Wine & Champagne Policy

Tony O

Found this on NCL website

Do they really charge you a corkage fee even if it's for consumption in your stateroom ?

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Do they really charge you a corkage fee even if it's for consumption in your stateroom ?

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

Yes. Take it in your carry on. They'll charge the corkage fee to your onboard account at the terminal before you board. If you put it in your checked bags you'll probably have to go to the naughty room to claim you bag and pay the corkage fee then. Once we put our wine in our checked bag on Carnival and they just confiscated it with no opportunity to pay the corkage fee.

Edited by C-line
I said you had to "pay" the fee at the terminal, I meant it gets charged to your account.

Wine & Champagne Policy

YES. When you come onboard any wine or champagne you bring aboard gets a $15 charge to your shipboard account.

I guess what I look at is "what is the difference in the quality of the wine/champagne that I'm bringing compared to what's available on the ship"?

A 750ml of good wine goes for around $15 (note, I said good) and on the ship you'll pay close to double that. Champagne hmm depending on the brand you like $65-85 (also note... I'm Canadian and pay a dear price for alcohol including wine... also spelled whine) so if you want a good champagne and don't want to pay upwards of $120 - $249 on the ship.... $15 + what you paid for it prior to boarding might be a good deal.

Just for example; our favourite (we had this at our wedding a few years ago) is Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label

PRICE $ 112.10 on the Jade and I think it would be + 18%... could be wrong about that.

another example: Moet & Chandon Dom Perignon

PRICE $ 234.82 ( I don't care for it that much so no worries for me :p )

So, yep $15 on every bottle you bring onboard but, how does it compare with the price you'd pay in a wine store prior to boarding?

Cheers,

Yes. Take it in your carry on. They'll charge the corkage fee to your onboard account at the terminal before you board. If you put it in your checked bags you'll probably have to go to the naughty room to claim you bag and pay the corkage fee then. Once we put our wine in our checked bag on Carnival and they just confiscated it with no opportunity to pay the corkage fee.

Carnival allows one bottle per person. I am surprised they took it unless you had extra which you are allowed to bring if you pay corkage.

Candi

Didn't Carnival change their policy just recently? I think they did. No liquids allowed. (correction)

From the Carnival webstie:

Liquor and Beverage Policy - Effective July 9, 2015

For safety reasons, guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception: At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may carry on in their hand luggage, one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person. A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in a main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Any hard liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic beverage, and non-alcoholic beverages, outside of the exceptions referenced above, are strictly prohibited (in both carry-on and checked luggage) and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

For those who've cruised Carnival, how much of a change is this?

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Carnival allows one bottle per person. I am surprised they took it unless you had extra which you are allowed to bring if you pay corkage.

Candi

carnival allows one bottle per person in carry-on bag only. if its in your checked back, they take it and do not return it.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Yes. They mean exactly what they post as their policy. Bring a bottle on board and pay at the door. No other beverages are allowed on for any price.

Yes. They mean exactly what they post as their policy. Bring a bottle on board and pay at the door. No other beverages are allowed on for any price.

I am capable of reading and understanding the policy.

The post was to see if the policy has been changed or modified.

Since you may not be aware that cruise line do change policy.

They do have a habit of not updating their website in a timely manner.

I make it easy on myself...get the drink package. Bring a nice glass water bottle (or two), empty of course, with you from home.

Then whenever you are headed back to your room (like back from the gym, breakfast/lunch, wherever), stop by a bar and get a glass of wine. Take it back to your room and pour it into your glass bottle. If you and DH/DW are doing this, you will always have a glass or two on hand in your room. :D

The corkage fee isn't just the service charge for having somebody open your bottle. The fee discourages some people from bringing wine aboard. For those who do bring something aboard, the money offsets the revenue the cruise line didn't realize because you did not purchase this profitable item from them. I almost always bring some champagne aboard because I don't like their offerings.