Chocolate Melting Cake

pamrose228

What is the famous CMC? Something ...man's contest?

Chocolate Melting Cake sounds good, Could someone describe it?

You might like the Volcano Cake in the Pinnacle for dinner. Try it with whipped cream and ice cream!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Going on my first HAL cruise and knowing they are under yhe Carnival umbrella does HAL have the famous CMC or something similar.

What else do HAL and CCL share?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome and you are asking a very interesting question. There are some who have sailed both and can be more specific in answering you. Yes, as noted the CMC is probably the same thing as the Chocolate Volcano Cake - with the oozing melting center - some sort of microwave baking trick I think. Very good.

One keeps hearing HAL ships are becoming more like Carnival ships ...after they were taken over by Carnival Cruise lines (about 30 years ago!). So the interesting report will be yours when you return - I hope you follow this up with your own report about what you found similar and what you found to be uniquely Holland America.

Have a good cruise - it will be different for sure, but I hope in a good way. BTW: What ship and where are you going? There are a lot of differences in the HAL experience itself, just based upon which ship you choose - smaller and older or bigger and newer. We are hooked on the smaller and older ships, but others wouldn't sail anything other than the larger and newer.

I have cruised both HAL and Carnival and have never seen anything like the CMC in the regular dining room on HAL. But on our Alaska cruise last month, there was a warm chocolate dessert in a ramekin that was similar to the CMC--just no cake. It should satisfy any chocoholic!

Interestingly the way CMC was first described to me was "chocolate lava cake done poorly".

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Here is a picture of the WCMC (warm chocolate melting cake) that was recently posted to a trip report on the carnival boards.4c2651587355d77f3f20663602c5fd7c.jpg

Oops, hit reply too son

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We wish HAL served the ramekins of WCMC like Carnival! haven't seen it yet and probably won't.

Volcano cake is similar but can vary quite a bit in texture. I think you'll have to go back to Carnival for the real thing, or make it yourself which is what I do now - got the recipe at a Carnival culinary demo. I don't make it often because it's so rich, but it's pretty easy. It is made in the oven, not a microwave, just very decadent ingredients.

What does HAL share with Carnival? Towel Animals. Chocolates on your pillows. Decent sized rooms. Music too loud in the show lounge. Free champagne not worth the calories. Wonderful room stewards. Comfortable beds. Good MDR service. Photos still printed and overpriced. Thee are a few things I think Carnival does better, well one or two,... well at least Warm Chocolate Melting Cake! We went around Cape Horn, LA - NY, on Carnival Splendor, 48 nights and I think DH had WCMC 47 nights! He tried apple pie one night!

Hope you find many things to enjoy on HAL, and without the WCMC maybe you won't gain any weight :) Gotta look on the positive side... m--

Here is the crazy take on this using a microwave and boxed cake products. Essentially make up the cake mix, pour it into form, then dollop the canned icing so it settles in the middle and microwave - not as refined as the real thing for sure, but does instantly cure a chocolate craving.

MICROWAVE CHOCOLATE MOLTEN LAVA CAKE

Ingredients:

• 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus all ingredients needed to prepare the cake- (eggs, milk, butter/oil.)
  • 1 container of chocolate icing
  • any 12 cup capacity microwave safe pan

Suggested microwave safe pans:

Instructions:

• Prepare cake mix as directed and pour into a lightly greased cake pan
  • Using a spoon, drop scoops of icing on top of cake batter. Use all the icing. It should almost completely cover the batter. (don’t mix with the batter—just drop on top. The icing will melt to the bottom and the cake cooks on top, like a pudding cake.)
  • Cook 10 minutes in rotating microwave on HIGH or until done.
  • Let cool for a few minutes, serve warm topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a glass of cold milk.

We wish HAL served the ramekins of WCMC like Carnival! haven't seen it yet and probably won't.

Hope you find many things to enjoy on HAL, and without the WCMC maybe you won't gain any weight :) Gotta look on the positive side... m--

You're joking, right! And if not, tell me your secret of not gaining any weight, pls.

You're joking, right! And if not, tell me your secret of not gaining any weight, pls.

only a couple of spoonfuls, pancreatic and gallblader surgery helps it along and i never drink acholol or eat meat

I am a chocolateholic!!

