Beware of Balcony!

somogirl

We recently got back from a wonderful cruise to the Caribbean. We like to sleep with our balcony door open so we can listen to the sound of the water, and the first view in the morning is the ocean or a beautiful island. One morning I woke up and thought I was in New York......there was a cruise ship parked directly across from us and people were sitting out on their decks, probably watching us sleeping.:eek:

We recently got back from a wonderful cruise to the Caribbean. We like to sleep with our balcony door open so we can listen to the sound of the water, and the first view in the morning is the ocean or a beautiful island. One morning I woke up and thought I was in New York......there was a cruise ship parked directly across from us and people were sitting out on their decks, probably watching us sleeping.:eek:

Be thankful you were only sleeping!!!

Ciao for now!!!

i dont beleive you are allowed to leave open your balcony door as it affects the air con and what happened if it rained during the night

rkmw

i dont beleive you are allowed to leave open your balcony door as it affects the air con and what happened if it rained during the night

rkmw

You are in fact partially correct. There is no maritime or onboard regulation that I have ever seen onboard requiring balcony doors to remain closed. It is however good common sense and is recommended, as it is less taxing on the A/C and electric power systems.

On our recent Star voyage enroute from Bora Bora to HNL, and Lahaina to LAX we had two incidents wherby the ship's power grid was overtaxed. This resulted in having to reduce the ship's speed in moderate to high seas until the grid could be restored.

Sitting alongside and not underway, the ship's system is not nearly as taxed.

Ciao for now!!!

This sounds really familar. :cool:

Hi, I am relatively new to cruising and also to this site so will appreciate any good advice I can get. My husband and I are booked on the Island Princess leaving Acapulco on Feb. 28/10. We have a balcony cabin reserved and I am sure I will be mindful of closing the drapes, especially if we are close to a port!! Would love to talk to others on the same cruise, or if anyone can give me ideas of good port tours I would appreciate the information.:cool:

Hi, I am relatively new to cruising and also to this site so will appreciate any good advice I can get. My husband and I are booked on the Island Princess leaving Acapulco on Feb. 28/10. We have a balcony cabin reserved and I am sure I will be mindful of closing the drapes, especially if we are close to a port!! Would love to talk to others on the same cruise, or if anyone can give me ideas of good port tours I would appreciate the information.:cool:

Look on the Roll Call thread for Princess, then Island Princess. I bet you'll find a roll call for your sailing. Have a great time!:D

Did you ever think of opening the door but shutting the curtains?

You may not have a view in the morning but either would anyone else! :eek: :D

Also, Marafun, this is your Roll Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=927445

If no one there has any excursion ideas go to the Ports of Call boards and look for each port you will be visiting for lots of really good, reliable excursion info .

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As mentioned above, go to the Roll Call. It is a great place to meat people sailing with you.

As to thedrapes, your cabin steward will close them each evening while you are at dinner.

We had our balcony door open in Acapulco, I think it was, while we were waiting for the sail-away. It was already dark, the cabin lights were on and several black beetles of some kind flew in. We caught what we thought was all of them. Later, after we sailed, my poor hubby wasn't wearing much ... OK ... he wasn't wearing anything, sat on one and it bit him on the rear end. We learned our lesson about shutting the door, at least at night in port.

We also love to leave the balcony door open. We actually take a bungee cord to help keep the door open. I am an early riser so I am always up before we get into ports. Plus you can push the curtains closed.

With Princess ships, you do not need a bungee cord. For Carnival and HAL, you do, but Princess ships have a slider that locks in place wherever you want it. No slamming shut or sliding closed when you don't want it to.

Aft cabins are famous for providing terrific views for the ship that docks right behind you. Usually, the crew on the bridge, the forward-facing cabins and passengers out on deck have a great view of your cabin if you leave your cabin door open.

We had our balcony door open in Acapulco, I think it was, while we were waiting for the sail-away. It was already dark, the cabin lights were on and several black beetles of some kind flew in. We caught what we thought was all of them. Later, after we sailed, my poor hubby wasn't wearing much ... OK ... he wasn't wearing anything, sat on one and it bit him on the rear end. We learned our lesson about shutting the door, at least at night in port.

thanks enjoyed that

One night on my recent Star cruise, I was on my balcony talking with a friend at about 11:00 PM. Suddenly someone shouted "Can you keep it down over there?!" I was suprised that someone would have their door open while sleeping because of the A/C. Who was in the right here? Should I be able to use my balcony at night or should the other folks have the right to quiet with their door open?

Rick

One night on my recent Star cruise, I was on my balcony talking with a friend at about 11:00 PM. Suddenly someone shouted "Can you keep it down over there?!" I was suprised that someone would have their door open while sleeping because of the A/C. Who was in the right here? Should I be able to use my balcony at night or should the other folks have the right to quiet with their door open?

Rick

Did you tell them to get lost? :D

Rick

Rick, I will never forget a cruise we were on with RCI from Sydney to Singapore. We were in a Grand Suite, and we had a few people over at 2:00 in the afternoon for drinks and snacks. We had a very large balcony and we all (all meaning 4 couples) went out on the balcony to take in the views. Of course we were also talking. All of a sudden the phone rang and it was the purser telling us the neighbors reported excess noise from our balcony and we needed to 'keep it down'. I explained we were only talking, no loud partying, just talking. Now, keep in mind this was 2:00 in the afternoon. It was a 19 day cruise, so we decided that next time we gathered it would be earlier, so we met at lunch time, noon. Same thing again, the neighbors called the purser and reported excess noise and we were asked to please be quiet when the phone call came again from the purser.

Needless to say, our butler knocked on the door with a delivery and I asked them what the heck was going on that we could not invite a few friends over for conversation in the middle of the day. The butler told us they had never had this happen in the middle of the day before and even they could not imagine the purser calling, let alone twice.

I guess it all depends on who your neighbors are.

I love balconies, but I try to be very cosiderate of my neighbours. I know on my recent Panama cruise we were three couples with side by side cabins and I know we enjoyed the balcony with drinks every evening before dinner and lots of laughs. But as soon as the sun went down we were quiet. No one complained about the noise during the day.

I sometimes enjoy sleeping with the door open; however noise and smoke often become bothersome and I end up closing the door.

Rick, I will never forget a cruise we were on with RCI from Sydney to Singapore. We were in a Grand Suite, and we had a few people over at 2:00 in the afternoon for drinks and snacks. We had a very large balcony and we all (all meaning 4 couples) went out on the balcony to take in the views. Of course we were also talking. All of a sudden the phone rang and it was the purser telling us the neighbors reported excess noise from our balcony and we needed to 'keep it down'. I explained we were only talking, no loud partying, just talking. Now, keep in mind this was 2:00 in the afternoon. It was a 19 day cruise, so we decided that next time we gathered it would be earlier, so we met at lunch time, noon. Same thing again, the neighbors called the purser and reported excess noise and we were asked to please be quiet when the phone call came again from the purser.

Needless to say, our butler knocked on the door with a delivery and I asked them what the heck was going on that we could not invite a few friends over for conversation in the middle of the day. The butler told us they had never had this happen in the middle of the day before and even they could not imagine the purser calling, let alone twice.

Hmm, maybe it was your nasty neighbors and they just SAID they were the Pursers office!

I also do not think its fair for people to keep their doors open all night,, the cruise line ASKS you not to,, just like they ask you not to be a chair hog,, and to dress for Formal night,, funny how people will pick and choose which rules they will ignore.

I agree probably not the purser calling. :eek:

Archived