USA welcomes Queen Victoria World Cruise

Slow Foxtrot

After ten continuous days at sea involving five days of storms and force 10 winds Queen Victoria finally berthed at dawn today at Fort Lauderdale.

However, due to incompetence at Customs and Immigration, hundreds of passengers (many of them elderly and some infirm) were forced to queue for around two hours before finally being given permission to proceed ashore.

This meant that despite arriving at dawn many passengers were unable to leave the port buildings until the early afternoon !!

Immigration officials offered a variety of excuses including 'slow computers', 'Queen Victoria only comes here once a year so needs extra checking' etc. All this regardless of the fact that all these passengers were in possession of the ESTA document already checked and approved by the authorities.

Apparently this sort of thing happens regularly at Fort Lauderdale and in view of the anger of hundreds of passengers it would be no surprise if Cunard were to omit Fort Lauderdale from its future itineraries.

Hi Slow Foxtrot, We had the same thing in Canada aboard the QM2 at most ports. Most days we just hung around until after noon to finally disembark and missed some valuable port time and she docks in these ports several times a year. Same thing in Boston. It's not as if these people don't have enough practice. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your trip.

By "proceed ashore" do you mean clear customs/immigration with luggage? When I've experienced a delayed disembarkation (going from the ship to the baggage hall) there have been comfortable places to sit and wait aboard the ship so I don't think you're referring to that step.

I'm very sorry for the distress caused to QV passengers and crew as a result of delayed disembarkation. As Brigitte mentioned, I have also experienced similar issues in some Canadian ports as well as Port Boston.

No doubt sometimes these excessive delays could be avoided. On the other hand, there can be good reason for delay (and more often than not, we won't know the reason for enhanced security). One example....

In April 2011, an attempt was made to smuggle 9 Chinese immigrants into the US aboard the QM2. The Malaysian smuggler and the 9 immigrants were taken into custody by US Border and Custom Control at the Red Hook port.

"...The accused smuggler, Fatt Kwee Wong, told agents he was paid $3,000 for each of the nine passengers by an unidentified person in China. The illegal immigrants also forked over $500 each when they boarded the ship in Dubai, according to court papers...

"The illegal immigrants were not stowaways - their names appeared on the boat's manifest - and they had access to the ship's spectacular amenities..."

copied from http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/malaysian-man-smuggled-illegal-chinese-immigrants-brooklyn-queen-mary-2-authorities-article-1.143516

How that happened, I have no idea. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Disembarking from QV in Ft Lauderdale 2 years ago we waited in the immigration queue for almost 2 hours, and we are US citizens. As we were in the queue there was nowhere to sit, and we felt very sorry for a lot of the passengers as it must have been simply awful for them. Not a good introduction to the US. I know that border security is vitally important, but Brooklyn and Manhattan seem to be able to do a much better job. Maybe we were just lucky in Boston, as they were very efficient the last time we disembarked there.

It's never easy disembarking from the magic of shipboard life, I do wish more thought could be put into making it a less obnoxious procedure. Maybe free Margaritas would help.

US immigration needs massive improvement, whether it be airports or ports. It is clear that the officers are working hard (I wonder if they're not being worked too hard?). More staff are needed and waiting areas need to be improved.

2 hours in Fort Lauderdale isn't so bad. Try 2.5 hours at JFK - I felt sorry for the elderly passengers who had to stand for so long!

Redhook was pretty easy, although being asked 'do you have any bags/luggage in your pockets?' was a weird experience. I did try to get a correction out of the man, but he was adamant and got cross that I did not have any bags or luggage in my pockets.

I didn't get patted down and drug tested at least. Funny really. Of all the countries in the world I'd expected that, I didn't. Everywhere else I do...every single time.

Being a solo young man probably makes me a target.

