Where to get Australian and NZ dollars?

There will be 3 of us on a cruise to NZ and Aus. Feb. 2014 and I wonder how acceptable US dollars are? I believe that we should convert to the correct country currency, but my husband says just wait to get there to exchange money. What about transports from airports to hotels, will they accept US dollars? I hope someone can help us. Thanks in advance.

Pat

I usually get my cash from an ATM in the airport (best exchange rate but with some cards you will have a fee). If you cannot find one, there are always exchange kiosks in the airport but they normally have poor exchange rates and charge a fee. Since there are three of you it might be easier for you to get some foreign currency in advance from your local bank. I would only get it for where you get off the plane not for both countries.

I did not find any places in Australia that would take US$.

The currency of Australia is the Australian dollar. Nothing else so nothing else is accepted. We are not a third world nation which is where you usually find other currency's being accepted due to the currency's stability.

However, some large department stores may offer an exchange service but the rates will be against you.

Taxi's amd hotels do accept credit cards, which of course will be converted from the A$ and billed in your home currency however, while using credit cards in commonplace in stores and hotels, not sure whether personally I trust taxis and credit cards. I have heard some disappointing stories out of that industry of skimming machines and false charges that, even if its a small bad minority make me wary of using them. Airports do have exchange booths and ATMs you can use to get out currency but the minimum denominations are $20 and $50 notes so once again, I would break these up at the airport by buying a coffee etc so you can give nearer the exact change to the driver rather than a large note and find he pretends he doesn't have change.

I know that the OP probably asked the question in all innocence.

However, I find it mildly insulting that many Americans assume their currency will be accepted in other countries.

As someone else posted, Australia and NZ are not Third World countries that gratefully accept US dollars. We have our own currencies and, until very recently, the Australian dollar was worth more than the US dollar.

It isn't hard to get the appropriate money for the countries you are visiting - either get it in advance from your bank, or get it from an ATM at the airport.

Some taxi drivers will accept credit cards, but you should ask in advance, befpore getting in the cab.

I wonder how many people would find it odd if we people from Downunder expected to use our currencies in the USA?

Hi Pat

I think I'm on the same cruise as you in Feb, travelling with NZ1 who has posted on the roll call.

If you are looking to change currency in Auckland some ANZ bank branches including one on Queen Street (Main shopping street in central Auckland) will change foreign currency to $NZ for 0% commission / fees.

Most taxi's or shuttles will take a credit card to get to the hotel or you can just get some cash at the airport.

There is a travelex branch in AKL arrivals just before duty free, but they generally offer the worst exchange rates and of course there are ATM's at the airport.

You can pick up Aussie currency in NZ as well but would be just as easy to get it at home or once in Sydney :)

I suggest getting Aussie and NZ currency before leaving home. I am sure you will be able to order it from your bank.

You can use a credit card to pay a taxi fare, but in Australia at least, taxis charge a high fee to allow you to use the card. :)

I was really just asking a question, I was not being so arrogant as to believe that the US dollar is acceptable currency world wide. I was just wondering if it would be better to obtain the currency before leaving home or was it available at the airports. I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this board.

Thanks for those answers to my question. Pat

I was really just asking a question, I was not being so arrogant as to believe that the US dollar is acceptable currency world wide. I was just wondering if it would be better to obtain the currency before leaving home or was it available at the airports. I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this board.

My bank (here in the States) gets foreign currency for me. I like to arrive with a little of the local money to tip porters, pay for a cab, buy a coffee. I'm usually a bit braindead upon arrival after a long plane trip and just don't want to think about getting money! Afterwards, if I need more, I use my debit card.

Oh, and FWIW, I didn't think that you were assuming that American dollars were good everywhere. ;)

Dont worry about beating yourself up lol

I have used Australian Dollars in London England and USA Dollars in many other countries in the world because a sale is a sale.

Get a small amount of cash at home in AU and NZ dollars then use ATM,s for cash when you get overseas but dont draw out small amounts because of fees. :)

Dont change money at an Airport you will get a lot less value.

If you tendered a $20 US bill for a $15 Australian cab fare I am pretty certain not one single cabby would turn it down as payment:D

My bank (here in the States) gets foreign currency for me. I like to arrive with a little of the local money to tip porters, pay for a cab, buy a coffee. I'm usually a bit braindead upon arrival after a long plane trip and just don't want to think about getting money! Afterwards, if I need more, I use my debit card.

Oh, and FWIW, I didn't think that you were assuming that American dollars were good everywhere. ;)

No tipping in Australia and New Zealand.

Hi Patty,

I'm not really offended. It's just that yours was one of several on a similar theme and I was feeling a bit jaded. I'm sorry I reacted a bit bitchy.

