Wine in San Juan

A&Jfamily

The Carnival policy is not particularly clear about bringing wine on board for cruises leaving out of San Juan: "Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage."

I can make the argument that because the policy references luggage that it is limited to embarkation, but the same back pack that I carry on at embarkation will also be holding the wine I purchase upon re-boarding...

So, my question is, do I need to stop at CVS and get our 2 bottles of wine BEFORE we check in, or can we go through check in, drop luggage and bring our wine back on board after San Juan?

Does anyone know anything more about an official policy? I don't want to buy it and have it confiscated because when we return, we are flying home and it will simply be wasted.

Simple. Drop you luggage off. This is not check in, but dropping it off. When you check in, you go onto the ship, the first time. So are you dropping luggage off? Or are you also checking in, getting on the ship, than getting off the ship to tour, returning later in the day?

You get the wine, and bring it on only at the time, you are checking in. Any other time, is not check in, so therefore, you can't bring it on.

Simple. Drop you luggage off. This is not check in, but dropping it off. When you check in, you go onto the ship, the first time. So are you dropping luggage off? Or are you also checking in, getting on the ship, than getting off the ship to tour, returning later in the day?

You get the wine, and bring it on only at the time, you are checking in. Any other time, is not check in, so therefore, you can't bring it on.

Ahh - sorry I didn't make that distinction. I was planning on boarding and putting the luggage in the room, grabbing some lunch and then heading back into San Juan. We are platinum so our rooms are ready and I would just as soon take the luggage to the room myself - so I can get unpacked and start my cruise without delay. Guess one of us will walk across the street for wine and sunscreen before we board.

Darn good question! I think you probably have your answer.

Anyway, I know from experience that the crew absolutely LOVE stopping in San Juan. It's an easy run across the street to CVS or Walgreens to get their 'essentials' quickly and efficiently. Heard it numerous times from multiple staff members. They have lives as well! Sometimes we too easily forget that. :)

We made multiple trips to the CVS last trip out of San Juan (our favorite place to embark at). No one checks how many times you’ve brought wine on. Can’t wait to sail from San Juan again. But only after they replace the Fascination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You get the wine, and bring it on only at the time, you are checking in. Any other time, is not check in, so therefore, you can't bring it on."

NOT

We brought in 8 bottles from CVS and a 12 pack of ginger ale, 2 at a time, never were questioned.

"You get the wine, and bring it on only at the time, you are checking in. Any other time, is not check in, so therefore, you can't bring it on."

NOT

We brought in 8 bottles from CVS and a 12 pack of ginger ale, 2 at a time, never were questioned.

Hi

So what do you think...are they just being nice in San Juan, or could you theoretically do this at any embarkation port? Logistically this might not be practical at most ports, but it could be at some. I would never have thought of doing this, but obviously I was not thinking it was something allowed.

I will try to remember to report back in a few weeks. It would be a pain to have to leave our sons standing with our luggage while we went across the street to select our wine. As we are flying in, we also need sunscreen, bug spray and air fresheners! I have no intention of breaking the rules and will only bring 2 - whenever we do it.

Yes, you could make multiple trips to get wine if you want, they don’t keep track of when you bring on wine.

This was my experience as well, in two past cruises.

They basically rely on the honor system when bringing on alcohol, and in that regard I am quite dishonorable :evilsmile:.

This was my experience as well, in two past cruises.

They basically rely on the honor system when bringing on alcohol, and in that regard I am quite dishonorable :evilsmile:.

They attached a Bright orange zip tie to my bag with the liquor from the duty free store and when you get to the the top of the ramp there is a carnival rep and liquor table to turn over the bottles. So you have to plan ahead for that ;-)

In years past you could bring on the actual bag from the duty free shop and not a word was said.

Sailed out of SJ 6x, love the Southern Caribbean

We made multiple trips to the CVS last trip out of San Juan (our favorite place to embark at). No one checks how many times you’ve brought wine on. Can’t wait to sail from San Juan again. But only after they replace the Fascination.

What’s wrong with the Fascination?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What’s wrong with the Fascination?

Probably nothing. I have been on the Imagination years ago, and well before any 2.0 updates and had a good time. That was my first cruise and it was only 4 days. For a seven or more day cruise I think we would miss a balcony stateroom. We like balconies. Maybe I’m being too critical, but the two times we’ve sailed from San Juan on the Liberty and the Victory we loved our balcony staterooms and think I would miss it. Love the itinerary out of San Juan. I love starting our vacation already in the Caribbean and meandering from island to island.

Probably nothing. I have been on the Imagination years ago, and well before any 2.0 updates and had a good time. That was my first cruise and it was only 4 days. For a seven or more day cruise I think we would miss a balcony stateroom. We like balconies. Maybe I’m being too critical, but the two times we’ve sailed from San Juan on the Liberty and the Victory we loved our balcony staterooms and think I would miss it. Love the itinerary out of San Juan. I love starting our vacation already in the Caribbean and meandering from island to island.

Just an FYI - Fascination has balconies. Wouldn't cruise without one.

And the answer to the other post about "what was wrong" with her - the answer is nothing. She is simply an older, smaller ship without some of the bells and whistles of the modern ships. Now that she is in dry dock she will have alchemy, bonsai express, blue iguana and red frog. When she was redone years ago and the water park was added up top, she was greatly improved. The only thing that is "missing" IMHO is specialty restaurants - no steak house or other venues in the evening for dinner except Chef's Table. I have zero issue sailing an older smaller ship - especially with these upgrades!

I’ll be on the Fascination in March (on a balcony because that’s just how I cruise lol!). I was just wondering why they said they wanted the Fascination out of San Juan. I’m excited to go on a smaller ship! We’ve come to find that big mega ships like the Magic and Sunshine just aren’t for us. We’ve learned we liked smaller ships like the Valor, Victory, and Liberty so much more because there are lots less people and we can actually get around the ship to do things. I will miss having a steakhouse but I’m glad they’re putting on Blue Iguana and Guy’s. Let the good times roll!