I love the chocolate volcano cake in the Pinnacle Grill. It is served in bowl with the center almost liquid.

From friends I know who sail Carnival, their's is cake on a plate that when you cut into it, the chocolate flows out.

I agree with you KK!!!!

I always no but my taste buds say yes all the time!!!

Only problem the chocolate like coffee keeps me up at night!! So I lay on the lounger on my balcony with a smile and finally fall asleep!

Denise:)

I agree with you KK!!!!

I always no but my taste buds say yes all the time!!!

Only problem the chocolate like coffee keeps me up at night!! So I lay on the lounger on my balcony with a smile and finally fall asleep!

Denise:)

I don't drink coffee and I do not like HAL's milk chocolate.

DH will eat the milk chocolates but I bring my own dark chocolate to have before we go to bed. Many times the Neptune Lounge no longer has dark chocolate.

I don't drink coffee and I do not like HAL's milk chocolate.

DH will eat the milk chocolates but I bring my own dark chocolate to have before we go to bed. Many times the Neptune Lounge no longer has dark chocolate.

My mother lived to 101 in pretty good health; her secret (according to her)? 2 Dove dark chocolate pieces every night for her last 20 years or so; bring them on board if HAL doesn't have them.

Now that we are all taking about the melting and volcanos, I have to make my chocolate brownie pudding tomorrow.

And I'm thinking about making them using a boxed brownie mix using a hack I saw on Food Network. I must really want these as it is 100 degrees already!

Welcome and you are asking a very interesting question. There are some who have sailed both and can be more specific in answering you. Yes, as noted the CMC is probably the same thing as the Chocolate Volcano Cake - with the oozing melting center - some sort of microwave baking trick I think. Very good.

One keeps hearing HAL ships are becoming more like Carnival ships ...after they were taken over by Carnival Cruise lines (about 30 years ago!). So the interesting report will be yours when you return - I hope you follow this up with your own report about what you found similar and what you found to be uniquely Holland America.

Have a good cruise - it will be different for sure, but I hope in a good way. BTW: What ship and where are you going? There are a lot of differences in the HAL experience itself, just based upon which ship you choose - smaller and older or bigger and newer. We are hooked on the smaller and older ships, but others wouldn't sail anything other than the larger and newer.

going on the Wuiderdam on a partial panana canal cruie in December. HMC. Aruba, curacoa, cartegena, panana and costa rica. CCL and RCI do not sal from port everglades to the pc

Here is a picture of the WCMC (warm chocolate melting cake) that was recently posted to a trip report on the carnival boards.4c2651587355d77f3f20663602c5fd7c.jpg

Oops, hit reply too son

thats it, hard to explain the deliciousness, a little soft cake press down with spoon hot ooziness pours our, with two scoops of vanilla ice cream its called a Mickey Mouse

going on the Wuiderdam on a partial panana canal cruie in December. HMC. Aruba, curacoa, cartegena, panana and costa rica. CCL and RCI do not sal from port everglades to the pc

We followed right behind the Zuiderdam in the locks last year on the Veendam when the Zuiderdam did her partial Canal trip. I like seeing the canal from this direction better than coming in from the Pacific. Very dramatic and you can see the new canal at the same time off in the distance.

This is a great choice for you. I don't think you miss much not doing the entire canal - you do still go up and down and the drama is a lot more close up at this end. Have a wonderful cruise.

We followed right behind the Zuiderdam in the locks last year on the Veendam when the Zuiderdam did her partial Canal trip. I like seeing the canal from this direction better than coming in from the Pacific. Very dramatic and you can see the new canal at the same time off in the distance.

This is a great choice for you. I don't think you miss much not doing the entire canal - you do still go up and down and the drama is a lot more close up at this end. Have a wonderful cruise.

can i ask what excursion you recommend for the pc

We have always done the full transits so we did not have excurions offered. But I see they do offer them on the partial transit as you wait to go back down the locks at that end. Hope someone else can help you - very pretty country side and the history of the early construction at this end of the canal is always interesting.

In Colon there should be an excursion so you can see the Gatun Locks up close from the viewing platform. Very facinating, we could spend all day here.