Saw the Queen Victoria in port when my cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette arrived in Ft Lauderdale. We did early walk off at the port and there were exactly 2 agents checking passports on departing guests. The crew from the ship helping guests told us we did the right thing as the rest were going to be waiting in lines all day. They say the staff at the dock and immigration staff are in a work slow down to get more pay and more staffing. The agents were not using computers at all just looking at passports and asking how much money you were bringing back into the USA. We were about 25 people back in the line and it took us about 20 minutes to get passed through. The walk up to the baggage and check out area was over rough pavement outside the terminal and there was not a single chair or place to sit anywhere.

I did of course take pictures of Queen Victoria but they are just awful as I took them from the garage where my car was parked.

By "proceed ashore" do you mean clear customs/immigration with luggage? ..

I was referring to passengers in transit who merely wished to go ashore so they could see Fort Lauderdale !! However, in the same queue were passengers with luggage so I assume they were leaving the ship for whatever purpose.

Suffice it to say that many passengers hoping to spend the day in Fort Lauderdale were only able to spend half a day - with the consequent result that local businesses lost substantial custom due to this ongoing problem at this port.

From the other comments on this thread it seems that nothing has been done in recent years and this situation will probably continue. And this from a country which once put a man on the moon!!!

"They say the staff at the dock and immigration staff are in a work slow down to get more pay and more staffing."

You mean Federal Employees who are "immigration staff"?? Sorry I don't believe that. That's not how the federal pay system works. You get fired for insubordination...you don't get a raise.

If you mean the dock workers...well that's a union thing and I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in a 'work action' as they like to say.

Edited by Cruise NH

Disembarking the ship to travel home was the worst we have EVER experienced at Fort Lauderdale last January. We stood in line for two hours and we had been one of the first groups to go!

It would make me reluctant to book another voyage that ends there.

Hope the voyage continues well.

Saw the Queen Victoria in port when my cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette arrived in Ft Lauderdale. We did early walk off at the port and there were exactly 2 agents checking passports on departing guests. The crew from the ship helping guests told us we did the right thing as the rest were going to be waiting in lines all day. They say the staff at the dock and immigration staff are in a work slow down to get more pay and more staffing. The agents were not using computers at all just looking at passports and asking how much money you were bringing back into the USA. We were about 25 people back in the line and it took us about 20 minutes to get passed through. The walk up to the baggage and check out area was over rough pavement outside the terminal and there was not a single chair or place to sit anywhere.

I did of course take pictures of Queen Victoria but they are just awful as I took them from the garage where my car was parked.

It took us 4 hrs in line before we could board! Now we know why

Sailed in and out of Fort Lauderdale a few times and never had a problem, our problem has been at Miami airport on arrival from UK.

We had to wait for hours in 2011 on QE at Long Beach CA because US Immigration was upset due to a 1hr delay of our arrival.

This country has no respect for foreign citizens. Understandable, being God's own country.

We had to wait for hours in 2011 on QE at Long Beach CA because US Immigration was upset due to a 1hr delay of our arrival.

This country has no respect for foreign citizens. Understandable, being God's own country.

Probably an unnecessary comment that.

I can't really say that some experiences in Australia are all that much better. And that is across the board, not just for visitors.

• 3 weeks later...
I think just the opposite is true.

Well, our former Chancellor Schroeder used exactly the same expression yesterday in public and on TV: "The US show no respect at all towards other nations, even when the call them friends". I am pretty shure that this was said with approval of chancellor Merkel.

Right now Germans have started to reduce their consumation of goods and services from the US significantly. Cunard is going to suffer from this soon when early bookings for the coming years will drop. But you all are still very welcome here in my country, do not expect any animosity towards individual US citizens. Just behave modestly...

Well, our former Chancellor Schroeder used exactly the same expression yesterday in public and on TV: "The US show no respect at all towards other nations, even when the call them friends". I am pretty shure that this was said with approval of chancellor Merkel.

