Star Princess Dry Dock

Love.II.Cruise

She (or another ship) had a previous dry dock in San Francisco and there was no live-feed webcam or highlight reel for that (although I think the bridge cam may have been left functioning, but you couldn't see anything going on on the ship itself). So I'd guess the answer to your question is no. Doesn't sound like a particularly sexy dry dock, anyway -- they're not adding or subtracting anything major, like doing a Skywalkerectomy.

I wish Princess would post videos of even the routine maintenance, though. Kind of fun to see the back-of-the-house stuff.

She (or another ship) had a previous dry dock in San Francisco and there was no live-feed webcam or highlight reel for that (although I think the bridge cam may have been left functioning, but you couldn't see anything going on on the ship itself). So I'd guess the answer to your question is no. Doesn't sound like a particularly sexy dry dock, anyway -- they're not adding or subtracting anything major, like doing a Skywalkerectomy.

I wish Princess would post videos of even the routine maintenance, though. Kind of fun to see the back-of-the-house stuff.

I completely agree on seeing the back-of-the-house stuff. We once lived in an area that did dry-docks for cruise ships (mostly military though) and it was awesome to watch! It can also be noisy if you are living in a high rise next to a dry dock... but so cool at the same time. I guess I'll just have to deal with no webcam since nothing major is happening. But seeing a ship out of water can be so amazing. I would have liked to see it.

ROFL! If you want a live feed, it would be like watching paint dry. That's exactly what's being done in this dry dock: scrape and repaint the hull, check and service the engines, clean the thrusters, update electronics (navigation, entertainment, etc.), deep clean public soft goods, etc. You really think watching this would be interesting even if they could put cameras in position?

When a Princess ship has a major construction/modification, Princess has a video diary. But not for a short, routine dry dock. Kind of like videotaping your car going in for a tune-up and oil change. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

...-- they're not adding or subtracting anything major, like doing a Skywalkerectomy.

A skywalkerectomy! rofl

The Grand had a skywalkerectomy because the metal holding it up in the air had started to develop cracks. So rather than rebuild it, they just removed it. The other grand class ships with a skywalker was built with fiberglass instead of metal and have not had the problem of cracking.

We were on a Princess ship a few years ago and they played a recording of the revamping of the Grand including the skywalkerectomy (love that term!) which was really interesting watching them removing the skywalker lounge in one piece. Maybe they will play it again sometime. They added cabins so they had to insert the prefab bathroom into the side of the ship where they had cut a large hole. It was interesting watching them put it into the ship using a large crane. All the regular bathrooms (shower) at least are one piece when delivered to Princess.

According to this website

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

Star Princess is going into dry dock. Will there be a camera or live feed to watch? I know it isn't a major dry dock, but we would still like to see it.

Thanks!

I'll try to drive down and at least get a few pictures :)

I remember the last drydock there.....

Some of the big remodels onboard never got done because many of the crew that flew in were not permitted entry into the US.

..in a "Sanctuary City" :rolleyes: Oh, the irony.

Edited by gcvt

Local news is still freaking out about the "Storm Of The Century" tomorrow.

Looks like we might get some wind and a couple inches of rain. We can see Star from our sofa. Skies are clear and our icicle lights are still.

Good job media :rolleyes:

We are just off the Star on November 24.

According to the staff on board, they are replacing "all" of the carpeting on the ship and some upgrades to the engines and overall power systems.

No major changes (a la International Cafe, Vines, etc). The ship will come back really refreshed. The ship was in really good condition when we were on it and this seems like just progressive maintenance.

Happy Cruising:D:D

On our second Meet & Greet, we invited Mario Alberto, Customer Service Director to speak about the drydock. He spoke for about 10 minutes and the subjects were: 1000 contractors will be fed and housed on the ship. Forty tons of materials and equipment will be loaded as we disembark. Thirty tons of food will also be loaded to feed the contractors and ships crew for 10 days. Twenty thousand yards of carpet was loaded before we left for Hawaii and carpet laying started at mid-night to 8 am, during the 15 days cruise. Also on board was a crew that was wiring the whole ship for Wifi. The dry dock was to inspect the 6 Thruster and 6 diesel engines, along with upgrades. Changing glass panels on deck 14 that were cracked. Paint and refinish the wall panels in the Art Gallery. They expect to be finish in 7 to 8 days and then do a half day sea trials.

On our second Meet & Greet, we invited Mario Alberto, Customer Service Director to speak about the drydock. He spoke for about 10 minutes and the subjects were: 1000 contractors will be fed and housed on the ship. Forty tons of materials and equipment will be loaded as we disembark. Thirty tons of food will also be loaded to feed the contractors and ships crew for 10 days. Twenty thousand yards of carpet was loaded before we left for Hawaii and carpet laying started at mid-night to 8 am, during the 15 days cruise. Also on board was a crew that was wiring the whole ship for Wifi. The dry dock was to inspect the 6 Thruster and 6 diesel engines, along with upgrades. Changing glass panels on deck 14 that were cracked. Paint and refinish the wall panels in the Art Gallery. They expect to be finish in 7 to 8 days and then do a half day sea trials.

Too bad it couldn't be a little longer to add Alfredo's.....:):):)

Bob

Too bad it couldn't be a little longer to add Alfredo's.....:):):)

Bob

Doubt the Star, or Golden, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald or Ruby will get an Alfredo's. The Grand and Sapphire were among the last the get an IC and Vines and Alfredo's was added during those drydocks in 2011/2012. The other ships would end up with a very small Vines with no tapas or sushi served just like on the Grand and Sapphire. As much as we enjoyed Alfredo's on the Sapphire, Grand and Regal, I would rather have the larger Vines area.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Doubt the Star, or Golden, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald or Ruby will get an Alfredo's. The Grand and Sapphire were among the last the get an IC and Vines and Alfredo's was added during those drydocks in 2011/2012. The other ships would end up with a very small Vines with no tapas or sushi served just like on the Grand and Sapphire. As much as we enjoyed Alfredo's on the Sapphire, Grand and Regal, I would rather have the larger Vines area.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I know, but I can dream can't I.....:D:):D

Bob

Did they add carpeting with the red stripes back in the halls so you can tell if you are port or starboard once again ?

We were on the Star Princess nov 14-24 to Mexico. They had already started installing new carpet and pulling wires in the ceiling down the hall. No red in carpet both sides looked the same.

I wish they would replace the "stone" floor in the bar by International Cafe. It was carpet but now uneven face stone and the chairs won't slide. Very hard on passengers not to mention the chairs!

I was in Mission Bay, San Francisco today and noticed the Star Princess up in dry dock. I'm a NCL guy myself (just off the NCL Star last week), but I thought folks here might like to see their ship laid up in dry dock.

This is shot with my phone, but if anyone is actually interested, I will bring my Nikon over with me this week.

Anyway... cheers! Happy Sailing!

p-star-dd3.jpg

http://mrose.org/cc/p-star-dd3.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

I was in Mission Bay, San Francisco today and noticed the Star Princess up in dry dock. I'm a NCL guy myself (just off the NCL Star last week), but I thought folks here might like to see their ship laid up in dry dock.

This is shot with my phone, but if anyone is actually interested, I will bring my Nikon over with me this week.

Anyway... cheers! Happy Sailing!

p-star-dd3.jpg

http://mrose.org/cc/p-star-dd3.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures.....:):):)

Bon