwater survey at the mid-period. So, I would guess that it would be late this year (Oct-Dec).

I was on her last year and they did some repairs on the damage on the pool deck.

We didn't notice any age problems or looks compared to a new ship like Anthem. She is doing really well and is a lovely ship, enjoy.

Actually, given her age, Grandeur has to drydock twice in 5 years, they can no longer do the underwater survey at the mid-period. So, I would guess that it would be late this year (Oct-Dec).

I remember reading something on here that in place of a second drydock within that 5 year period there are ways to accomplish the same testing and inspections or is that for ships that may be a bit younger than her?

I remember reading something on here that in place of a second drydock within that 5 year period there are ways to accomplish the same testing and inspections or is that for ships that may be a bit younger than her?

Up to 15 years old, a ship can use a UWILD (Underwater Inspection in lieu of Drydocking), which requires a diver to film not only the propellers, rudders, pods, thrusters, stabilizers, and all openings in the hull (sea water inlet/outlet), but to closely film nearly every inch of welds on the hull for corrosion. This can be used in place of the mid-period (2.5 years +- 6 months) drydocking. Once a ship reaches 15 years old, the rules for the "Special Hull Survey #3" change and the UWILD is no longer an option.

Up to 15 years old, a ship can use a UWILD (Underwater Inspection in lieu of Drydocking), which requires a diver to film not only the propellers, rudders, pods, thrusters, stabilizers, and all openings in the hull (sea water inlet/outlet), but to closely film nearly every inch of welds on the hull for corrosion. This can be used in place of the mid-period (2.5 years +- 6 months) drydocking. Once a ship reaches 15 years old, the rules for the "Special Hull Survey #3" change and the UWILD is no longer an option.

Thanks Chief.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on her last week. Grandeur is still a great ship and she continues to hold the mantle of best cruise since 2014. I've sailed on her 4 times now. If you're looking for a classic cruise experience, Grandeur has it in spades. Don't go on Grandeur if you're looking for ice skating or bumper cars. Go on Grandeur if you want to relive what cruising was like in the earlier days, when all the shows are scheduled around set dining time. Lounges and bars litter the ships and the activities are setup to have you interact with your fellow cruisers.