Right now Germans have started to reduce their consumation of goods and services from the US significantly. Cunard is going to suffer from this soon when early bookings for the coming years will drop. But you all are still very welcome here in my country, do not expect any animosity towards individual US citizens. Just behave modestly...

Without wanting to become too political, I question whether Schroeder requires Merkel's accord before he comments on some issue. He most probably made a unofficial statement - he is out! - and the press took it up and published it, that's all. Very often many politicians or ex-politicians say many things and journalists write many lines without in-depth knowledge and sufficient information. Such words are usually gone with the wind and do not have any effect on the public opinion.

As to the second part of your post, I question the consequences you describe. This still remains to be seen. It certainly would not prevent me from booking a Cunard cruise.

Finally, I think the last sentence of your post was not necessary :eek:, or do you think that Germans always behave in foreign countries as they should?

Greetings,

Cats2010 :)

Partial Quote

...Right now Germans have started to reduce their consumation of goods and services from the US significantly. Cunard is going to suffer from this soon when early bookings for the coming years will drop...

cunardaddict, does this mean you will not be sailing on Cunard ships in the future? -S

Partial Quote

cunardaddict, does this mean you will not be sailing on Cunard ships in the future? -S

Good question - can't give an answer now. I have indeed cancelled a lot of service contracts with US and UK companies. But there are a few services that aren't available anywhere else. As long as Cunard will not install a camera in my suite's bathroom...

Good question - can't give an answer now. I have indeed cancelled a lot of service contracts with US and UK companies. But there are a few services that aren't available anywhere else. As long as Cunard will not install a camera in my suite's bathroom...

Not too paranoid, what?

BTW, Cunard is owned by Carnival Corporation. If you look at the articles of incorporation, you will see that Carnival Corporation is legally incorporated in the Republic of Panama, not the UK and not the USA. Carnival Corporation pays a USA tax rate of about 1%, which is hardly significant - especially since Carnival Corporation benefits from services of approximately 40 USA government agencies.

Believe me, I'm not trying to persuade you to continue sailing on Cunard ships, but if you think that by boycotting Cunard you are delivering a blow to the economy of the USA, you are sadly mistaken.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Not too paranoid, what?

BTW, Cunard is owned by Carnival Corporation. If you look at the articles of incorporation, you will see that Carnival Corporation is legally incorporated in the Republic of Panama, not the UK and not the USA. Carnival Corporation pays a USA tax rate of about 1%, which is hardly significant - especially since Carnival Corporation benefits from services of approximately 40 USA government agencies.

Believe me, I'm not trying to persuade you to continue sailing on Cunard ships, but if you think that by boycotting Cunard you are delivering a blow to the economy of the USA, you are sadly mistaken.

Salacia

America is like anywhere else, you get nice people, you get awkward people, you get nasty people.

I find , at both airports and sea ports, that when first entering the USA, they check everything very carefully and so progress of the lines is slow.

I'm not sure this has much effect on national security as both their Northern and Southern borders are wide open to anyone who is fit enough to walk a few miles.

......I find , at both airports and sea ports, that when first entering the USA, they check everything very carefully and so progress of the lines is slow.

I'm not sure this has much effect on national security as both their Northern and Southern borders are wide open to anyone who is fit enough to walk a few miles.

We have entered America numerous times in the last year and they still check everything carefully. Last month, at Fort Lauderdale, immigration kept us queuing for two hours before being let outside. This despite the fact that all Brits have to be vetted in the UK first in order to obtain an Esta which is an essential document for Brits visiting America. What's the point of all those checks when they do it all again upon arrival?

The crazy thing is that anyone on Queen Victoria who had booked an early departure excursion/tour was waived through with the minimum of fuss whilst those passengers who simply wanted to catch the shuttle bus were kept queuing by immigrations for two hours or more. What's the rationale in that?

Good point about undesirables pouring across the Southern borders. Seems that at Fort Lauderdale they would rather hassle elderly cruisers.

Edited by Slow Foxtrot