I've been stuck in Vancouver since we got off a cruise here on May 1st. My husband was taken ill here and spent 11 days in hospital. Happily, he's a lot better and we will be heading home to NZ tomorrow.

Vancouver is a lovely city, but being here for almost a month was not in our travel plans!

Thank goodness we had travel insurance - the hospital bill would have been horrendous!

It may also be worth pointing out that Australian dollars are not accepted in New Zealand and vice versa. Totally different countries.

Although it's not unusual to find NZ 20c coins floating around in circulation in Australia and being passed off as Australian 20c coins. They're the same size and shape - and most people don't look too closely at the change they're given.

Hi Pat

I think I'm on the same cruise as you in Feb, travelling with NZ1 who has posted on the roll call.

If you are looking to change currency in Auckland some ANZ bank branches including one on Queen Street (Main shopping street in central Auckland) will change foreign currency to $NZ for 0% commission / fees.

Most taxi's or shuttles will take a credit card to get to the hotel or you can just get some cash at the airport.

There is a travelex branch in AKL arrivals just before duty free, but they generally offer the worst exchange rates and of course there are ATM's at the airport.

You can pick up Aussie currency in NZ as well but would be just as easy to get it at home or once in Sydney :)

Hi co101_nz

Come on over to our Roll Call and say hi! Glad you have joined Cruise Critic - you will both become addicted I am sure!

Hi Patty,

I've been stuck in Vancouver since we got off a cruise here on May 1st. My husband was taken ill here and spent 11 days in hospital. Happily, he's a lot better and we will be heading home to NZ tomorrow.

Vancouver is a lovely city, but being here for almost a month was not in our travel plans!

Thank goodness we had travel insurance - the hospital bill would have been horrendous!

Wishing you safe traveling back to NZ, you will be pleased to get home.

No tipping in Australia and New Zealand.

Not quite correct, some restaurant staff expect tips, some don't. Service charges are sometimes put on restaurant bills in Australia. I generally tip cabbies by rounding out fare, e.g. $35 fare, give them $40 if they have given me decent service. Likewise waiters/waitresses in restaurants. But that is my personal choice, not the choice of others.

Cele, Certainly hope that your husband is on the mend and that he will be resting in NZ in his favorite chair soon. What a shock to find yourself in a foreign country, sick and having to stay a month longer than planned. Wishing you the best. Pat

Cele, Certainly hope that your husband is on the mend and that he will be resting in NZ in his favorite chair soon. What a shock to find yourself in a foreign country, sick and having to stay a month longer than planned. Wishing you the best. Pat

Thanks, Pat.

I guess if we had to be stuck anywhere, Vancouver is one of the better places.

Everyone has been so kind and helpful: the paramedics when I called 911, the staff at 3 different hotels who helped find me alternative accommodations (Vancouver is pretty full) and, above all, the doctors and nurses at St Paul's Hospital. It's left us with a very good impression of Canadians!

Thankfully, my DH is much improved, although he'll have to continue tests and treatment when we get home. This isn't going to be a "quick fix" and cruising will be on hold for a while.

Not quite correct, some restaurant staff expect tips, some don't. Service charges are sometimes put on restaurant bills in Australia. I generally tip cabbies by rounding out fare, e.g. $35 fare, give them $40 if they have given me decent service. Likewise waiters/waitresses in restaurants. But that is my personal choice, not the choice of others.

I have not seen anyone give a cruise dock luggage porter a tip in Australia:D

In Long Beach CA my in-laws only tipped $2 and the porter threw their bags into a luggage cage I gave him 2x $5 for ours and he placed them nice and gentle into a luggage cage closer to the ship:D

Not sure which is the best system? being treated second best because the TIP wasnt big enough or being treated equal without any TIPs involved?

I have not seen anyone give a cruise dock luggage porter a tip in Australia:D

In Long Beach CA my in-laws only tipped $2 and the porter threw their bags into a luggage cage I gave him 2x $5 for ours and he placed them nice and gentle into a luggage cage closer to the ship:D

Not sure which is the best system? being treated second best because the TIP wasnt big enough or being treated equal without any TIPs involved?

I think I saw a sign at the Sydney cruise terminal (old wharf 8) that no tips were to be given to the porters.:) Good system.

You would be surprised at how many people think the U.S. Dollar is the universal currency.
I know! On the Spirit repositioning cruise, there were quite a few Americans who were disgusted that we don't accept U.S. dollars here in Australia. The CD Stu mentioned the fact in a talk about disembarkation and I was amazed at how genuinely pee'd off some people were about it. :rolleyes:

Archived