Additional flight supplements

Eglesbrech

Every time that a look at a fly cruise the additional costs for a flight from Scotland are significantly more than any other area of the U.K.

I have just looked at one from Malta and every other flight (outwith London which is free) is £20 more. Glasgow is £100 more each.

I know we are further North so more fuel is used but Newcastle is at least as much further North from Bristol as Glasgow is from Newcastle and both are only £20.

Any guesses or indeed knowledge of why P&O do this?

I would doubt it's P&O doing it, it will be the airlines themselves. Try looking at flights yourself maybe and see what prices you get on Expedia.

I just checked for you. Only flights from Glasgow are with Ryanair or Jet2. There are others, but they aren't direct. If you look at Newcastle, it's BA. Personally after our experience I wouldn't fly Ryanair again.

Surcharge flight prices from Birmingham to the Caribbean had risen to £100 when I booked, double from my previous cruise flight but those booking a late saver had an offer of no surcharge. Didn't mind the cruise price drop, its what can happen if you book early, but flights - that seems to rub salt in the wound especially as Gatwick is no surcharge but when I flew from there the flight was longer so what is the surcharge for, I'm puzzled.

Every time that a look at a fly cruise the additional costs for a flight from Scotland are significantly more than any other area of the U.K.

I have just looked at one from Malta and every other flight (outwith London which is free) is £20 more. Glasgow is £100 more each.

I know we are further North so more fuel is used but Newcastle is at least as much further North from Bristol as Glasgow is from Newcastle and both are only £20.

Any guesses or indeed knowledge of why P&O do this?

Try flying from Cardiff over £100 difference

I would doubt it's P&O doing it, it will be the airlines themselves. Try looking at flights yourself maybe and see what prices you get on Expedia.

I just checked for you. Only flights from Glasgow are with Ryanair or Jet2. There are others, but they aren't direct. If you look at Newcastle, it's BA. Personally after our experience I wouldn't fly Ryanair again.

Thanks, that's helpful. I would not consider Ryanair either but Jet2 are ok.

If a company isn’t based at an airport or have facilities for crew etc there may be additional costs transporting them, hotels when they are away from home base etc. All adds to cost.

I can understand that is probably why London or Manchester are always cheaper but in my booking experience to date the extra always seems to only apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow. I don't see other smaller airports having any more permanent basis but they seem to cost less.

• 5 years later...

I am trying to book canaries cruise for March 2024.  We are just back and had a great time.  The price has increased over £500 and it seems to be the flight supplement from Glasgow is £175 each which is £350 so explains most of the increase.  All airports are £50 except for newcastle and glasgow.  why is this the case 

We booked two Azura cruises for winter 22/23 when the cruises were launched and the flight supplements were £50pp for flights from/to Manchester for both of those cruises.  London is a bit nearer, so not that unreasonable imo.

Edited by tring

23 minutes ago, tring said:

We booked two Azura cruises for winter 22/23 when the cruises were launched and the flight supplements were £50pp for flights from/to Manchester for both of those cruises.  London is a bit nearer, so not that unreasonable imo.

But why should Glasgow have a supplement of £175 versus £50 for Manchester. ? 

1 hour ago, caroline55 said:

I am trying to book canaries cruise for March 2024.  We are just back and had a great time.  The price has increased over £500 and it seems to be the flight supplement from Glasgow is £175 each which is £350 so explains most of the increase.  All airports are £50 except for newcastle and glasgow.  why is this the case 

I would guess that demand is not high enough for charters from these 2 airports, so the price will be based on scheduled prices.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But why should Glasgow have a supplement of £175 versus £50 for Manchester. ? 

I made no comment whatsoever on the cost of flights for Glasgow.  I had said our flight supplements to Manchester on cruise launch were £50pp and not £20pp as seen more recently by the OP.

Perhaps P&O have been reducing the non Scottish regional flight supplements to £20 for some reason - perhaps a lot of availability for specific flights and they want to fill them - I was thinking of saying that in my post, but chose not to, as purely my speculation.  "Bums on seats" will be an important point for P&O though, as they will not want to take some planes part empty whilst others become unavailable.

Edited by tring